New to Oceania and Europe

bchristo3

I need some help preparing for a May, 2007 Passport to Italy cruise. We will be visiting Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Messina, Positano, Florence/Pisa, LaSpezia and Rome. Should we purchase Euros before we arrive in Venice? What about tours? Are we better off booking our own with licensed guides or going with those provided by Oceania? This is our first trip to Europe and our first Oceania cruise. Any help would be appreciated.

B.

We don't purchase Euros in advance, just hit the ATMs for walking around money, and use our debit card (no fees) for purchases.

We found Venice, Dubrovnik, and Corfu very easy to do on our own.

For the Amalfi coast, we used Giovanni from http://www.tourofitaly.com for a private all day tour.

We haven't used the Oceania shore excursions, as we generally don't like large group travel--our wishes always seem to be at odds with the time spent at each place, and we don't like waiting for a bunch of people to get on/off the bus, use the restroom, etc.

Andee:

Thanks for the info. Any idea about the average cost of a tour?

B

Private tours are expensive in Europe ( as is everything) which is a good reason to find friends from these borads who are on your cruise and share.

Generally they are in about the 400+ Euro range for a 8 hr. tour.

All depends on the company.

I usually get some Euros before leaving home, if I will be needing them when arrive ( for taxis or tips)..just so don't have one more hassle when arrive.

I agree with Claudia and never arrive without any euro's. I did that on my last trip to Paris and waited in line at the only ATM in my section of the airport when they ran out of cash and I had to buy some from the Thomas Cooke kiosk at rip-off rates.

Buy a couple of hundred euro's here to have when you arrive. So you'll pay an extra few dollars in fee's, big deal. Then, once there, you can get more from ATM's as you need. And yes, make sure your debit card has a 4 digit PIN.

And I agree with LaraBlair - use your ATM card for cash and a credit card for purchases.

Before you travel, call you credit cards and bank and let them know which countries you'll be travelling to so they don't put a hold on your card for "suspicious activity".

I generally avoid tours, however, since this is your first trip to Europe and your first cruise you may want to sign up for Oceania's tours for the first one or two ports. (you can wait til close to cruise time to do that) Once you get your feet wet, you may meet other's aboard who have booked a private tour and perhaps looking for another couple to share and help bring the costs down. Although since you have almost a year, you might look around on this board in the European section and get some idea's for on-your-own excursions. It really depends on how independant you're feeling.

Dear bcristo3,

You are really lucky, you just got great advice from the best posters on this board.

The only thing I want to add is NOT to buy any counterfeit handbags on the street in Italy. I understand the authorities are charging a fortune if they catch any tourist with a "knockoff".

Also, don't carry a swinging handbag -- keep your money in a secret pouch or something to that effect and don't wear expensive jewelry on the street. Be really aware of what is going on around you. We Americans are BIG targets for theft!!!!!

Sheila

Since this is your first trip to Europe, consider reading Rick Steves' books for the ports that you are visiting. He has a lot of useful information for the "first timer". Also visit the Ports Section of this Web Site.

We were well satisfied with the Oceania offered excursions since they "hit" the spots that Rick suggested. If you decide to go with independent guides, you can get a lot of suggestions from this board and the appropriate board in the "Ports" section.

Definitely get some Euro's before going on your cruise. If you are a AAA member, consider their Tip Packs since they will include coins. Most WC's in Europe require you to pay the attendant before using the facilities. Some attendants make change, most don't. If you need to go, you may not feel like buying a coffee to use the facilities in a coffee shop.

I noticed that you are sailing in May 2007 and noticed the ports you listed. Are you by chance on the May 7, 2007 Regatta cruise?

Yes, that is the cruise we selected. I posted a response to your roll call on this cruise earlier. It is nice to read your posts since you have a lot of experience on Oceania.

B.

You've received some very good advise from several posters already, so I will try not to duplicate their thoughts, but rather deal with the basic question of ship sold tours, private guides, or going on your own.

