Cancel my Ketchican excursion for more time in city?

lardan

I have an excursion scheduled for Ketchikan next month, leaving at 7:00 am and returning approximately 11:00 am. I am on Holland America Zaandam. My question is this: this really only leaves me about an hour to explore Ketchikan, as our ship leaves port at 1:00 pm. Does that give me enough time to see what I need of the city, or should I spend more time in town and book a shorter excursion?

Thanks

Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer

Approximately 4 hours •

Explore Misty Fjords, one of nature's most spectacular creations,

while cruising in luxury aboard one of the fastest sightseeing

vessels in Alaska. Leave Ketchikan's picturesque harbor, passing

colorful float planes and fishing boats, in route to a wilderness

experience into Behm Canal, surrounded by the pristine beauty

of Misty Fjords. You'll stop to view an active bald eagle's nest, and

a Tlingit pictograph. Admire New Eddystone Rock, an immense

volcanic spire rising from the emerald sea. You'll delight in the

unhurried exploration of Rudyerd Bay, an ice-carved masterpiece

deep within the Monument, as

you glide quietly beneath 3,000-

foot vertical cliffs. Feel the mist

of glistening waterfalls and listen

to the call of seabirds nesting

on a rock face sculpted by glacial

forces. On the cruise back to

Ketchikan, enjoy a selection

of snacks and beverages while

watching for whales, seals, eagles

and other species of wildlife.

You'll also have the opportunity to experience Native culture and

history presented by a Tlingit storyteller, watch a Native artist at

work, or enjoy a tour-related video presentation.

Please note: Bring a warm, rainproof jacket to wear on the topside

observation deck. Tour operates in all weather conditions.Wildlife

sightings are frequent, but not guaranteed.

Everyone raves about Misty Fjords - at least those who fly there. Have you considered doing a Misty Fjords excursion via floatplane? Those take ~ 2 hours and would give you a different view of Misty Fjords, as well as more time to see Ketchikan.

Larden, we just returned from our AK cruise - opted to do a Crab Fishing excursion in Ketchikan and that, too lasted 4 hours. We very much enjoyed the excursion (of course, feasting on Dungeness crab was heavenly!! :D ) but we really wish we would have had more time to spend touring Ketchikan.

Once back from our excursion we had just enough time to make a mad dash up to Creek Street and browse through the shops ... so if you can find a shorter excursion, I'm sure you'd enjoy touring the town too!

I'm doing a floatplane in Juneau, by myself. You couldn't pay my wife enough to go on that. Thanks for all the advice

Everyone raves about Misty Fjords - at least those who fly there. Have you considered doing a Misty Fjords excursion via floatplane? Those take ~ 2 hours and would give you a different view of Misty Fjords, as well as more time to see Ketchikan.

We don't fly either!! So,we took the boat trip to Misty Fjords. It was awesome. We ended up calling the fjord area a floating Yosemite Park! It was one of the highlights of our cruise. After the tour DH had time for a walk up to Creek Street while I shopped at the stores right there along the pier. We were in port from 10 to 6. Enjoy!

I would stay with the Misty Fjords tour!!! You see some fantastic country. We saw wales, bears and lots of eagles. Then, landing on the water in the middle of nowhere, so cool. Ketchikan is rather touristy if you ask me.

Taku Lodge Flight and Feast, by any chance?

Actually Nancy, we booked through the ship. I'm not sure what vendor they use.

I am going to stick with what we have and spend about an hour in town, shopping, and whatever. We have a whole day in Sitka with nothing to do, so we'll do our sightseeing and shopping there.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Taku Lodge Flight and Feast, by any chance?

I am going to stick with what we have and spend about an hour in town, shopping, and whatever. We have a whole day in Sitka with nothing to do, so we'll do our sightseeing and shopping there.

