Next Ship Retired

Since the Song of America at the end of 1998, I don't believe that Any other Royal Caribbean ship has been sold. Any one want to make a guess which one would be next. It seems to me that the number of Royal Caribbean ships right now is getting huge and a sales might be coming soon.

Thoughts?

You would think that given the age of Sovereign, or the fact that Empress is the only ship in the fleet not specifically built for RCI, that they would be candidates. And they probably are, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. RCI has recently invested in both ships, and id CC is any barometer, people are happy sailing them.

In listening to RCI execs on a recent FOS pre-inaugural, and reading posts here about desired itineraries, it seem if anything, RCI desires more ships.

In recent years, RCI has invested quite a bit of money stretching, renovating, or otherwise refurbishing ships in their fleet and I believe even the oldest ships should still have plenty of years left in them. As long as they are able to fill these ships, and as they continue to add new itineraries and new ports of departure, it doesn't seem very likely that they will eliminate any of their ships. Perhaps after the next two Freedom class ships are introduced and the Genesis project is fact, they will reevaluate the situation, and, if it is financially advantageous to them to do so, some ships may be sold, transferred or chartered. However, if the cruise industry continues to grow its customer base, RCI will probably keep all its ships sailing and maximize its income. A lot of money was invested to build those ships and the longer they can stay in the fleet, sailing full, the better off the company is.:) We have enjoyed our cruises on Sovereign and Empress, and while they may not have all the features of the newest ships in the fleet, I don't look forward to their retirement at what are still, relatively speaking, young ages.

Yep.......the Empress fits nicely into the harbor in Bermuda, and both the Sovereign and Monarch are the cash cows of the fleet. Nothing will be sold for awhile.

Rick

The greatest thing I have seen on a cruise ship while getting into a port was on the Empress in Dec. 2004.

We were docking in Curacao. The Captain sailed right up the middle of the town, turned around and docked. It was amazing to see everyone stop in the streets and watch us go by. I had been there many times before, but never that way.

I hope they do it again in 2007.

I also hope they keep the Empress in service. :)

The greatest thing I have seen on a cruise ship while getting into a port was on the Empress in Dec. 2004.

We were docking in Curacao. The Captain sailed right up the middle of the town, turned around and docked. It was amazing to see everyone stop in the streets and watch us go by. I had been there many times before, but never that way.

I hope they do it again in 2007.

I also hope they keep the Empress in service. :)

Before the introduction of the megaships, cruise ships regularly sailed into Curaçao that way, and it was great to be on one of the outer decks to watch as we sailed into the harbor, turned around and docked. It was a unique experience and one I miss. Last time we did it was several years ago on Splendour of the Seas.:(

Before the introduction of the megaships, cruise ships regularly sailed into Curaçao that way, and it was great to be on one of the outer decks to watch as we sailed into the harbor, turned around and docked. It was a unique experience and one I miss. Last time we did it was several years ago on Splendour of the Seas.:(

I started sailing the Southern Caribbean in 1989, but I never sailed to Curacao at that time, only Aruba. When we did finally get to Curacao, it was on the bigger ships, so never right through the town. We were always docked a little distance away on the outskirts of the town.

I hope to do the right through town thing again. :)

Hi Alexis,

I know you like Empress a lot. We are scheduled to go on her Dec. 4 and I can't wait. What should I know ahead of time?

Yes, I love that little ship. I never missed all the extras of the larger ones because the itinerary is fabulous.

This review of mine is from December of 2004, the 11 night Southern Caribbean. I did one and then added another down a little on the page. I doubt if things have changed too much since then, but it is a year and a half ago. She had been refurbished at that time. They were putting in safes in the other cabins besides suites and things like that.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=111287

There are several reviews in there with mine all on that thread. I will go and get another and add it on too.

Here is the other one that is very informative.

I wanted to add on another review by Karen who is another CC member who sailed with us. She posted her review on a different page than mine, so it was not included in the above link I gave you.

Karen did a lot more tours than we did, so they might help you decide.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=111239

I hope these help you to get a "vision" of the ship.

