Barcelona Cruise Terminal to Airport--will we

Will we have enough time if our ship comes in at 7AM and the flight out of Barcelona leaves at 9:40? We would take a cab. It seems like in order to get into DFW at a decent hour, you need to leave at 9:30.

This seems like we are cutting it close, however, I hate to pay extra and get in even later.

Thanks,

Claudia

The ship will dock before 7 so you will be able to get off as soon as it clears customs...

Make sure you arrange for a taxi to airport in advance...the taxi line in Barcelona can be really long....like an hour wait.....!!!!

It is about 25 minutes to airport.

Make sure the driver drops you at the right terminal!!!

(We have made the above mistakes..)

at the airport you can only check in two hours before the flight....

It is too bad as Barcelona has great airport shopping....

Will we have enough time if our ship comes in at 7AM and the flight out of Barcelona leaves at 9:40? We would take a cab. It seems like in order to get into DFW at a decent hour, you need to leave at 9:30.

This seems like we are cutting it close, however, I hate to pay extra and get in even later.

Is 7 am the published time for docking? Cruise lines often advise you to expect disembarkation to commence two hours after the published docking time.

You also have to bear this in mind: If your flight goes directly from Barcelona to the US, you will be expected to be at the airport to check-in at least 2 hours before the scheduled time of departure. Even if your first flight is within Europe, you should be aiming to be at the airport no later than an hour before departure.

Either way, you have virtually no leeway. Your ship only needs to be an hour late for your travel plans to be totally wrecked.

If you're finding that the early flights are cheaper, that may well be because they're too early for passengers getting off the ship. The flights on which real demand is expected are the ones that are likely to be more expensive: that's the law of supply and demand.

I would check with the cruise line to get more specifics on the time for disembarkation. You should plan on a 30 minute ride to the airport and hope that there are not traffic problems as 30 minutes is with traffic flowing. To me it seems to close so again you should see what the cruise line recommends in terms of how early to book a flight.

I am not sure which airline you are using to get to DFW. We use the DFW airport as well. Normally, we've had to use a combination of British Airways and American Airlines.

Keith

You don't say what ship you will be on, but ours docked at 4:30 am and the first off the ship got red tags and left the ship at 7:00 am. We had Princess transfers and the bus took us to the airport. It's a 30 minute drive. It was a bit of a walk from the drop off point to the terminal building. We flew Delta and their counter was in the furthest left corner from the entrance. It's a very nice airport.

We are 0 for 2 on the port of Barcelona (0 for 3 if you count a local ferry trip) in terms of timeliness of getting into the port. The first cruise we were on was supposed to dock at 7:00 am. Due to heavy seas the port authority would not allow us in and we didn't begin disembarkation until 9:45 - we made our 10:40 flight with the help of a crazed cabbie (and Delta held it for an hour so as many of our fellow passengers as possible could make it, but they still left 30 of them behind).

And then there's the fishermen's strike that closed the port for 2 days, so that people disembarking Brilliance were stuck onboard her until 8:00pm - that was a complete fiasco, with passengers being deemed no-shows and their tickets were voided (the ship had cut off phone service so w/o an international cell they couldn't cancel in advance) and spending up to 2 days in BCN before they could depart.

That's a long way of saying - DON'T DO IT! Although both circumstances may be unusual, you have even less wiggle room than we did, and even a one-hour delay could result in a missed flight. We resolved after the last time to plan on spending an extra night in the city (no hardship there!) in order to ensure our timely departure.

Thank you for all the replies. I felt in my heart I was pushing it, however, I hate to get in so late. It would not be much fun to ruin a great vacation. Yes, I did want to save the $$ but I also have to go to school the next day and it is an hour away:eek: ... & that is what I will look like when I get there!

Claudia

Archived