Do we have to dress up all the time?

minniemom

I been reading all the posts, and I have a different slant on this issue.

I do enjoy dressing for dinner. BUT, I've come to the conclusion, that dressing for the food is far from where I want my attention to be centered on. I dress for the experience. Now the experience can be two poached eggs...but if it is served in a lovely setting, and I'm surrounded by friends that I value, and look forward to being with each evening...then the experience is worthy of dressing for the occasion.

It's the occasion that we dress for. It's the respect of the cruiseline that we dress for. It's the attitude that we bring to our vacation that we dress for.

Karyn

YES!

"I would hate for Celebrity to be perceived as the "snobby" cruise line where people would be afraid to go because they wouldn't fit in."

Personally, I would hate for Celebrity to be percieved as the cruise line that doesn't enforce its policies where people do what ever they please because " I paid for my vacation" attitude runs rampid. This is where it is heading.

I would like to see Celebrity be the line that DOES enforce thier policies and attracts people who want the experience of a traditional elegant sailing adventure.

As for the dress shirt, slacks and tie scenario during formal and informal evenings.....Celebrity offers a casual dining alternative that is just as nice as the main dining experience. No one is starving or being denied something they paid for. They are on a ship, on vacation, with plentiful food. Its their choice whether to comply and participate in an event, or to not comply and attend an alternative.

Dave:eek:

If they are just being defiant, make them uncomfortable. walk by and take a picture letting them know what jerks they are, repeatedly ask to be move to a different table, or have them moved.....

People, this problem is happening because we let it. It may be X's policy....but if we don't push our dissastisfaction of their laxability to thier own policies....They aren't going to do anything about it.

Start with the letters and E-mails....follow up with documenting and comfornting the Maitre'd and passengers...

I would not take that advice. The cruise lines first priority is a passengers safety (no matter how they are dressed). I think it is safe to say if there is a passenger stalking (in essence that is what you described) taking pictures, making inappropriate comments (i.e. jerk) and repeatedly walking by them I think you may be the one finding yourself in an undesirable situation. If you would be reported I can guarantee the officers would step in. I say this because it happened on my last cruise, not for the attire a woman was wearing. A man was doing pretty much everything you described taking pictures, making comments and he was told he had to stay away from her or would be put off at the ship. X even made him change dinner seating times! My point is only that it doesn't matter why you do something only how it is interpreted and behavior like that would not be interpretable favorable by anyone but most importantly the cruise line.

write letters, ask to move tables, write comments on the comment card etc. but from what I witnessed on my last cruise if you behave like that you will find yourself off the ship!

I wouldn't consider walking by a table of passengers in defiance of the dress code on formal nights taking a picture, and saying something like " You guys must be really important that you don't have to follow the dress codes" and walking away.

Now If someone harassed a passenger everyday, followed them around the ship and was relentless...I would call that stalking.

Expressing your opinion, and or confronting someone who is defiant, is not harassment or stalking. Maybe thats where the foundation of this whole problems lays.....nobody wants to get involved, so they let it slide.

I also want to state that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.....as BB5393 states. The first priority is safety. Think before your actions.

I think people get too hung up over the specifics of "informal" and "formal". I think if the effort is made to be in the spirit of the evening that should be sufficient. By that I mean if a man has never owned a suit, does not have the means to purchase a suit or formal wear and has stretched his last dollar to take his family on a cruise he can wear dress slacks, a white shirt and tie and still look "presentable".

One of our favorite things to do on formal night is sit in the Rendevouz Lounge and watch people get their pics taken. I have seen everything for women from formal "mother of the bride" gowns to Sunday-go-to-meeting dresses. And men in everything from tuxes to the aforementioned white shirt and tie.

It looks to me and I'm sure everyone else, that the more plainly dressed people are well-groomed and are putting their best foot forward and are in the "spirit" of the evening. You don't have to be restricted to Carnival or NCL for a totally casual atmosphere. I would hate for Celebrity to be perceived as the "snobby" cruise line where people would be afraid to go because they wouldn't fit in.

Great post. I agree completely. I care more about the effort somebody put forth to make the evening feel more special than I do about the actual clothes they are wearing.

Great post. I agree completely. I care more about the effort somebody put forth to make the evening feel more special than I do about the actual clothes they are wearing.

Not only that but I am always amazed when these threads come up... you would think half the DR shows up in jeans. In my experience it has been >5% of passengers who show up not following the suggested attire and within that 5% maybe one or two people show up in jeans!!! I think the reason X doesn't enforce the dress code is because most follow it and it simply isn't worth the hassle to "confront" the very few who don't.