No - "Taku Lodge Flight and Feast" is the name of an excursion in Juneau. Is ths what you have booked there: http://www.wingsairways.com/juneau-floatplane-tours.html

No - "Taku Lodge Flight and Feast" is the name of an excursion in Juneau. Is ths what you have booked there: http://www.wingsairways.com/juneau-floatplane-tours.html

This is what I have booked for floatplane in Juneau.

Juneau Icefield &

Glacier Flightseeing By Floatplane

Approximately 11/4 hours • Approximately 40-minute flight; all window seats

The grandeur of Alaska will thrill and delight you on this unforgettable, multi-glacier flightseeing tour. Your floatplane flightseeing adventure begins as your aircraft departs from Juneau's waterfront to fly past waterfalls and lush green rain forests en route to five distinctly different majestic glaciers of the

1,500-square-mile Juneau Icefield. Soar over the deep crevasses and azure blue meltwater pools of the

Norris, Hole-In-The- Wall, East and West Twin Glaciers, plus the mighty Taku. Of the 36 named glaciers of the Juneau Icefield, the Taku Glacier, five miles wide at its base, is the only glacier that is actually advancing, not retreating. The views and photo opportunities are terrific. Rain or shine, bring plenty of film to capture the magical memories this trip is sure to provide.

I booked it through the ship excursions.

We did the Misty Fjord tour by boat only (too much for the plane), and it was beautiful!!! We only had an hour when we returned, and used it to walk to Creek St.

My opinion would be stick with your excursion, but to be fair you should make a list of what you hoped to see in Ketchikan, and decide which you want to see more. You won't regret Misty Fjord - waterfalls, whales, seals, birds, lots of scenery.

We don't fly either!! So,we took the boat trip to Misty Fjords. It was awesome. We ended up calling the fjord area a floating Yosemite Park! It was one of the highlights of our cruise.

I had never heard Misty compared to Yosemite, but I think it's an appropriate comparison. Personally, I prefer seeing it from sea level instead of flying over it.

-Monte

I'm hoping to book the same Misty Fjords tour based on comments on this board. However, I did really enjoy visiting the Ketchikan totem parks--it all depends on what you want to see. Sourdough runs a nice city tour/Saxman village/Totem Bight tour for about $45. The commentary is really necessary for you to appreciate the totems.

I loved Sitka--saw the Russian church and took the local bus (round-trip hop-on/hop-off) to the totem park and raptor center. I think Sitka is real do-able on your own.

Ketchikan isn't real big. I wouldn't suggest trying to do Anchorage or Juneau in an hour, but I think an hour will be plenty of time in Ketchikan for shopping. I found a local tour at the pier for only $15 (we went to Saxman and she stopped at the forest). We had an Indian guide (I think she said she was Innuit). She told some really interesting local stories too! I kept running into folks from the ship tour. And it was really raining hard. We were there middle of May. There was another gal at the pier that had a sled and two huskies for photos. She didn't have a camera, but she took your picture with the sled and dogs with your camera for $2.00.

Sitka was wonderful. We did the hop on/hop off for $5. The driver was real informative too. Dropped us off up at the Raptor Center, then told us how to take the trail down through the forest to the Museum. My husband liked talking to the guys that were carving the totems. Then just walked around Sitka, saw the Russian Church, the hill where Czar Baranhof had his castle (and the first U.S. Flag was raised on this same hill after the purchase). Lots of Russian history in Sitka. They also had a huge home that was built for the early pioneers that had aged and had no place to go, so they built this home for them.

Ketchikan and Sitka were actually my two favorite ports. Smaller and not so overwhelming as Anchorage.:p

Since you have the right port time for the Misty Fjords excursion you've made the right decision, in my opinion!

Ketchikan is a nice port, but I think an hour is plenty for a quick overview of town sightseeing unless you've found another highlight you prefer besides just walking around.

Twice we've been to Ketchikan and the cruise times into the fjords never matched up with port time. Alaska is true to the 'can't have it all' phrase!;)

Archived