Visitors Visa - Canadians - Ephesus

We are in port (Ephesus) for the day and wish to book our own private tour. Our TA tells me that we require a visitors visa if we book our own tour off the ship. Visa Cost is $75 Cdn at the Turkish Consulate in Ottawa. Our TA tells us that if we book a tour with RCCL we are not require to get a visa. I called RCCL and was directed to call the Turkish Consulate.

I viewed the Turkish Consulate info on the web and found it to be confusing. It seemed to apply / indicate if you were staying over night you would require a visa.

I have emailed a private tour operator and still waiting for a reply.

Is there any fellow Canadians who have booked their own tours and were you require to get a visa in advance?

Your guidance is much appreciate. We sail in October.

I haven't been, but from everything i've read here, you only need a Visa if you are staying in Turkey overnight. It's got nothing to do with taking a private tour. Turkey is Turkey, it shouldn't matter where you are. We're taking a private tour in Istanbul and will definitely not be getting a visa.

Bullock, when we disembarked at Istanbul a couple of years ago, our cruiseline had taken care of the visas for us, there was nothing to do. If you're just in port for the day, I'm surprised that your cruiseline did not do the same for you, but I guess you have to trust your TA.

So, if you can't find out for sure, the visa is probably the way to go. I looked into it too, and could not find a way of getting a visa except through the embassy in Ottawa (I'm in Toronto, I don't believe they have a consulate here.) And yes, the website is mighty confusing! The turks are not known for their organization skills.

Bullock, when we disembarked at Istanbul a couple of years ago, our cruiseline had taken care of the visas for us, there was nothing to do. .

But you disembarked, he only wants to take a tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ghlight=turkey

I found that link, there's a lot of conversation around Visas... If it ends up that you do need one, you don't have to get it in advance, but I highly doubt you will.

Hi, we are on the Galaxy in August and have booked private tours in Istanbul and Kusadasi. We were informed that unless we were staying on land overnight, no visa was necessary.

Hi

To announce my "bias" I am a Travel agent....your question was an interesting one and has come up frequently in our office.

We have talked to the Turkish Consul in Vancouver and this is the "Official Answer"

I don't "think" you need one! (His words exactly)

Hoewever, since you are just going in for the day, he is fairly sure that you don't require one. Even if you do, obtaining one at the port of entry is not a big deal and is certainly cheaper than obtaining one in Canada as not only is there the fee, but you have to foot the bill for courier fees to and from your location to the Embassy in Ottawa.

Hope this helps

Have a great Trip

Trevor

Thanks to all that replied. We will proceed with booking our private tour without the visa. Looking forward to our trip in October, Turkey appears to be a beautiful Country with lots to see and do. Will see what we can jam into our 8 hours in port.

Neil

Archived