Tours in St Petersburg

obel

I'm planning to take some non HAL tours in STP from Rotterdam on August 4th/5th. I've read read that HAL make it particularly difficult for passengers not on their tours. Any experiences or advice?:confused:

I'm planning to take some non HAL tours in STP from Rotterdam on August 4th/5th. I've read read that HAL make it particularly difficult for passengers not on their tours. Any experiences or advice?:confused:

We just did a DenRus tour last week. The Russian authorities set up a table in the gangway lobby, BEFORE you go past the card scanner. We showed them our passport and the tour ticket that DenRus had Emailed, they stamped the passport, gave us the red card that they issue, we proceeded to the card scanner and were off the ship and headed for our vehicle before the first HAL tour group had left the Queen's Lounge and before the CD had made his "the ship is cleared" speech. Ignore anything they might tell you onboard about not being able to get off the ship unless you are on a HAL tour or have a visa. The ticket from a recognized tour company is as good as a HAL shore excursion ticket. After all, the HAL tours are not run by HAL, they are run by one of the registered tour companies.

As Grumpy says, the trick is to be near the gangway and ready to move as soon as the ship is cleared. If you are ahead of the HAL tours you are on your way. Otherwise, the HAL tours will run you down on the way out.

Actually, this isn't a problem. Your tour guide will be there ready and waiting---they will give you a time somewhat earlier than the roosters rise:rolleyes: , so you will be ready.

We booked a tour last August with Red October and they gave us exact instructions on how to deal with leaving the ship. Our little group assembled on the Promenade Deck before the CD made the announcement and slowly made our way down to the exit way and we arrived right after the CD made the announcement, and left the ship with no hassle whatsoever from the HAL crew at the door. I suspect that the crew knows the drill, too, so don't worry about it. Just have all the docs that your tour operator sends you and your passports and just be prepared not to receieve any "have a great day" greetings from the Russian officials in the little shed by the ship!!!!

I am so glad that the Russian officials are not going to be presumptuous

and tell me what kind of a day to have. I fully intend to decide for myself

what kind of a day I will have and am getting quite tired of hearing this

very trite and meaningless expession verywhere I go. Am I alone on

this???

We booked a tour last August with Red October and they gave us exact instructions on how to deal with leaving the ship. Our little group assembled on the Promenade Deck before the CD made the announcement and slowly made our way down to the exit way and we arrived right after the CD made the announcement, and left the ship with no hassle whatsoever from the HAL crew at the door. I suspect that the crew knows the drill, too, so don't worry about it. Just have all the docs that your tour operator sends you and your passports and just be prepared not to receieve any "have a great day" greetings from the Russian officials in the little shed by the ship!!!!

You're right, Bill! No laugh, smile, grin, smirk, you name it on those stone faces. Even saying "spasiba" didn't make a difference! "Just the facts ma'am" and welcome to Russia:eek:

We just did a DenRus tour last week. The Russian authorities set up a table in the gangway lobby, BEFORE you go past the card scanner. We showed them our passport and the tour ticket that DenRus had Emailed, they stamped the passport, gave us the red card that they issue, we proceeded to the card scanner and were off the ship and headed for our vehicle before the first HAL tour group had left the Queen's Lounge and before the CD had made his "the ship is cleared" speech. Ignore anything they might tell you onboard about not being able to get off the ship unless you are on a HAL tour or have a visa. The ticket from a recognized tour company is as good as a HAL shore excursion ticket. After all, the HAL tours are not run by HAL, they are run by one of the registered tour companies.
Grumpy, my I ask which Denrus tour you booked, and your satisfaction with the operator and itinerary. We are booked on their "Complete St. Petersburg" August 12 and 13 of this year.

We used Red October for a group of 12. Two full days with no waiting in any lines. The small groups get to cut the long lines at most stops and we saw things that the larger groups never got near. I went to the Roll Call forum and found a starting post for a small group of 12. Avoid the tour stores and the high prices. We shopped with the street vendors. Got the classic Russia Fur Hat for 20 American and the stacking dolls for 5.

Grumpy, my I ask which Denrus tour you booked, and your satisfaction with the operator and itinerary. We are booked on their "Complete St. Petersburg" August 12 and 13 of this year.
The Complete St. Petersburg is what we took. There were 9 of us. Our guide was great! I'm not sure how much longer Olga will do the tours... she's more than just "slightly" pregnant... due sometime in October... but their other guides should be just as good.

Your guide will suggest that the street vendors may not have the best merchandise and will make a few stops at stores they recommend... usually under the guise of providing free restrooms. You will have plenty of opportunities to check out the street vendors, and you are under no obligation to buy in the stores they recommend.

If you have a large enough group (8or 10), you could customize the tour, but the Complete will get you all of the major sites except Catherine's Palace, a stop at a subway station, and a stroll along Nevisky Prospekt.

I've been to St Petersburg twice with HAL on cruises. Once, we did ships' tours, and the second time (last August) we used Red October one day and HAL Hermitage/Gold Room tour the other. We did the Hermitage with HAL as we wanted to see the Gold Room and Red October requires 10 to do that. As others have said, they will give you exact instructions on how to meet them.

There were only four of us (originally only two) but we added two others on the ship and emailed the needed info to them and it all went off without a hitch.

I love St Petersburg and would love to go back yet again as you never seem to quite see all that you want to see but will see much more with one of the private tours.

And, it's fun to be with someone who hasn't been there before and watch their reactions as they see the Golden Domes of Catherine's Palace for the first time as well as some of the other sites.

You'll enjoy whatever you decide to do!

Actually, Red October did a one day custom tour that was booked for two. Since I'd been there, I took the two day agenda and selected specific items and asked if they could work with what I selected and they were able to do so.

Just returned for ROTTERDAM cruise. Used ALLA Tours (see their web site). All went without a hitch and the Russian agent at the table actually smiled. (Personally I like to be wished a "good day". It seems as courtous as saying hello or good bye.)

Our 2 day car and guide tour was for 5 and customized to our specifications. Cost less than the HAL packaged tours.

Best shopping was at the large department store on Nevisky Prospekt. No worries about prices and quality. Our guide took us there and stayed with us.

Don't miss the boat tour but be sure to try to get one that speaks english. It may be a little harder because most of the tourists in SPB are Russian. If you mention it to the tour company before you get to SPB they should be able to arrange it. You should also repeat the request and any other items that you especially want as soon as you meet your guide. That way they have time to react. They have cell phones.

We decide to book a tour off the ship also. We were on the Amsterdam but we booked our St. Petersburg Tour through Alla Tours and it was wonderful. We had a private driver and a private guide and it worked out very well. Holland America has everyone in big groups and it is hard to get through the crowds to see anything. It is also hard to hear your tour guide when you are in the big groups. THere is so much to see in St Petersburg that I would book a private tour!! Just my opinion!

Archived