Dolphin Swim - St. Maarten or Curacao

zinman

Does anyone have an opinion on which dolphin swim is better on the Southern Caribbean itinerary - Anguilla (from St. Maarten) or Curacao. It seems like the Anguilla Dolphin Discovery is not as easy to get to and you have to go through customs again. But I can't find much on the Dolphin Academy in Curacao. Any input would be appreciated.

Hi,

We're just back from our RCI Navigator cruise. We don't usually take ship's tours, but because of the logistics of getting from St. Maarten to Anguilla, we did take their tour. We didn't mind all the time to get to the Dolphin Swim Encounter. It is a 10 minute ride on a bus to the site from the boat and a 45 minute boat ride between islands. Don't forget your passport.

The tour includes about about 40 minutes with the dolphins, lunch and some beach time. We bought the video and photos because we were with our 13 year old granddaughter.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for the info. We did book the dolphin swim on our own - hope it works out. My kids want to actually swim and interact in the water with the dolphins, and the cruise ship's excursion doesn't offer that just an encounter. So hopefully we won't run into any logistical problems with getting to Anguilla and back. And I know we'll be buying the video and pictures too! Thanks again.

Cindy

<soapbox on>

Once a year or so I feel that I have to come out and make my public statement on Swimming With the Dolphins. Guess this is the day. Independence Day.

Before you do one of these excursions anywhere, please read the information provided over at the World Society For the Protection of Animals website. You can also Google the subject and find plenty of other discussions.

Unfortunately, St. Maarten itself seems to be headed in the direction of establishing yet another Dolphin Experience. I, personally, am saddened.

<soapbox off>

gary

<soapbox on>

Once a year or so I feel that I have to come out and make my public statement on Swimming With the Dolphins. Guess this is the day. Independence Day.

Before you do one of these excursions anywhere, please read the information provided over at the World Society For the Protection of Animals website. You can also Google the subject and find plenty of other discussions.

Unfortunately, St. Maarten itself seems to be headed in the direction of establishing yet another Dolphin Experience. I, personally, am saddened.

<soapbox off>

gary

*Joins Gary on the soapbox* Please people read the link!

• 1 year later...

The Dolphin academy in Curacao is wonderful, we had a great time and the experience was amazing.

What i really found amazing was that the academy let their Dolphins out into the open ocean to swim freely and have only ever had 1 Dolphin CHOOSE not to return to the academy... obviously they love being there !

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I just happened to come across this posting when I "googled" for any dolphin encounters in St. Maarten, where my cruise ship (Oasis) is stopping this May 2010. I was considering taking the sailing to Anguilla to do this but after reading the attached article link, I will definitely NOT be doing this. Poor things, leave them in the wild. I did do in Tahiti a swim with the sharks and also stingrays, as well as the stingray swim in Grand Cayman, but both of these were out in the ocean, NOT in an enclosed tank. Thanks again for posting about this. I never really did know about how dolphins were trained. Horrible!

• 4 weeks later...

Posting to top.

Please read the links in other replies before going on "dolphin encounter"! A friend of mine,who is envolved with animal rescues, vegetarian because of her love of animals and all around a good caring person, mentioned doing an "encounter" once. My mind was blown that she had never heard or read about the cruelty involved. More attention needs to be made to this horrible tourist driven business.

Stepping off soapbox...

Joining the others on the sopabox (I like that it is getting crowded up here).

I don't agree with dolphins, whales or any other animals being kept in captivity.

Watch the movie the Cove and your eyes will be opened wider than you can believe (if you love animals be sure to have a box of tissues handy) Don't be ignorant. Learn the facts. They are cruelly chased into a cove in Japan where they're trapped. All the sea world type places and dolphin encounter places all around the world come and pick from the terrified animals. The others are viciously slaughtered. They constantly need to get new ones since dolphins do not do well in captivity. They are stressed and ill and will even commit suicide (just stop breathing). They are very intelligent, social members of a family unit... until they get ripped away from their families to do tricks or let humans ride them.

Please don't support this.

Enjoy seeing them in the wild where they are free and happy. Go on a whale watching tour, or maybe see them snorkeling or diving. I've been on boats with them bow riding, and I've encountered them diving. There is nothing that can compare to see these creatures living their life as they should do... FREE!

Archived