First Cruise couple questions..

readytolose

I will be going on my first cruise March 31, 2007 on RCCL Radiance of the Seas. We are doing the Eastern Carribean.

I understand that we will need a passport. My question is this, since I will be getting my passport now then getting married in March should I book the cruise in my maiden name and not worry about getting my Drivers License changed until after the cruise? (we have a week between the wedding and cruise, so I could get it done if I wanted)

If I book the cruise in my married name and get my DL changed before we leave for the cruise, what do I do about my passport. Obviously there wouldn't be enough time to get that changed before the cruise.

I would really like to be known on the ship as Mr and Mrs ____ instead of Ms.____ and Mr. _______.

Also, do we only need a passport and Drivers License? I have seen some mention of birth certificates. Do we need those too?

Thanks for all the help. A friend pointed me to this site and I can't believe all the information and tips I have picked up so far.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I wish I had an answer for you regarding the marriage and name issue, but I am sure that another member will be able to help you regarding that question.

As for your question regarding needing a birth certificate and drivers license if you have a passport, and the answer is no. As long as you have your passport, you are in great shape, and will not need anything further.

Again, welcome to Cruise Critic, and have fun planning your first cruise!

Book the cruise in your maiden name, take your passport and photo ID/driver's license with you and your marriage license. The only time you need to take your marriage license with you is in situations like your's. As long as your passport and cruise documents have the same name, youj're OK, but take that marriage license with you just in case. After you get home, send in your passport with your marriage license and they will amend your passport.

Did you say you are getting married in March and also cruising in March? If that's the case, then get the passport now in your maiden name. Then when you get back from the cruise change your drivers license and passport to your new married name.

Keep in mind that in most states you do not receive your marriage certificate the day you marry and it usually takes a week or two for it to arrive. This is a prerequisite to changing things such as drivers license and passport. And, in some states when you change your drivers license they take your original, give you a temporary without a picture, and then mail you your new one which doesn't come for a few weeks. And, when you change your passport name it takes about four weeks to arrive.

So, all of this takes time. My daughter did all of this when she got married and waited until after she got back from the honeymoon to start the process.

I would recommend that you do likewise and take care of this when you get back from your cruise since it appears that you are going on your cruise right after you get married. Is that pretty much correct?

Keith

Book the cruise in your maiden name, take your passport and photo ID/driver's license with you and your marriage license. The only time you need to take your marriage license with you is in situations like your's. As long as your passport and cruise documents have the same name, youj're OK, but take that marriage license with you just in case. After you get home, send in your passport with your marriage license and they will amend your passport.

I agree with this post. I just got married this past April, and everything had to be booked in my maiden name. I am going to now have to change my passport to my married name in order for the next cruise. It's a headache, I know. We took our marriage license with us but didn't need it. I would take it along anyway. We had no problem being addressed as Mr. & Mrs. You won't probably won't have a problem on the islands you visit either as the shopkeepers would call out to us, "Hey honeymooners! Come inside and see my shop!" It was as though we were wearing a sign. It was too funny.

I will be going on my first cruise March 31, 2007 on RCCL Radiance of the Seas. We are doing the Eastern Carribean.

I understand that we will need a passport. My question is this, since I will be getting my passport now then getting married in March should I book the cruise in my maiden name and not worry about getting my Drivers License changed until after the cruise? (we have a week between the wedding and cruise, so I could get it done if I wanted)

If I book the cruise in my married name and get my DL changed before we leave for the cruise, what do I do about my passport. Obviously there wouldn't be enough time to get that changed before the cruise.

I would really like to be known on the ship as Mr and Mrs ____ instead of Ms.____ and Mr. _______.

Also, do we only need a passport and Drivers License? I have seen some mention of birth certificates. Do we need those too?

Thanks for all the help. A friend pointed me to this site and I can't believe all the information and tips I have picked up so far.

drivers license and birth cerificate are more for the ones who don't have a passport.....if you have a passport your good to go

Do bring the Marriage Cert if you change your name beforehand. Don't forget to inform the cruiseline that this is your honeymoon. My daughter is getting married on the cruise so I told her keep her maiden name until she got home, then change everything.

I'm in agreement with most of the above posters.

Don't change anything. Leave everything in your maiden name...life will be much simpler. Do all the changes after you return from the cruise.

If you have a passport, that eliminates the need for birth certificate and driver's license. There's no reason to take your marriage license/cert. if everything is under your maiden name.

YOU will be the only one who really cares if you are Mr/Mrs - and I know you will be proud of your new status, but it has no bearing on the cruise. Fellow passengers can tell who the newlyweds are!;) Hope you have a fantastic voyage!

Great information! The only thing that I do recommend is that you do bring along your driver's license so that if you need a photo ID to get back onto the pier, you will have it. (We don't take our passports ashore; some do.)

What a wonderful way to spend a honeymoon! Have a great wedding, honeymoon, and life!

I now some of the people told you do not bring your marriage(sorry if spelled wrong). I would bring it because back in 2004 we got married, but we were younger then 25, and they said we could cruise alone if we had that to prove we were on our honey moon. So I would bring it any ways, and just keep it in the safe in your room.

Went through the process this last June, here is what we did:

1. Used the web to find out which Post Offices in my area do passports. Can’t remember the site, but it also gives all requirements and a download to fill in and print the application.

2. Contact that Post Office and if needed, set up appointment for the application.

3. If they do not supply a photography service (which costs extra), you have to obtain photos before you go for the application.

4. Go to the appointment with certified copy of birth certificate; picture ID such as driver’s license along with photos if you’re doing those yourself.

5. You surrender your birth certificate with the application and wait for the passport and birth certificate to be mailed back. As of July 2006 there is a 6-8 week wait.

You MUST use your legal name at the time you make the application. Go ahead and book the cruise with maiden name. Use your ID and passport in your maiden name to get on the ship and return into the country. Worry about changing your ID and passport AFTER you get back.

Anything that doesn't kill you, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

Thank you for all the replies.

Cruise is booked in my maiden name so I will just leave my drivers license alone until I return from the cruise. Passport will be in my maiden name as well since there is no way to change that after the wedding and before the cruise.

Archived