Just back from Freedom 6/11-6/18

Bec

Had a great time despite a short bit of bad weather at miami port and the first sea day. Ports were all fun.

The ship is beautiful but there were a few kinks. In no way did it put a damper on the cruise tho.

1. the computers crashed on sunday 6/11. I had to get 5 new sea passes in 4 days. frustrating. I would use it on the internet, and then all of a sudden it wouldn't work in my door. etc. Guest relations was very nice but there was really nothing more they could do but keep issuing me new cards.

2. apparently a pipe broke or was blocked and we had a terrible odor of sewage on the decks in the hallways (not in the room).By about the 6th day it dissappared.

3. Quality of the food, imho since our last cruise three years ago has gone downhill in the dining room. Skip Surf night. awful. I got a lowfat dessert that was inedible.

Those were really my only major complaints--oh yeah, except for the infamous revolovingdoor on deck 11. lol

Better yet, here are the good things--far outweighed the bad:

1. staff was very nice and helpful as usual. Our waiter Ernesto was sweet and adorable and gave me a big hug when we left. Very nice, funny and willing to please. The head waiter was a doll too. Don't remember his name. My daughter told him it was her b-day, it wasn't and I thknk he knew that but he had the waiters sing happy b-day to her two nights in a row. Cute. Room stewards were wonderful. Very nice and unobtrusive, but very obliging. Yes, we pretipped and post-tipped.

2. The cruise director was funny. Enjoyable. He is an actor and played his part very well.

3. The sandwiches at the coffee shop--open 24/7 I think were a nice midnight snack to take back to the room. Likewise, the snacks at the pizza place (mozerella balls, proccuitto etc) were good too. Pizza kinda sucked but in a crunch it was fine.

4. Shows were not top rate but very enjoyable.

5. Ports were good which surprised me. We are not adventurous but had a good time. More on that at another time.

6. SHIP DID NOT SEEM OVER CROWDED AT ALL. Granted we did not do the flow-rdier but even on the day it rained on the first sea day and everyone was inside, we did not ever feel cramped. Never had to wait on any major lines, never had trouble getting seats or any major elevator difficulties on the rare occasions that we choswe to use them.

Phew I am tired. Bottom line, great time and I would def sail her again.

Regards

Thanks Bec, for the review! Glad to hear you didn't let the little snags ruin your vacation. As you can see from my signature, I still have awhile to go. But all of us in our Meet & Mingle threat are SOOO excited that we're getting closer! Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how your cruise was.

3. Quality of the food, imho since our last cruise three years ago has gone downhill in the dining room. Skip Surf night. awful. I got a lowfat dessert that was inedible.

HMMM, odd the food was perfect the week before. The fish was the best I have eaten on a ship and very nearly the same as the wonderful fish we get here on LI. And we thought the shows were awesome, did they change them form the first week?

Not to get off on a tangent ( oh well why not:rolleyes: ) low fat anything tastes awful anyhow.

What deck do they board on to in Miami? Just 5 more days and we are very excited!

I think we boarded on deck 4. You *should* be excited....you'll have a fabulous time! Please come back and tell us about the kids onboard, and if they are as well-managed with more of them (now that schools are all out)

Tracy

I was looking over the Compasses that you posted Zotzer and I did not see the Midnight Buffet, at least not the one I expected to see in the main dining room. Did I overlook it or did it disappear in a sea of nightly buffets?

I was looking over the Compasses that you posted Zotzer and I did not see the Midnight Buffet, at least not the one I expected to see in the main dining room. Did I overlook it or did it disappear in a sea of nightly buffets?

Rev,

Good catch! It was very downplayed on FR...they are trying something new. I forget what night it was (Friday, maybe?), and it was held in the Windjammer instead of the dining room. They also returned it to it's old free-for-all glory....no separate picture-taking vs. consumption times.

I am not one for the crowds at the midnight buffet and never go, so it didn't bother me one bit. It's a big deal for others, however, so I am interested to hear what people thought of it.

Tracy

HMMM, odd the food was perfect the week before. The fish was the best I have eaten on a ship and very nearly the same as the wonderful fish we get here on LI. And we thought the shows were awesome, did they change them form the first week?

