Bed Comfort..Any Ideas

I asked this very same question about the rhapsody. I had one person respond and say that at the beginning of the trip he would tip the cabin steward and then ask for an extra matress to put on top of the exsisting one. He said this made for alot of extra comfort. This sounds like a good idea to me! I also read on another thread that they had their steward find some egg foam and place that over the matress as well. Hope this helps!

I've asked for the egg crate before and it does help, but my problem is more the pillows. Holland America has fabulous bedding. What I did on the Navigator in May is ask for softer pillows. They brought 2 other different type pillows. Not as good as your own, but definately an improvement. I have seen many people bring their own pillow and have considered it myself, but if would cut into how many shoes I could bring. ;)

Hope this helps!

Sha

DH has SERIOUS back problems sleeping in new / different beds. I, too, find the regular cabin beds uncomfortable. Here's what we've done, but it requires an additional suitcase. We just take a cheapie Walmart suitcase:

Inflatable wedge pillows. These are great for adding some "lift for the back and/or legs". DH has very little discomfort using these. He sleeps in an adjustable bed at home, so these are good substitutes. I got mine from an internet store.

Mattress pads: I've used both down filled, and another called "Woolie-Boolie". I get the cheapest queen size down filled one, fold it in half lengthwise, and put it under the bottom sheet for the whole cruise. Makes a HUGE difference. I put these in Packmates and squeeze the air out. They pack well with the inflatable pillows in a medium suitcase.

Well worth the extra effort!

I always take my own pillow. You do not have to leave out the shoes either. I use a suitcase and a garment bag. When my garment bag is packed, I put my pillow on top of my clothes, zip the bag shut and then I fold the garment bag in half and secure it. It not only keeps my clothes from getting the "middle fold crease in them" but it squeezes the air out of the pillow so it all fits. :D

When my garment bag is packed, I put my pillow on top of my clothes, zip the bag shut and then I fold the garment bag in half and secure it. It not only keeps my clothes from getting the "middle fold crease in them" but it squeezes the air out of the pillow so it all fits.

Great idea! Although I can honestly say that the very best sleep I have ever had has been on the cruise ships and I have back/neck trouble. I would like my own pillow though. Thanks again for that idea.;)

DRINK. I highly advise drinking till you cant stand anymore. I also have a bad back and i have never had problems sleeping when absolutely loaded.......haha enjoy your trip hope your back survives

That's funny because I've always LOVED the beds on the cruise ship...even the pillows have been fine for me, I just double up on them (much the same as I do at home) and I'm fine. Maybe it's because by the time we go to bed at night I'm so exhausted even the floor would feel like heaven? :D

I don't find the bed's as bad as the pillows..we always ask for another..and stuff them in the same pillow case. I am taking my pillow with me on our September cruise, I bought a standard size pillow..and will put it in a packmate that you roll the air out of. it will lay in the bottom of my suitcase nicely..and won't take up alot of room. This will be a test..as this is the first time I will be taking my pillow with me..if it works..it will be going with me on our 17 day Panama cruise in April 2005.

Funny that somebody above mentioned the best sleep they'd had was on a cruise ship. September 2001 was the first time I'd cruised in I guess 10 years. I must have really slept good that first night! I remember waking up that first morning (very, very AM) to the bed shaking. My first thought was an earthquake and it took me a second to remember that I was on vacation on a cruise ship so it couldn't be an earthquake. I looked out the window and the ship was turning around and starting to dock in Nassau. I guess the shaking/vibrations was the ship "hitting the brakes". :D

Archived