My first thought is the you need to do your own research about each port by accessing more than one guidebook and comparing their suggestions. I like Fodor's then Fieldings. And there are many more. It also helps to read O's web site to learn what they do on each tour. The more you compare, the clearer your wants and objectives will be. I also suggest, no change that to urge, you contact the various national tourist offices and ask for city maps and Metro maps. They can help you make choices about how to get around and whether you need a tour. For example, for Venice, where you might be spending some time pre-cruise, having a map of the city and its "Metro", the vaparetto system, is invaluable.

Second, your options are much more complicated in a large metro stop such as Rome. The port from Rome is about 1.5 hours away regardless of whether you take a ship's tour, a private guide, a train, or take the ship bus roundtrip. The trains are frequent, reliable, and much less expensive, but always carry the risk of a strike or delays etc. And if you are not on the ship when the bell rings...... Then, again, Rome is so big and has so many major sites, a ship's tour is a good way to cover the important spots, albeit superficially. The ship's round trip bus gets you to the Vatican, and then you are on your own. Not bad for a not too busy time of the year. In Civitecchia (the stop for Rome), I know of numerous people who took a taxi to the train staion and the driver convinced them to use him to drive them to Rome, guide them, and then return to the ship. All said, it worked just fine and was more $ then the train, but less than regular tours or guides.

In a port like Dubrovnik, you can certainly do it all on your own-if you have done your research and sorted out your day's plan of action.

Now that I have your head spinning, I can promise you that being prepared will enable you to prioritize, see more, understand more and have more enriching experience.

Sorry not to have responded to you sooner. My wife (PA Nana) had surgery on Monday so will be out of commission for awhile. She will get back to you soon, has some great pix of the ship to share, etc. We loved our Oceania experience. Sure you will, too. A lot of folks on this board can provide you with valuable info.

John

Sorry not to have responded to you sooner. My wife (PA Nana) had surgery on Monday so will be out of commission for awhile. She will get back to you soon, has some great pix of the ship to share, etc. We loved our Oceania experience. Sure you will, too. A lot of folks on this board can provide you with valuable info.

John

Looking forward to hearing from her. Hope all goes well and she is sailing again soon.

B

Fellow readers,

I hate to deviate from the orginial post, but since ya'll are discussing and know the Mediterranean better than I ever will, which ports in the Med are the must see/visit?

Regards,

Hal in Ohio

Since this is your first time in Europe you might want to use some of Oceania's excursions.We did that on our first O Europeon cruise and then went to private tours. If you use private tours, you will have to team up with someone on the boards to make it cost effective but they are so much better. However, in Florence, I would just use Oceania's bus and do Florence on your own. It is a very easy city to get around. Do get yourself a good guide book and read, read, read so that you know ahead of time what you want to see and do in each port. Dubrovnick is the one port I would definitely recommend O's excursion if they still have it. It is the one that goes up into the countryside and includes a lunch at a private home. We did this two years ago and it was one of the best excursions we have ever done! This family is so warm and friendly and the afternoon with them is an incredible look into peasant life there. Corfu, Venice and Rome can definitely be done on your own as well. Positano should be done with a guide.

Hal2: I would recommend that you start a new thread so more people will have the opportunity to answer The Med's a big place, with lots of ports--how about telling us a little about your interests so we know what you're looking for.

HappyMarv: I have a debit card from M&I (Marshall & Ilsley) Bank in Milwaukee. It is the largest bank in Wisconsin, with brances in Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Kansas and Minnesota, but only in the top 50 nationally.

Hal2: I would recommend that you start a new thread so more people will have the opportunity to answer The Med's a big place, with lots of ports--how about telling us a little about your interests so we know what you're looking for.

Andee,

Thanks for the suggestion.

At this time, my only interest is to take my wife (early 50's) to the Mediterrean possible between August and October of 2007. Without going into much detail her health is failing and she has always wanted to see the Med. We have not been to the Med and hopefully we will get one cruise there.

Regards,

Hal

• 5 months later...

Hi:

It's decision time here and we are going on the cruise after much upheavel with family illness and such. My travel agent quoted the following for an extra night in Rome post cruise with transfer form the port:

Intercontinental

Standard $599.00 pp per nite (1st nt

300.00 pp per nite (each additional nite

Marriott

$499.00 pp per nite 1st nt.

$200.00 pp each additional nite

The transfers from the port to the hotel are quite pricy

because of the distance.

Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable?

Barb & David

Archived