Travel Question

AlohaPride

My DH and I are staying in a Hotel right off Times Square (Hotel Edison). How far away is the Noordam's docking area? Any ideas how much we should hold aside for the taxi? We've never been in a taxi before, so we are unsure how much to budget for the travel to and from the ship. I could mapquest it, but I don't know the address for the Noordam's pier. :p

~AP

I stayed at the Edison before and after a Canada/New England cruise two years ago. As I recall it's about 10 loooong blocks to the dock. After disembarking we paid a taxi $15 but that was exorbitant due to the number of people wanting a cab - in fact, it was outright bribery! (Two ships docked simultaneously.) I would guess it should cost no more than $7 and if you're embarking the crowd should be smaller. I hope you have a great cruise!

Hi AlohaPride,

Depending upon traffic, it should be about a 15 minute taxi ride to the pier. The Noordam will dock at the New York Passenger Ship Terminal, Piers 88-90-92. Google the name of the terminal and you can obtain their website.

I have stayed at hotels near or at Times Square, and the main variable in the time it takes to get to the pier is traffic.

Hope this helps.

I forgot to mention that New York is VERY noisy! The Edison is no better nor worse soundproofed than most hotels in the area. Just wear earplugs to sleep!

Ahhhh New York, the city that never sleeps because it's too noisy :D

Ahhhh New York, the city that never sleeps because it's too noisy :D

I actually called the hotel yesterday and requested a room on the highest floor possible :D There really were 2 reasons for this: 1) I heard about the noise and as I am a very light sleeper really do need quiet; 2) We don't really have tall buildings here (highest maybe 25 floors) because of the wind and the fact that we live on hollow lava, so we want to go to the Empire State building and have a hotel room as high as possible...kinda fun in a way.

You will have a long wait in line to go to the top of the Empire State Building. Two years ago it was a minimum of 2 hours on a weekday. Wear your standing shoes.

Yeah, my DH wants to do it. We've been to the Sears tower, and I can't imagine much of a difference...except for view. Sooo...maybe I'll be successful in talking him OUT of going there ;)

Make sure you eat in the coffee shop at the Edison. Great food and very cheap. The Matzo ball soup is to die for and really good cheesecake.My mom and I ate there for almost all our meals and never spent more than 20.00 each time.Its always packed with customers most of them locals.

You will have a long wait in line to go to the top of the Empire State Building. Two years ago it was a minimum of 2 hours on a weekday. Wear your standing shoes.

The Observation Deck is open until midnight (last elevator at 11:15), and even later (2:00 AM) on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights through the summer. You might find it less crowded in the evening. Even if it's dark, on a clear night it is still an amazing view with all the lights of the city twinkling below you.

You can buy tickets online at www.esbny.com that will save you waiting in a ticket line, though you still may have a line for the elevator.

Enjoy your visit to New York and have a great cruise.

Make sure you eat in the coffee shop at the Edison. Great food and very cheap. The Matzo ball soup is to die for and really good cheesecake.My mom and I ate there for almost all our meals and never spent more than 20.00 each time.Its always packed with customers most of them locals.

The Edison. "Hotel Cockroach'"!!!!! :eek:

Jimney... you are quite right... the coffee shop is excellent. So is the bar... one of the few places in the world where you can fine Gosling's Black Seal Rum. Mariner... pay attention!!!!!

I've been staying at the Edison for at least the past 25 years. It is not the greatest hotel by a long shot but the rates are reasonable and the location is excellent. They have done a loty of renovating over the years and the place is much better than it used to be.

There used to be an old porter there... by the name of Pareese. he knew Bermuda very well... used to sail down on the old Home Line's ships... DORIC... OCEANIC.... One of his best stories was how one day he checked a guy in at the from desk.... took his bags up to a room on the 15th floor and put the new guest in. Pareese went back downstaris to teh lobby then out onto the street... just as the newly arrived guest crashed on the sidewalk... directly from the window on the 15th floor!!!!!

At the hotel... check out the lounge just off the main lobby. Wonderfully restored art deco mural.

Like I said, not the greatest hotel but better than some others that are 'supposed' to be better!!!!

As far as getting to the NY passenger ship terminal.... The Edison is located about as close to the terminal as you can or would want to get.