Not to get off on a tangent ( oh well why not:rolleyes: ) low fat anything tastes awful anyhow.

I should correct myself about the shows. The production shows were really very good. We enjoyed them. the other shows imho, were ok but nothing to write home about but we were entertained, definitely.

Maybe we ordered the wrong things? But we were disappointed with the food as were our tablemates. Again though, we had a great time--probably the best cruise we have ever taken.

On another note, to all the other CC people that were on the ship. How was the meet and mingle? I feel awful for missing it but we changed our dining time to early seating since they put us in late seating by ourselves and that is not what we wanted (not RCI's fault, DH forgot to change it before the cruise) and the only way we could be at a table with another family with teens was to take the early seating. With it being formal night I couldn't seem to coordinate dressing, pic taking and getting up to the bar at 5pm. Sorry :(

Thanks for the mini review! How was embarkation? What time did you arrive and board? What deck do they board on to in Miami? Just 5 more days and we are very excited!

Embarkation and debarkation was fine. I would almost say a breeze. We had priority boarding which was nice. Also, all the talk about the horrible porters at the port?? On the contrary they were very nice and not pushy at all. Also, the horror stories about Miami airport? Although its not the easiest airport to manuever (you have to walk to afganistan practically to get from the gate to baggage claim--wear comfortable shoes lol), we had no problems getting a cab, everyone was very nice and helpful.

Also, I agreee with the poster about about the midnight buffet. They definitely played it down. We don't do the buffet but my daughter likes it and she and her friends couldn't find it lol. Didn't realize it was at the windjammer.

We were on the very same June 11 to June 19 cruise of spectacular Freedom. Boarding was a breeze. We arrived about eleven and were in the Windjammer about half an hour later. We entered on Deck Four. Hubby easily found a parking place at the parking lot across the street. We do have priority boarding.

We feared there would be traffic jams as passengers from the previous cruise left and new passengers arrived, but I have to say it was about the smoothest arrival we have ever had.

I never felt crowded on the ship. The very worst backup of folks was on the first day at the revovling door bottleneck because so many new passengers headed to the Windjammer. Elevators could get crowded at meal times and after major attractions such as shows or parades. I often wondered why able bodied kids would ride the elevator just one or two floors.

We found the ice skating show and the Arcadia Theater production shows to be fantastic. Usually on a cruise at least one singer would never make the top twelve on American Idol, but every singer was gifted on this cruise. We did think there were too many comedians. I think three if you count the one who does imitations of singers as a comedian. He was the best. True confession: By the last night I was too tired to laugh even if that guy was the funniest man in the world.

I really enjoyed the ship's decor, art and sculpture. The new beds are so comfortable but maybe a trifle hot for my taste. I usually had to kick off the top covers. But they do look elegant in their all-white design with green accessories. They are the best beds I have experienced on a cruise ship.

The midnight buffet was in the Windjammer. The 11:30PM time was for photos only. A server in the WJ begged us to come just for the ice sculpture which is supposed to be like a fantasy world. We intended to go but fell asleep...just too tired for 11:30PM activities.

The Prominade area turned out to be a great place for sitting and relaxing and watching the passengers go by. I loved to watch how small children reacted to things. I guess the ship was similar to DisneyWorld for them. Kids absolutely loved the H2O Zone. Our first at sea day was a massive tropical downpour but that didn't stop the kids from playing at the H2O Zone. Luckily there was no ligthening.

The Flow Rider was so much fun to watch. The ship has bleachers on three sides and there was often a crowd. I liked the surfing under the stars experience. At night they light the rock climbing wall in eerie purple and deep blue, making the wall look haunted and harder to climb. Cool!

RCI has paid incredible attention to detail on this ship. It may be hard to sail on anything less than a Freedom Class ship now. There is something for almost everyone except grouches and curmudgeons. One woman I met said she hated the ship. It was too big and too crowded she said. I don't know where she saw the crowds except after a show is over.

It may be that the ship is too big for the infirm or the aged who are infirm or those with mobility issues. The distances might prove daunting if your cabin is at one extreme of the ship or the other. I would say that this ship caters to active people and kids who enjoy the sports deck, the best gym on the high seas outside of aircraft carriers (and what AC carrier has pilates equipment) and all the hot tubs and pools and what not.

