Do we have to dress up all the time?

minniemom

I don't want to get in the middle of a debate here, and just want the OP to know that it is debated far more on these boards than onboard the ship.

The only other thing I wanted to add is that we found the dining rooms to be the exact temperature in Alaska as any other cruise. You will be indoors with the air/circulation system working. As a matter of fact, when we cruised Alaska, we could walk outside at night without a jacket, or just a very lightweight jacket. We even left our balcony door open all night. It can be cold up there, but don't forget it's summer there, too, they do get some warm weather.

I am getting worried here. I don't mind dressing up for dinner 2 or 3 times, but I think we must dress up on informal nights as well, and casual too. Never been on X before, and was told I would LOVE X. WE are going infinity to Alaska in 3 weeks and I am sure I will Love it. But I worry, that we have to be dressed up at all times. DH and I can dress up and we don't mind that, but am I not allowed to wear cropped pants on casual nights? I just don't want to dress wrong. When I talked to reservations, she said a nice shirt and tie were okay for informal nights, and you didn't need a jacket. But when I read on this, most of you say, NO you need a Jacket and a tie. So I am confussed. I just want to do the right thing, so I am asking for a little help in clearing this up for us. Thanks

Regardless of what is being said and I do believe in following the policies, here is how we dressed on our Celebrity cruises and never felt out of place.

Formal nights: guys wore tux on our 7 night cruise but suits on the 5 nighter; gals in formals both times.

Casual and informal the guys wore sport jackets once with open shirts and didn't even wear the jackets the second night: 7 night cruise. Gals dresses or pants and yes, capris worked. The 5 night cruise the guys didn't wear sport jackets at all and I don't think we wore dresses but I can't remember: Casual, the guys wore polo type shirts and the gals capris.

Don't worry too much, we were afraid the 5 night cruise we might be underdressed and feel uncomfortable but we were dressed the same as the majority of the passengers. NMNita

Copied directly from Celebrity website:

Evening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm.

Evening dress codes apply to main restaurant dining. Specialty restaurant dining*, requires a jacket for gentlemen and a dress or pants and a blouse for ladies every night.

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

These instructions leave much for interpretation and leave a lot room for people to work with. People put to much credence into what others think of them. I really don't care if what other people wear or what others think of me. I think that the dress code should be followed because my wife looks so hot dressing up in formal wear!!! She thinks I look good dressing up so I do it for her. This means a black suit on formal nights with suspenders for horizontal growth!;) On informal, I will be wearing a light weight dark blue sports coat with dockers. I am made for casual nights! I will be wearing bib overalls!:eek: Just kidding! I will wear dockers with a golf shirt. Dress code followed.:D

New posters come here for advice. And we like parents should guide them in the right direction and discourage them from doing other wise.

Everyone wants to have a good time, and everyone wants to fit in. So instead of telling folks what they can "get away with", or "its your cruise, dress as you like", lets steer them in the direction of following the rules, not making up new ones as they feel fit.

By doing this, We as X cruisers can keep up the dress code so we everyone looks great ALL THE TIME. By giving bad info and telling folks to do as they please is only going to disrupt our cruises in the future.

Follow the suggested dress code.

Dave:eek:

Copied directly from Celebrity website:

I am made for casual nights! I will be wearing bib overalls!:eek: Just kidding! I will wear dockers with a golf shirt. Dress code followed.:D

You know, I was on a cruise recently with a man who did wear his bib overalls (and a beat-up straw hat to go with them!) :eek:

Lisa

New posters come here for advice. And we like parents should guide them in the right direction and discourage them from doing other wise.

Everyone wants to have a good time, and everyone wants to fit in. So instead of telling folks what they can "get away with", or "its your cruise, dress as you like", lets steer them in the direction of following the rules, not making up new ones as they feel fit.

I disagree. Most people don't come here to be parented. Personally I would find that approach quite patronizing.

People come here for opinions and advice. Yours is one opinion. It may be an excellent opinion. It may be the majority opinion. But it's not the only opinion. Others are certainly entitled to give different advice.

I for one am glad that a variety of opinions are expressed, and encourage it to continue. That's part of what makes this board both interesting and useful.

