Havannah-Boulari Passage

karmac

Hi all, hope someone out there can help me. In previous years when a ship cruised through the Havannah-Boulari Passage it was noted on the itinerary. However, it never seems to be mentioned in itineraries anymore but is still featured in the P&O brochure. Do P&O ships still cruise through the pasage and if so where is the nearest port/island? Would love to sail through there.

Karen

I have to admit that this Yank had never heard of that passage, and I used to be pretty good at geography!

I "googled" it, and do believe that we sailed there on the last voyage of Sky Princess (now P&O Australia's Pacific Sky), San Francisco to Sydney, 9-00. I don't recall any mention of the passage, but I might have missed it.

Hi all, hope someone out there can help me. In previous years when a ship cruised through the Havannah-Boulari Passage it was noted on the itinerary. However, it never seems to be mentioned in itineraries anymore but is still featured in the P&O brochure. Do P&O ships still cruise through the pasage and if so where is the nearest port/island? Would love to sail through there.

Karen

The passage has 2 names - Havannah-Boulari Passage or Boulari-Havannah Passage depending on which direction ships are passing through it. The passege is located approx 55 km (30 nautical miles) North East of Isle of Pines, or 166km east of Noumea (straight line, not distance by sea). If you have Google Earth look up 22' 22'' South, 167' 58'' East (I looked it up on Google Earth to get the direction and distance).

It looks like cruises leaving Isle of Pines and heading to Vanuatu (Mystery Island/Wala/Port Vila) might pass through it overnight, if at all. Cruises leaving Sydney and heading straight to Vanuatu may pass through it during the day time, depending on the track they take.

They don't seem to make a big thing about it these days.

Hello everyone,

Funny this should be mentioned now, we are currently on board the Sun cruising through this passage now.

The swell was too rough for us to anchor at the isle of pines today. the ship rocked violentally and tables where ripped of the bases in the lido deck cafe as passengers grabbed them for support - food went everywhere....

We are being diverted to Noumea hopefully we can dock there. It's been a great trip so far.

Jenny

Hi brushtail and all on the Sun, sorry you missed Is Pines,must be rough out there,hows kevin going? I know its hard to post on on those library comp,especially if theres a swell up :D keep up the good work! Hope you are enjoying it.Hows the N-virus. Someone said there are no childrens diner sittings now. Hope you win the bingo! :)

we sailed through the passage in 2003 during the day and they made a pretty big deal about it there are mountains and stuff either side of you in orange and gren colours really nice. and everyone was up there with cameras and videos and stuff. they made an announcement when we were going through it

on my first cruise we sailed through during daylight enroute to Vila and I have to say it was so beautiful and exciting as it was the first land we saw for three days. On my cruise in may we sailed through at around midnight coming home from Ouvea. was a bit dissapointed coz it is so pretty.

• 9 years later...

I was on a P&O cruise back in 1989/90 which went through this passage. It was listed on our ticket and we went through during the day. If my memory is right, we had to slow right down here. They made announcements to give people enough time to make it to a good vantage point.

I am cruising again in December. I would be thrilled if we go through again, but I am guessing it would be during the evening or night.