The ship had the biggest ever bingo jackpot, if that fact can be believed. That Saturday the bingo jackpot was $16,000 won and shared by two lucky participants.

Some statistics. There were 750 children and teens on board our cruise. There were 1,350 Crown and Anchor members. There were 27 newly wed couples.

Hubby and I agreed we have to cruise Freedom or Liberty again. We need more time to explore the ship. I think back-to-back cruises on this ship will be very worthwhile, most especially when the itinerary does an alternating East and West Caribbean pattern.

Now I know what is meant by a ship being the destination in and of itself.

There is something for almost everyone except grouches and curmudgeons.

HeavySurf,

Awesome summary!!! I particularly fell-out with this line!!

Stinks to be back, doesn't it? Beware...I've already booked to sail FR again before the year is out! It could happen to you too. Get that wallet out.....:D

Tracy

HeavySurf:

Thank you for a great review. My hubby and I are sailing her next year 10/14/07 and just reading what wonderful people like yourself have to say just excites us more.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in November of 2004 and she was the line's biggest and we thought she was huge - so I LOVE big ships.

I'm sure she won't intimidate us at all.

The one we're looking forward to is the Genesis in 2009 - 1-1/3X the size - OMG - can you imagine!?

Enjoy your next cruise.

Peggy, Norwood MA:)

Thanks for all the wonderful information. We're leaving this Saturday and can't contain our excitement. One quick question, does anyone remember what night lobster was served in the dining room? We want to reserve a night at Portofino, but not on lobster night.

Thanks for your help.

Lobster on Friday night, formal nights on monday and thursday. If you forget, do not worry--just ask them when you make the reservations--they will know.

We ate at both Chops and Portifino's and personally we liked Chops way better this time (in the past it has been the other way around). For some reason the food was a little bland to us--the desserts were great though. BTW, they were very nice at Portofino's and without us asking, they offered us a window seat for dinner. We got the one in the back with the "couches" very comfortable and of course, well what can you say about the view? Just gorgeous.

Also, forgot to tell you, we spent a lot of time at Bolero's. If you are Mohito people like us, I think Adrienne made the best I have ever tasted. If you get the other guy you have to specifically ask for mohito with Bacardi Limon and you will get the same thing. Anyway, both bartenders are very entertaining, one has a marionette and they both do all these tricks with the glasses, and I love to watch everyone dance. They have a live band playing spanish (salsa type? I'm so bad at this) music and its all very entertaining. Highly recommend. I believe its on the 4th deck near the photo gallery directly below the champagne bar.

Enjoy!

Bec,

Thank you kindly for your wonderful reply. I mispoke, I meant to say Chops, not Portofinos. We tried both on the Seranade of the Seas and enjoyed Chops more. It will be our top choice on this cruise as well.

Just reading your response has made me even more excited for the cruise. I will keep the mohito's in mind. I am, however, looking forward to an expensive evening at the Champagne bar. lol

Thanks again and enjoy your next cruise. :-)

Lemonade is quite good, better with vodka in it. Hot cocoa is from packets that you mix in hot water in the cup. Plenty of that also with various teas to choose from. Pretty bad when you watch a woman stuffing tea bags into her purse.

Do they have the leamonade at the buffets? And, how about hot chocolate?

Thanks so much!

Bec, the band in Boleros is Sol y Arena (Sun and Sand) and they were very good. They play salsa and merengue, plus other Latino standards. I wish I could have seen the bar tender with the marionettes...if only I had known.

The Boleros lounge was so crowded that we sat across from the stairs on the other side...less smoke too. Many Hispanics did the same thing and there is a small dance floor there too. We could hear the band very well. It was fun to watch the Hispanics dancing to the music as they know the steps and danced so well. I wanted to dance, but thought I'd look like a dork...a Yank trying to do salsa and merengue.

Bec, the band in Boleros is Sol y Arena (Sun and Sand) and they were very good. They play salsa and merengue, plus other Latino standards. I wish I could have seen the bar tender with the marionettes...if only I had known.