IMO. :D

So if you were a new poster and 'decieded' to follow some advice from those who try to get away with things and you have a less than enjoyable experience because of it.....it doesn't matter?

Just for an example: Some one tells offers the opinion and past experience that you can bring your own booze on board. Its cheaper , and easier, more convenient. The new cruiser knows its against the rules, but its the opinion of many that they can do it. They go out, buy a lot of booze, stash it in their suitcase......then get caught with it, and its taken away with a scolding by security that it is not allowed. "But Cruise Critic told me I could............"

Or "Wear what you want..." "Nobody cares if you wear jeans in the diningroom at dinner...they won't throw you out"...so this person takes the advice once again AND gets denied entry into the Main diningroom....BUT "Cruise Critic said you don't enforce your dress code" "somebody told me they got in with jeans..."

I think its one thing to voice a responsible opinion, and another to just give BAD advice. Hey while your sneaking on booze, and breaking the dress codes, why not bring some pot on board...its okay as long as you stay in the smoking sections...isn't it?

Dave, you make a great point by distinguishing "bad advice" from "differing opinions." The difference, as I see it, is that "bad advice" is telling somebody something that is verifiable false or wrong. For example, I agree with you that to tell someone, "No one cares what you wear," is bad advice - because it's verifiably not true. Many people, particularly on Celebrity, clearly DO care what other people wear, and that's fine.

But if someone wants to tell another poster, "Personally I don't follow the dress code. Some may give me disapproving looks, but I'm on vacation and I'm going to wear what I want to wear," - well, you and I may disagree with that attitude, but that isn't necessarily "bad advice" since nothing in that version is false. It's just someone's differing opinion - and no question some people do have the opinion that not following the dress code is no big deal to them. We can't change that. Better, I think, to live with it and enjoy ourselves anyway.

Trying to "parent" others or confront them doesn't make any sense to me either. We can certainly offer our own opinion (as I've noticed you often do regarding the dress code :D ), but I think our "perspective" should be that of fellow passenger and fellow adult, not parent or policeperson or superior authority. People rarely respond well to that sort of attitude anyway.

Your other example, about bringing booze on board, is very contentious. You may go to your grave absolutely, positively convinced you are right and those that bring booze on board are wrong, but I think you may have a better time of it prior to the grave if you also accept that not everyone sees it as you do, that many won't ever see it as you do, and most likely it won't have a major affect on your life anyway. This is cruise ship rules we're talking about, not federal laws or civil rights or economic policies or religious beliefs. Those things may be worth fighting over, sometimes even losing lives over. Sweating this stuff, on the other hand, seems like wasted energy to me.

Sorry for philosophizing, but hey, that's just my opinion. :D

Actually, shorts and/or jeans ARE acceptable at breakfast and lunch, just not at night in the dining room.

Really? I could swear that in the daily newsletter, it said jeans were never allowed (although I see in the dress code reprinted in this thread that I am mistaken). Seems as if I skipped dining room meals for nothing... I'll know better next time.

Thats one of the "grey " areas. Like tie or no tie on Informal evenings.

As I look through my dailys from my previous cruises, It seems like 50% of them say 'No Jeans' period, and the other 50% say differently. I guess it either depends on who is writing it that specific day, or what pre-determined type they just paste into the form.

Being a frequent X cruiser, I have always been led to believe that shorts and jeans were okay to wear in the main diningroom for breakfast and lunch. The code applied through out the ship beginning at 6:00pm. As many depart right after for a shore excursion when in port, it wouldn't make any sense to 'dress up' for breakfast then go back and change to go ashore.......

However If I have been wrong about this, someone let me know.

I ALWAYS dress for dinner and stay that way until they carry me back to my cabin, or let me out of the brig:D .

Just for the record, for our first cruise next year we will be dressing up ! because in my usual, day to day, retired, living in the country life - dressed up is : clean jeans with no holes !!

so, I've bought a whole set of new clothes just for the cruise and you bet I want to get some use out of them.

