Next Ship Retired

Just for clarification, Island Cruises is a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd and First Choice Holidays.

Island Escape (ex Viking Seranade) joined Island Cruises in 2002.

image.php?id=138&x=210

Island Star (ex Harizon) joined Island Cruises in 2006.

image.php?id=155&x=210

Radio

;) ;)

Guest LetMeGo
I believe that the poster is simply indicating that based on the increased efficiency of operation, and the larger passenger complement, the Freedom ships will prove more profitable in the long run. Based on remarks by Captain Wright, Adam Goldstein, and Richard Fain, during a pre-inaugural cruise, Freedom ships are the most efficient currently in their fleet, and they believe that design features of Genesis will make them even more efficient to operate and ultimately more profitable.:)

The Freedom is basically just an extended version of the Voyager class. It has the same engines (and fuel consumption), same amount of restaurants, and more passengers. That's why it's more profitable.

On the same principle it isn't that hard to see why Genesis is going to be even more profitable. Propulsion uses 85% of the fuel, so the more passengers you can fit into into a ship, the better. You can run the ship with virtually the same costs as a Voyager class, as long as you get a few dozen more cabin stewards for the extra 1,000 passengers.

I really don't like ships as big as the Voyager class.:p

The Freedom is basically just an extended version of the Voyager class. It has the same engines (and fuel consumption), same amount of restaurants, and more passengers. That's why it's more profitable.

On the same principle it isn't that hard to see why Genesis is going to be even more profitable. Propulsion uses 85% of the fuel, so the more passengers you can fit into into a ship, the better. You can run the ship with virtually the same costs as a Voyager class, as long as you get a few dozen more cabin stewards for the extra 1,000 passengers.

Precisely

I really don't like ships as big as the Voyager class.:p

Actually, the Voyagers are the most spacious ships at sea (over 60,000 tons or so) with a space ratio of 43.30 or so. Nothing else comes close. If you want to see crowded do a Carnival Destiny type with 3200 pax and 102,000 GRT (31.875):eek: The higher the number the more volume available per passenger. GRT is a volume measure, not weight.

Guest LetMeGo
Actually, the Voyagers are the most spacious ships at sea (over 60,000 tons or so) with a space ratio of 43.30 or so. Nothing else comes close. If you want to see crowded do a Carnival Destiny type with 3200 pax and 102,000 GRT (31.875):eek: The higher the number the more volume available per passenger. GRT is a volume measure, not weight.

You're of course forgetting that the royal promenade alone has some 10,000 GRT hanging in the air which can never be used by the passengers.:D

30 GRT doesn't sound too bad... on an average deck height of 8' it still comes to 20' x 20'! :eek:

I have to admit that I do prefer the CCL ships myself (those being built in Helsinki while the RCL's in one of our traditional national "enemies", Turku), but that only goes as far as the Spirit-class. I dislike the Destiny/Conquest ships just as much as the Voyagers. :p

Just for clarification, Island Cruises is a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd and First Choice Holidays.

Island Escape (ex Viking Seranade) joined Island Cruises in 2002.

Island Star (ex Horizon) joined Island Cruises in 2006.

Radio

;) ;)

Maybe I should have checked my typing..and I would have chosen HORIZON..... Ooops

Radio

;) ;)

Sorry for my ignorance' date=' but I still don't understand the selling of RCI ships for Island cruises. What exactly is Island Cruises?[/quote']

Island Cruises is a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd and First Choice Holidays.

They are based in the UK, and have 2 ships that sail Medeterranian Cruises and Transatlantictic Cruises to Brazil and back.

Radio

;) ;)

Archived