The Boleros lounge was so crowded that we sat across from the stairs on the other side...less smoke too. Many Hispanics did the same thing and there is a small dance floor there too. We could hear the band very well. It was fun to watch the Hispanics dancing to the music as they know the steps and danced so well. I wanted to dance, but thought I'd look like a dork...a Yank trying to do salsa and merengue.

Thats exactly how I felt about the dancing--I have no natural rythem (sp) so I really love to watch everyone else. Yes, it got crowded and unfortunately was smokey, true. wish I would have known about sitting on the other side. Ahh, I miss it already!

Hello!

I was also on the same sailing!

My husband and I were on for our honeymoon, I'm pretty sure they said that there were actually 72 honeymooning couples on board, but I could be wrong. It was our first cruise on RC (2 previous on Disney) and we enjoyed ourselves. We only had a few problems. First was our luggage that did not arrive at our room until 9:30 PM. We asked our room steward whatb we should do about dinner (we were dressed in "travelling clothes") and he said he thought it was casual, but not that casual. We ended up eating on the Promenade because we didn't want to disrupt the dining room in our shorts and T's. I was later informed by a somewhat rude Guest Relations associate that we could have gone to dinner in any clothes, and for no one to call them until 10 PM because they have 2000 pieces of luggage to sort.

When we received our excursion tickets (I booked online) one of the times had been changed on a day when I had booked 2 short tours. They were now overlapping. The associates on board were very helpful and switched them around so that we could do both, but the first ended up going 1 1/2 hours over so we still missed the second. They refunded the price of the second one.

Other than these two minor problems, we had a great time. My husband did the flow rider twice with about a half hour wait on our last day at sea. We ate at the dining room all but one other night and enjoyed it and the company of our tablemates (other honeymooners.) We had breakfast at Windjammer every morning and really enjoyed the buffet. We did alot of excursions so we didn't see too many shows, just the first comedian who was pretty funny.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!!

Hello!

I was also on the same sailing!

My husband and I were on for our honeymoon, I'm pretty sure they said that there were actually 72 honeymooning couples on board, but I could be wrong. It was our first cruise on RC (2 previous on Disney) and we enjoyed ourselves. We only had a few problems. First was our luggage that did not arrive at our room until 9:30 PM. We asked our room steward whatb we should do about dinner (we were dressed in "travelling clothes") and he said he thought it was casual, but not that casual. We ended up eating on the Promenade because we didn't want to disrupt the dining room in our shorts and T's. I was later informed by a somewhat rude Guest Relations associate that we could have gone to dinner in any clothes, and for no one to call them until 10 PM because they have 2000 pieces of luggage to sort.

When we received our excursion tickets (I booked online) one of the times had been changed on a day when I had booked 2 short tours. They were now overlapping. The associates on board were very helpful and switched them around so that we could do both, but the first ended up going 1 1/2 hours over so we still missed the second. They refunded the price of the second one.

Other than these two minor problems, we had a great time. My husband did the flow rider twice with about a half hour wait on our last day at sea. We ate at the dining room all but one other night and enjoyed it and the company of our tablemates (other honeymooners.) We had breakfast at Windjammer every morning and really enjoyed the buffet. We did alot of excursions so we didn't see too many shows, just the first comedian who was pretty funny.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!!

Oh my goodness, we had so much fun I totally forgot to "complain" lol, about the luggage situation. Yes, ours was a mess. I didn't so much mind our luggage not comimg until like 10pm, and we did know we could eat in the dining room from previous cruises, but the problem was that my dd, her friend's and my luggage pieces were wet and our clothes got wet. One of my daughter's favorite blouses got ruined because another wet item ran onto it. RCI cleaned or laundered everything for free, but I must admit that I had to go back twice since there was such a big space of time between when my dd's arrived and mine. The first time there were nice but the second not quite as nice. oh well, did not let it ruin anything but it seems like because we had so much rain in miami, someone maybe who was new and didn't know any better left some of the pieces out in the rain. We did run into a sweet couple from Ireland who were on line at guest relations for the same problem but didn't speak to anyone else who experienced that. Oh well--didn't DAMPER our time--get it--ha ha. Damper? Wet? ha ha, I'm so funny :)

Archived