IMO and I know others aren't able to do this but I would focus on your vacation and what you are doing and not what others are doing/wearing.

Bonbon663:

You are going to look fabulous, and more importantly you will feel fabulous. One of the fun things to do on a cruise is to admire all of the lovely clothes worn by both men and women on formal nights. We just overlook those who look tacky...it's their choice.

My DH and I started cruising in 1980 and have been on 48 cruises, including the Caribbean, South America, Europe, Australia, and both transatlantic and transpacific. Sometimes it is the area of the world that you are in that determines the clothing worn. On formal nights in Europe it is very common for the men to wear white dinner jackets...they look super sexy.

Certainly the weather (summer, winter, etc. ) contributes. However, I have found that the main dining room is always well air-conditioned, so I bring a special sweater or shawl to wear if I feel cold.

After all these years, I still get so excited for first-time cruisers....there is no experience quite like it again.

So...go...enjoy...and let us hear from you when you return.

Marilyn

Drew B

BB5953

shofer

Great posts here. I agree people are too caught up in impressing others or themselves in what they can afford to bring or wear. In the last 4 days, I have lost 2 very close friends of mine, one to cancer, and the other to a heart attack/stroke. Another brother-in-law, was in a construction accident, he is lying in a coma, not waking up, fighting for his life. He may have severe brain damage as a result, at least he is still alive.

These past few days, I have realized that life is too short too worry about how new someones TUX might be. How old someone else's suit might be. Maybe it hasn't been out of the closet in years, and the man proudly wears it. Now my DH, has many suits, so that isn't an issue with me, but I know myself, I was so caught up in not looking out of place, and what to wear.

But after all that has gone on in my life with the recent deaths, and we leave in just 8 days, it all somehow doesn't seem important. What it important, is being able to go on a cruise in the first place.

Having been married to the same man for 30 years, to be able to go on an anniversary cruise. Life is just too precious and short to worry about the stupid things in life.

I agree, life is too short to worry about fitting in or what others think. However, life is also too short not to take an opportunity to have an extra-special evening with a loved one, and dressing up and feeling all gorgeous is a big part of it IMO.

DaddyPlaid-you sound like my husband!!! After weeks of reading this board and 12 cruises on Princess, our first X cruise is coming up and we have been fighting for a week! All this informal night business is unnerving. Never have been out of place on casual nights but formal AND informal is breaking my marriage.... I just want to get on the ship Saturday and enjoy my well deserved vacation. The Zenith has limited casual dining as I have heard and I will be the first in line to make reservations. Just try to enjoy, this thread has gone on tooooooooo long!!!

Nana G,

You make me smile because my DH is acting the same way! I am doubting if I ever get him in a tux again:( ...he looks so nice in one too!

Woo

Drew B

BB5953

shofer

Great posts here. I agree people are too caught up in impressing others or themselves in what they can afford to bring or wear. In the last 4 days, I have lost 2 very close friends of mine, one to cancer, and the other to a heart attack/stroke. Another brother-in-law, was in a construction accident, he is lying in a coma, not waking up, fighting for his life. He may have severe brain damage as a result, at least he is still alive.

These past few days, I have realized that life is too short too worry about how new someones TUX might be. How old someone else's suit might be. Maybe it hasn't been out of the closet in years, and the man proudly wears it. Now my DH, has many suits, so that isn't an issue with me, but I know myself, I was so caught up in not looking out of place, and what to wear.

But after all that has gone on in my life with the recent deaths, and we leave in just 8 days, it all somehow doesn't seem important. What it important, is being able to go on a cruise in the first place.

Having been married to the same man for 30 years, to be able to go on an anniversary cruise. Life is just too precious and short to worry about the stupid things in life.

I'm so sorry about your losses! I hope you will be able to get some enjoyment out of your trip despite how devastated you must be. Embrace that husband of yours and treasure every moment, both on the ship and in your regular lives.

We just completed our first ever cruise on the Constellation. I was really stressed out about the dress code stuff before we left but it was no problem at all.

I wore a dark suit and tie for formal nights, a sports jacket (no tie) and slacks for informal and golf shirt and same slacks for casual. Another time I may rent a tux to avoid schlepping the suit all over the Mediterranean.

The Celebrity service and laid back comfort makes it well worth any dress code considerations.

Sounds like you should leave the babies at home and have a real vacation.;)

Yeh, what's up with this aversion to wearing a suit or jacket. Tie is not even necessary except on formal night so what is the problem here. Don't have one, buy one, they are not expensive and you could even wear it to church, a funeral or some other function.