And another thing, I told my DH about all the discussions on this site about formal wear, etc., and he said - his Tux is way more comfortable than a regular suit and tie - he wears a s & t 5 days a week to work , and owns a tux for formal business dinners - he will gladly wear his tux instead of a suit - and it wasn't an expensive one either !

and Ladies : I found a lovely gown that is actually 2 pieces - so a seamtress is making me a 2nd top for the skirt - voila ! - a 2nd formal dress !

I'm really looking forward to the whole dressing up thing too. In "real" life, I don't get much opportunity to wear a formal, so, I'm dressing up to the nines. I feel like Cinderella going to the ball. Just imagine, I'll look twice as good if I'm at dinner sitting with tablemates wearing cut off shorts and

t's.:D

event.png

I'm really looking forward to the whole dressing up thing too. In "real" life, I don't get much opportunity to wear a formal, so, I'm dressing up to the nines. I feel like Cinderella going to the ball. Just imagine, I'll look twice as good if I'm at dinner sitting with tablemates wearing cut off shorts and

t's.:D

event.png

bonbon663: the cinderella bit - you bet - me too !!!! I understand completely - I've never owned anything as elegant as what I just bought - far nicer than my wedding dress (23 yrs ago) - which was, well, a dress !, we didn't have two cents to rub together back then but I'm making up for it now and it sure is fun !!!!

Gosh, I am feeling bad, I have a lovely "Cinderella" dress, that is a little tight. I am exercising, but still, less than 2 weeks to go, so at this point I am not sure what my evening gown will be.

Bonbon663, it would be fun to meet. But I am SOOOO excited.

Sooooo excited I wish I was cruising with you too. YOu sound fun. WE actually live on a ranch, so I laughed about the jeans with no holes.

Gosh, I am feeling bad, I have a lovely "Cinderella" dress, that is a little tight. I am exercising, but still, less than 2 weeks to go, so at this point I am not sure what my evening gown will be.

Bonbon663, it would be fun to meet. But I am SOOOO excited.

Sooooo excited I wish I was cruising with you too. YOu sound fun. WE actually live on a ranch, so I laughed about the jeans with no holes.

minniemom: thanks for the compliment - we don't have anything close to a ranch but it sounds like you and I have similar lifestyles - maybe we'll meet on some future cruise and dare I also admit to buying some makeup too for the first time in many years - so I could practice - good thing - a little eye makeup and lipstick - the first time I used it I felt like Bozzo the Clown !!! but I'm getting used to it ; so, then I bought some nail polish - well, I have a year to learn that too!! , and there's always a last minute manicure on the ship if needed !!!! LOL !!!!

I'm so fashion challenged it's not funny !!!!

A little hint for the gals who would like to get all gussied up but don't want to spend a fortune for something that will only be worn infrequently. BW goes to the recycle shops for her formals. She gets $400-500 dresses for as little as $40-50. So what if someone else wore it once or twice. The last one still had the new tags on it so it had never been worn. For guys, check the tux rental shops. They frequently are selling some stock at great prices.

A little hint for the gals who would like to get all gussied up but don't want to spend a fortune for something that will only be worn infrequently. BW goes to the recycle shops for her formals. She gets $400-500 dresses for as little as $40-50. So what if someone else wore it once or twice. The last one still had the new tags on it so it had never been worn. For guys, check the tux rental shops. They frequently are selling some stock at great prices.

My fiance found a beautiful tux at a local consignment shop for $50. It was in perfect condition!

I am lucky on ebay and have snagged a few high end formal dresses for $25 or so. Since I enjoy having a variety of options, it works well for me!

:)

My fiance found a beautiful tux at a local consignment shop for $50. It was in perfect condition!

I am lucky on ebay and have snagged a few high end formal dresses for $25 or so. Since I enjoy having a variety of options, it works well for me!

I have bought mine on Ebay also...and got some really, really great deals!!

event.png

I guess I better learn this 'ebay' stuff. Haven't gone near that yet and I live too far from good stores to 'keep an eye out for a deal'; I did get my dress on sale - does that count ? but then there's the shoes and purse I needed too. But my 'dress' is really two pieces so I can wear a different top and make a 'new' dress; and, I figure we will just have to do another cruise, or 2, or 3 ???? so I can wear the dress lots and amortize the cost over all the cruises, and then I'll get the skirt shortened to cocktail length and start all over !!

Archived