Question about the 'Singles Program' on HAL

sassy~one

I have not. A tablemate of mine from my June Alaska cruise has cruised 3-4 times on the Single Share rate. She has received a roommate each time. Most of the time, she and her roommate went their own ways, but would occasionally eat breakfast together, etc... From my conversations with her, it was obvious that the key to success was flexibility.

It is also possible to cruise solo by paying a single supplement. While many other lines charge 200% for a single occupancy, HAL has lower supplements for inside rooms on many sailings. I was originally going to go solo in June, then I talked a friend into joining me.

I've used it several times; no problem. We both know the rules: don't do anything that will disturb the other, share equally, no expectations (that is, you're only sharing a cabin, not the cruise). Sometimes I see my roomie during the cruise, sometimes not.

I've done it three times for periods of 33, 34, and 35 days. The first two roomies were fine to share with; I'd do a share with either of them again anytime. The third one didn't know the meaning of the word "share"; she did seem to know the meaning of "selfish", "mine", and "self-centered".

But she didn't put me off the idea of it---even after all that time with her.

I would do it again if it were the only way I could get aboard that ship.

In all fairness to your third roomie, she did have a point about the time you pushed the baby grand from the piano bar into your cabin and played the American Standards from 4:00am until noon.

Tom, you know you always make me laugh:) , but please, don't get me started again on the things she did:mad: . I could get this thread locked so fast....:eek:

Besides, I think it may have been my singing. :rolleyes:

I'm putting my foot in the water for the first time this December. I am booked single share for a two week cruise and really can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ruth, I need DETAILS! Prepare me. ~ (Please) ;)

Well, if she has a peaked hat, a broom, a wart on her nose and says something about a dog named "Toto," I'd quick go to the Front Desk and ask for a single.

Ruth, I need DETAILS! Prepare me. ~ (Please) ;)

Prepare you how? Tom said it very well in his post---you're sharing a cabin, not a cruise.

If you both go in with a spirit of cooperation, talk things over, and are willing to work together it can be very rewarding (as in you save $$$$$). Communication and good will are key.

Sometimes I think it's easier to share with a stranger than with a friend you've never bunked with. We tend to take those we know for granted more than strangers.

I did a single share on HAL's Zuiderdam in Jan 06. I cruise several times a year and pay the single supplement, but decided to give the share program a try. IT WAS A VERY INTERESTING EXPERIENCE. My roommate was a very nice lady, very considerate, neat, organized. We had different dining times and rarely saw each other. The interesting part: cabinmate was Russian and did not speak English. And I sure don't speak Russian. She was travelling with her son and daughter-in-law who live in Tennessee. My cabinmate and I communicated via gestures similar to the charades game and got along very well. If I needed to pass on some type of info or had a question, I contacted her son in his cabin, and he served as our interpreter.

Carolyn

Alabama

I have use the single program a few times in the past. 3 times

it went quite well. He did his thing and I did mine.

you have to lie down the ground rules first. On my last cruise

which was 14 days, no body show up.I had the room to my self and

I was not charge anything extra.So far I have been lucky. I have

heard horror stories about the partners that sometimes show up.

WESTERDAM NOV12 2006

I have followed your "singles" adventures and if I recall without taking time to check, aren't you going to Hawaii on the "Voyage of the Spammed"? If so, what's next?? I am trying to convince DH to go on the Ryndam March 23. It's 10 days to Sea of Cortez including (for a small fee of $379.00) an excursion on the Copper Canyon railroad.....maybe yea...maybe no....so I ask ??? are you up for adoption?? :)

Blessings,

Gail

earl_m -

I have heard horror stories about the partners that sometimes show up.
If you think your roomie is into power plays, or otherwise ignorant of the rules of the road, just go to bed first, then lie there on your side facing the other person. Stare, with a slight smile on your face, your tongue going around and around your lips; ask, "Do you see the cow?" That should establish you as Top Dog.

earl_m -If you think your roomie is into power plays, or otherwise ignorant of the rules of the road, just go to bed first, then lie there on your side facing the other person. Stare, with a slight smile on your face, your tongue going around and around your lips; ask, "Do you see the cow?" That should establish you as Top Dog.

I had just taken a swig of my nectar ( Dr. Pepper) when I read your post and it achieved the desired result. You made my day.

I have followed your "singles" adventures and if I recall without taking time to check, aren't you going to Hawaii on the "Voyage of the Spammed"? If so, what's next?? I ask ??? are you up for adoption??

Yes, Gail, I'm on the Voyage of the Spammed in October, but first the Volendam to Alaska this Wednesday. After that---who knows? I've looked at a few things for next year, but nothing has reached out and grabbed me yet. Usually something just hits me "that's the one!", but nothing so far. :(

As far as being up for adoption, I need to ask about my inheritance first. :confused: (hey, girl's gotta make a buck:D .)

I'm thinkin' here...I'm thinkin' here!!!

Have fun on the Volendam....I'm really thinking about the Irish cruise aboard her on Jan 22 '07. Best excuse in the world to laugh and play!

Blessings,

Gail

Yes, Gail, I'm on the Voyage of the Spammed in October, but first the Volendam to Alaska this Wednesday. After that---who knows? I've looked at a few things for next year, but nothing has reached out and grabbed me yet. Usually something just hits me "that's the one!", but nothing so far. :(

As far as being up for adoption, I need to ask about my inheritance first. :confused: (hey, girl's gotta make a buck:D .)

Hi Ruth,

Could I ask you a huge favor?

When you sail on the Volendam could you snap some pictures around the last aft cabins on Lower Promenade deck? The best would be with your back to the window of the cabin and toward whatever view there might be to the back and to the sides of the ship. I have one of them booked on the Zaandam (sister ship) and I am very curious if there is any view from this "fully obstructed" cabin.

Thanks,

Sean, I don't have a digital camera; I use disposables if I even use one at all.

I believe my grandgirl is taking one, however. If so, and if we can figure out how to send a photo to you, I'll be happy to do whatever I can. Something else I can try is to get friendly with the passengers in those cabins and go in and take a look. Then let you know what I saw.

Frankly, I think that may be your better shot! :D

Sean, I don't have a digital camera; I use disposables if I even use one at all.

I believe my grandgirl is taking one, however. If so, and if we can figure out how to send a photo to you, I'll be happy to do whatever I can. Something else I can try is to get friendly with the passengers in those cabins and go in and take a look. Then let you know what I saw.

Frankly, I think that may be your better shot! :D

Ok.....I really appreciate it! But I won't blame you if in the excitement of the cruise you forget.:)

Archived