Amsterdam/how is she?

newmexicoNita

I may not be the right person to be answering this question since I have never been on a Princess cruise and the ms Amsterdam happens to be my favorite ship in the HAL fleet.

However, I was on the Amsterdam as recently as January of this year - would you consider that an "old" review?

The Amsterdam is one of the two Flagships of the HAL fleet (along with her slightly older sister ship the ms Rotterdam) and to my mind she is absolutely beautiful. If you are looking for an elegant and somewhat traditional cruise experience then the Amsterdam is the ship for you. The Indonesian cabin and dining room stewards are famous for their hospitality, although there have been some mutterings lately about the service in the dining room but I put that down to the fact that the guys have a lot more tables to service due to either cutbacks by HAL in the number of staff or visa problems due to Homeland Security.

HAL is famous for it's beautiful fresh flower arrangements and for its artwork and museum quality antiques in the public areas. Don't expect to find those in your cabin though. However, the cabins are generally spacious (larger than on most cruiselines) and are well maintained. The cabin stewards do a great job most of the time and should you end up with a "newbie" then any complaints are usually taken care of quickly and efficiently.

I'm not really sure what you are looking for in the way of a "review" but I hope that this helped you a little.

Whichever cruiseline you choose I hope that you have a wonderful cruise. By the way, the Panama Canal cruise is one of my favorite cruises and I will probably do it again (for the 5th time) next year - aboard the Amsterdam, of course.;)

Valerie:)

I spent 62 days on the Amsterdam last fall, this was right after she came out of dry dock. I can echo every thing that the previous person just entered. She is a beautiful and elegant ship.:)

We are trying to decide between Princess and HAL for our Panama Canal cruise in November. I need some feedback from those who have sailed the Amsterdam recently? Most of the reviews are pretty old.

I spent 30 days on the Amsterdam in January. I will sail her again in October to the Panama Canal for 13 days.

Wonderful ship.

I had a very extensive review appear in the Reviews section of CC, so rather than repeat much of that information here ... just follow this link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=16114

Blue skies ...

--rita

I spent 30 days on the Amsterdam in January. I will sail her again in October to the Panama Canal for 13 days.

Wonderful ship.

I had a very extensive review appear in the Reviews section of CC, so rather than repeat much of that information here ... just follow this link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=16114

Blue skies ...

--rita

thanks Rita, I think yours was one of the few ones I saw along with a very negative one, but I don't pay too much attention to reviews that are filled with all that went wrong. I am almost certain we are going to go for it1!!!!! NMNita

I was on her in March. She is my favorite ship. Absolutely beautiful and one of the most friendly crews ever. She is head and shoulders above Princess in beauty and cuisine. (And the cabins are much nicer than Princess, especially the bathroom showers)

Try the Amsterdam. You won't be disappointed!

Jill

Its been 5 years since I have sailed the Amsterdam. When I sailed her she was absolutely spectacular and quickly became my favorite ship in the HAL fleet. I can only imagine she's still spectacular. I would sail the Amsterdam in a minute, especially after all the wonderful things the above posters have said about her.

The Amsterdam is a lovely ship.

We were on her for 30 days in January of this year, and found the ship, crew, and facilities to be in perfect order.

No brainer, here....take the Amsterdam.

Pincus

Archived