There is a thread over on the HAL board about jeans in the main dining room on casual night. It appears that HAL has changed their policy, and now do not prohibit jeans in the dining room on casual night.

It appears that X is now the only true "Premium" cruise line, fitting between the mass market lines and the Luxury lines. I think that this change in HAL policy has dropped them in status from premium into mass market.

I don't want to get into the debate over how formal to dress on formal nights, but i do have a question regarding the formal nights.

We have cruised on Royal Carribean, Carnival and Norwegian. We are cruising for the first time on the Century in August. For those of you who have sailed RCCL and Celebrity, is there really much of a difference in how dressy one gets for the formal nights? I am planning on bringing long gowns for the formal nights and my hubby will wear a tux, but i was rather curious, as we saw all types of dress on the other ships.

thanks in advance,

bonnie

I don't want to get into the debate over how formal to dress on formal nights, but i do have a question regarding the formal nights.

We have cruised on Royal Carribean, Carnival and Norwegian. We are cruising for the first time on the Century in August. For those of you who have sailed RCCL and Celebrity, is there really much of a difference in how dressy one gets for the formal nights? I am planning on bringing long gowns for the formal nights and my hubby will wear a tux, but i was rather curious, as we saw all types of dress on the other ships.

thanks in advance,

bonnie

IME on X, the great majority of passengers dress appropriately and remain that way throughout the evening.:)

Enjoy Century and please post a review when you return.

The reduction of the dress code on HAL is another indication of the effect of the takeover by Carnival. It seems to go along with the concept of hairy leg contests, "adult" comedians, and super cheap cabins and super expensive extras.

There is a thread over on the HAL board about jeans in the main dining room on casual night. It appears that HAL has changed their policy, and now do not prohibit jeans in the dining room on casual night.

Hmmmmm, too bad HAL felt the need to dumb down their dress code. :(

I really hope that Celebrity doesn't follow suit.

We just booked our first Celebrity Cruise on the Zenith for October. I don't want to belabor this point, but I just read a review on another site about a lady who said she was absolutely not allowed into the main dining room for breakfast or lunch if she was wearing shorts. I've got the evening dress code down pat, but am a little confused over daytime. I just told my husband that nice golf type shorts would be fine during the day based on what I've read, but now am unsure!

I wouldn't consider walking by a table of passengers in defiance of the dress code on formal nights taking a picture, and saying something like " You guys must be really important that you don't have to follow the dress codes" and walking away.

Did you mean to say you would not consider taking the above action to be stalking? That's how it comes across in your post, that you actually would consider taking the above action. If so, IMO you are (1) out of your mind, and (2) in need of a chill pill.

What is likely to happen after you walk by making critical remarks about other people's - total strangers' - attire? In the first place, IMO, you're being just as rude as they are. In the second place, there is a reasonable chance someone at the table will say something antagonistic back to you, and pretty soon a war of words will have started (unless you have the good sense to walk away, but then, if you had that good sense you'd have kept your mouth shut in the first place, IMO). What's the result? You've made a scene - hardly civilized or elegant or refined of you, right? - and if anyone asks how it started, YOU started it.

Look, Dave, you've got strong opinions about the dress code. Fine. And you're in the right, no doubt about it, though you may be a touch militant for the majority of us. You want to do letter writing, or make quiet complaints to management on the ship, that stuff is fine. But really - going around making snide comments, or even asking to be moved or trying to have others moved? That's all just a bit much. No wonder you lost your hair. You'll have ulcers and other problems if you let this kind of stuff get to you. Just bite your tongue as you walk by and accept the fact that not everyone will adhere to your high sartorial standards. No chance. Trying to "embarrass" or "bully" others into seeing things your way has worked peacefully how many times in the history of the human race? Hmm....zero?

Let it go. Enjoy your cruise. Please. For your own sake.

No offense, Gorilla, but IMO the quality of a cruise has nothing to do with the dress code at dinner. Think SEADREAM, OCEANIA, WINDSTAR, all of whom I'm told are premuim lines, with a very relaxed dress code, and most say with service and food of a much higher quality than X.

That you would prefer the standard evening dinner dress code and may choose one cruise or one line over another is your right/choice, but there's most likely an equal number of contrary people who will choose HAL over X for that very same reason.

Regardless of one's position regarding evening dinner dress codes, the reality is as cruise lines target a younger demographic, the codes will be relaxed. I expect 'informal' to go the way of the dodo bird within 2 years.

Things change...

jc

toronto

galalxy sept 25th

Archived