Stephen

The Edison. "Hotel Cockroach'"!!!!! :eek:

Jimney... you are quite right... the coffee shop is excellent. So is the bar... one of the few places in the world where you can fine Gosling's Black Seal Rum. Mariner... pay attention!!!!!

I've been staying at the Edison for at least the past 25 years. It is not the greatest hotel by a long shot but the rates are reasonable and the location is excellent. They have done a loty of renovating over the years and the place is much better than it used to be.

There used to be an old porter there... by the name of Pareese. he knew Bermuda very well... used to sail down on the old Home Line's ships... DORIC... OCEANIC.... One of his best stories was how one day he checked a guy in at the from desk.... took his bags up to a room on the 15th floor and put the new guest in. Pareese went back downstaris to teh lobby then out onto the street... just as the newly arrived guest crashed on the sidewalk... directly from the window on the 15th floor!!!!!

At the hotel... check out the lounge just off the main lobby. Wonderfully restored art deco mural.

Like I said, not the greatest hotel but better than some others that are 'supposed' to be better!!!!

As far as getting to the NY passenger ship terminal.... The Edison is located about as close to the terminal as you can or would want to get.

Stephen

Oh no! Are you saying I should or shouldn't stay at this hotel? I'm not too worried about "cost" becuase there were other hotels for about the same price. However, the reviews I read seemed to be positive. What would you suggest?:eek:

Oh no! Are you saying I should or shouldn't stay at this hotel? I'm not too worried about "cost" becuase there were other hotels for about the same price. However, the reviews I read seemed to be positive. What would you suggest?:eek:

Sorry... I didn't mean to confuse. Go ahead and stay at the hotel. It is just fine. I'll bet it is better than other hotels in the same price range. The water is hot, the location is good... for everything and the Coffee Shop is a great place to grab a snack or meal. Try the pot roast and boiled cabbage... I swear... they offer up about ten slices of meat on the plate.

Stephen

Sorry... I didn't mean to confuse. Go ahead and stay at the hotel. It is just fine. I'll bet it is better than other hotels in the same price range. The water is hot, the location is good... for everything and the Coffee Shop is a great place to grab a snack or meal. Try the pot roast and boiled cabbage... I swear... they offer up about ten slices of meat on the plate.

Stephen

I've heard so much about the location, and I'm excited about that. When I read the reviews about the rooms I was worried, but all I have to do is remind myself it is just one night before and one night after our AMAZING cruise :D Plus we get to see Spamalot :p

The lines for the observation deck at Top of the Rock are much shorter (non-existant) because you can book your appointment for the roofdeck ahead of time - and frankly I think Rock Center is much more visually appealing.

www.topoftherocknyc.com

There is however one thing you'll miss seeing from that observation deck: The Statue of Liberty is blocked by the Empire State Building!

I've heard so much about the location, and I'm excited about that. When I read the reviews about the rooms I was worried, but all I have to do is remind myself it is just one night before and one night after our AMAZING cruise :D Plus we get to see Spamalot :p

Ah, I can give you one useful bit of information. When you leave the ship in New York and go to the hotel for your last night... you will possibly be that the hotel around 10am or 11 am at the latest. Check in time is usually around 2pm. Don't waste your day sitting around waiting for the room to become available. The Edison has a very good left luggage room and the porters will very kindly stow all your bags... including the small stuff, while you go out for a few hours.

I've often used the Edison when I have an evening flight. They have a 'day rate'... so that you can at least rest up and wash before an evening flight.

Stephen

Ah, I can give you one useful bit of information. When you leave the ship in New York and go to the hotel for your last night... you will possibly be that the hotel around 10am or 11 am at the latest. Check in time is usually around 2pm. Don't waste your day sitting around waiting for the room to become available. The Edison has a very good left luggage room and the porters will very kindly stow all your bags... including the small stuff, while you go out for a few hours.

I've often used the Edison when I have an evening flight. They have a 'day rate'... so that you can at least rest up and wash before an evening flight.

Stephen

That's awesome. Thanks! We have a show that night (Spamalot), but we did want to go and do some of the things we didn't get to do our first day in. Our TA made a request with the hotel notifying them of our early arrival on both days. Hopefully they will be willing to accomodate us.

Archived