Question -Need help with 2 Teens in Cabin

hamptod

Hi all, haven't posted in ages, been extremely busy at work. We are leaving on the 11th on the Crown Princess and we have 2 cabins. One balcony and one inside. When booking I put myself and my son in one cabin and my husband and my son's friend in the other cabin across the hall. (Both are 17)

My question is what do we do when we get on board? I of course want my husband to be in the balcony cabin with me and my son and his friend in the other cabin.

I believe we just go to the hotel desk and ask them to switch the keys correct? I am particularly concerned that we get this right because my son and husband both have the same name and I want to make sure that my husband's key is eligible to purchase drinks. My son, thank goodness does not drink (yeah!!) but being the over protective and firm mother that I am, I also don't want to provide him with any temptation either:cool:

Will this be a big problem and hassle? Thank you in advance for your help.

My family and I will be traveling in August and my daughter and I are booked in one cabin and my son and husband in the other. We have side by side cabins but not ajoining. I hadn't thought about the charging drinks issue but we were planning on having the kids (15 and 17.5) in one room and us in the other. This raises a whole new concern.

Let me know how you work it out.. I have been told that Princess and many lines want an adult over 21 in each room so we are crossing our fingers that we can do this.

We booked TWO inside rooms for the teens and one balcony for DH and myself. Just switch the keys between yourselves and don't bother with the front desk. The steward doesn't care who sleeps where. We did manage to get some keys switched but as I remember, it was a hassle. Now we just hand my son DH's key and DH takes son's key...

I have been told that Princess and many lines want an adult over 21 in each room so we are crossing our fingers that we can do this.

I had understood the same thing (and, that on some lines it's 25 unless it's a married couple), but when we booked we were able to put our daughters into their own cabin and the oldest of the two is 20. So, I'm wondering if I will be able to have a key to their stateroom? Our younger DD turned 11 yesterday, and I'd just like to know that I can get to her if there's a need. Anyone know if I can go to the purser's desk and get a key to the girls' room?

Thanks!

Jayne

when we booked we were able to put our daughters into their own cabin and the oldest of the two is 20.

The age on Princess is over 18 for cabins booked without a parent. So, you, with a 20 year old, are fine. Someone with younger teenagers has to pull the switch. Our daughter and her friends were 18+ when we went on the Grand in Jan 2005, they got their own cabin without a problem. Maybe that has changed. Don't know about the extra key question, sorry.

The age on Princess is over 18 for cabins booked without a parent. So, you, with a 20 year old, are fine. Someone with younger teenagers has to pull the switch. Our daughter and her friends were 18+ when we went on the Grand in Jan 2005, they got their own cabin without a problem. Maybe that has changed. Don't know about the extra key question, sorry.

Thanks for the clarification--I was originally told that we'd have to do a switch once on board since Emily isn't 21, but when I booked it was fine, so I didn't know what the exact age was.

Hopefully someone will know if I can get a key to my DDs' stateroom. I might not use it at all, but just in case...

Thanks!

Jayne

We just got back from our trip on the Island Princess. We had 2 rooms, also. Tried to get 2 of the keys rekeyed to the other room, but they didn't seem to want to do it, so we didn't push. Just asked for 2 extra keys -- one for each room -- no problem. My husband and daughter just carried two cards (DD had them on a lanyard, so no big deal).

We are planning to do the same thing. I was told by Princess that as long as one of the teens is over 16 and traveling with parents in a nearby room, there would be no problem. I've heard they are "cracking down" on younger kids staying alone next to parents though.

I did this 4 years ago (kids next door) on Carnival and had absolutely no problem getting the keys switched. Then 2 years ago, also on Carnival, was told that we could not do this, even though the kids were now two years older. This time, the oldest will be sixteen, so I do not expect a problem.

To the OP regarding the 17 year old drinking thing.....I wouldnt think it will be an issue as junior should be told you'll get an itemized statement of everything he puts on the room tab....and he'll subsequently have some 'splainin to do.

We are planning to do the same thing. I was told by Princess that as long as one of the teens is over 16 and traveling with parents in a nearby room.

We were told the same thing when I was considering booking an inside for my 17 y/o son across from our BD on the Sun this Dec. We decided to get a BB triple on Aloha Deck instead.

Just remember to check the mouthwash, shampoo and other toiletries :cool:

Just one question though (and I know my teens would NEVER do anything like that, sure), who is going to be libel for any incidents inside the cabin that might happen (if they did, just a suppose), because of underage kids sharing rooms together when they shouldn't.............................. the cruise ship of course .

All, wow I go out for the day to shop and get all these responses. Thank you. I must admit though I'm still confused:confused: If my son and husband get two room keys, how will that work? To add to the confusion, my son has a $25 shipboard credit and my husband has a $75 shipboard credit.

I am so confused!! When we cruised before because of the same name issue, we had my son's sign and sail card limited to a certain amount that he could charge and that worked out perfectly. However, we were all in the same room. In this case, can I do the same thing? Also, if they just get extra keys, again how does my husband order alcohol without worrying about getting "carded" so to speak? I'm probably making more out of this than I need too but that's me:D

Do the sign and sail cards indicate age? Would that help? I'm sure that I am way overthinking this. Sigh

If I remember correctly, we each kept our original card that was a room key, "credit card", and electronic picture for getting on and off the ship. We simply went to the purser's desk and asked for a spare room key for each room which was a room key only. That way everyone had access to the room you want plus two people had access to the other original room (so be careful!).

Dawg gone, thank you for your response. I will go to the Purser's desk on the first day and ask for two additional keys. Just like last time, I will also ask for restrictions on my son's key and I believe they tie it to the b-dates.

Hamptod

Not sure about Princess, but on Royal Caribbean they punched a hole in my kids cards and told me that was so they could easily see who was under 21. Surely they do something similar on Princess to easily differentiate, which would definitely cause problems if you were planning to just switch keys. Sounds like the extra would be the easiest option, though a bit of a pain - it might be the "price you have to pay" for the switch.

Archived