Yes, I too agree or at least hope the empress is retired. It has the best (IMHO) itinerary in the caribbean, but is one of the least desirable ships to me. If they would replace it witha nice radiance class ship, that would be perfect.

RCI will not sell any of their ships. They will just transfer them to their little known line called Island Cruises.

Yes... Ex Celebrity Horizon is now sailing with Island Cruises (it is now the Island Star..their Flagship)...fresh after a major refurb with many balconies added on the top three decks :)

Radio

;) ;)

I think the Sovereign is currently the oldest ship in the RCCL fleet (I want to say it was built in 1989). For a ship, that is not really that old (although she is old compared to most ships out there today). With the addition of the Freedom class ships, RCCL has an opportunity to redeploy some of their ships to places they do not sail now, such as the South Pacific, SE Asia, South America, and Southern California, plus maybe trying differnt home ports. As long as they can fill the ships, I think the current fleet will be around for awhile.

Sovereign is one of my favorite ships.....I've been on her 9 times. Several years ago she was for sale (Officer told me) but since the refurb. she had been very popular and she's off the sale block for now. Your right she is the oldest ship in the fleet and I think 1989 is correct.

They actually have sold a ship since Song of America; Viking Serenade was sold in 2001.

The Sovereign-class is not the most profitable in the fleet; in fact, they are the least. Nonetheless, they sell out almost every sailing. RCI invested money in refurbishing them. The Voyager-class is by far the most profitable, specifically the Freedom series, which is even more efficient and profitable than her smaller sisters.

Last I heard, Sovereign was expected to be in the fleet another 4-5 years, Monarch another 6-7, and Majesty another 7-8. They were originally designed to only last 15 years in the fleet, but RCI has extended their lifetime by refurbishing them. RCCL will most definitely sell Zenith in 2008 once the Challenger-series debuts.

They actually have sold a ship since Song of America; Viking Serenade was sold in 2001.

The Sovereign-class is not the most profitable in the fleet; in fact, they are the least. Nonetheless, they sell out almost every sailing. RCI invested money in refurbishing them. The Voyager-class is by far the most profitable, specifically the Freedom series, which is even more efficient and profitable than her smaller sisters.

Last I heard, Sovereign was expected to be in the fleet another 4-5 years, Monarch another 6-7, and Majesty another 7-8. They were originally designed to only last 15 years in the fleet, but RCI has extended their lifetime by refurbishing them. RCCL will most definitely sell Zenith in 2008 once the Challenger-series debuts.

RCI did not sell the Viking Serenade. She is part of the Island Cruise fleet witch RCI owns fifty percent of. They basically just transfered her over. It's the same way with the Horizon and it will be the same with the next ship.

The older ships are probably all paid for. All the revenue they get from them is pure profit so why get rid of them as long as people are willing to sail on them.

They paid a lot to refurbish the ship, probably bank financed, and are still paying off the loan. And how about operating costs such as FUEL, food,wages,supplies, etc.

Scarcely pure profit.

As the other poster noted the bigger the ship the bigger the earnings because of efficiency. That is probably why the Radiance class will not be expended

I dont understand your statement about the Freedom series being more efficient and profitable than her smaller sisters. If I am correct, the Freedom is only on her 6-8 sailing. There is no way she is making a profit! And, she wont be for a while.

I believe that the poster is simply indicating that based on the increased efficiency of operation, and the larger passenger complement, the Freedom ships will prove more profitable in the long run. Based on remarks by Captain Wright, Adam Goldstein, and Richard Fain, during a pre-inaugural cruise, Freedom ships are the most efficient currently in their fleet, and they believe that design features of Genesis will make them even more efficient to operate and ultimately more profitable.:)

RCI did not sell the Viking Serenade. She is part of the Island Cruise fleet witch RCI owns fifty percent of. They basically just transfered her over. It's the same way with the Horizon and it will be the same with the next ship.

Not sure about that one. I thought some sort of monetary transaction took place, or they might just be leasing from RCI.

And we don't know what they will do with the next ship they retire. There is no way of predicting that they will transfer it to Island Cruises. It seems likely however as long as Island Cruises can sell the product and make a profit.

Archived