Propose on Explorer of the Seas

Hey everyone, I'll be taking my second cruise in 5 days along with my family and my girlfriend. I'm planning on proposing to her while we're there. I know this has been discussed before, but it was on the Carnival board so I thought I'd bring it up agian to see if there were any new ideas. I was originally thinking of waiting until we got to an island, but I've pretty much changed my mind.

Our third day on the ship marks our anniversary of being together for 7 months and I think it's really romantic to propose on that day.

Anyone disagree? Should I wait until we're on an island? I'd love the thoughts of those of you who've been around a few times. :-)

If romance and thoughtfulness are important to her, then propose on the "anniversary" date....most women would be thrilled to know their guy cares enough to remember such things!

And unless you are 10,000% sure she will say yes, make it a private romantic event, not a public spectacle.

A secluded corner in Chops or Portifinos restaurant just the two of you. Plan ahead with whoever will be your server and the Head waiter, might be the way to go. I would also do it on your anniversary too. A special something, but I would not allow them to bring in the engagement ring too much could happen. Maybe a special sign with the word Will or a small cake with will.... You supply the rest.

The Helicopter pad at the front of the ship is the most romantic spot on Explorer. If you do it on the ship, I would do it there.

I personally would NOT want to be proposed to on the helipad! (Unless the ship is docked). It is SOOOOOOOOO windy on the helipad when the ship is moving that whenever I am on it I am constantly fumbling with my hair which is blowing in my face and mouth and eyes....a definite hinderance for a romantic moment for me! If your girlfriend has long hair, nix the helipad idea (unless the ship is not in motion!) Somewhere less windy in the moonlight is always romantic. Portofino is also a great, romantic idea. Let the staff know what you are up to and they will assist in any way they can.

A friend of mine asked his wife on a small island near us.

What he did, is he went there ahead of time, set up a table, chairs, and some music (boom box lol ) . He had a full meal set up in a cooler...and drinks of course.

They went to this island and he popped the question over dinner.

Maybe on one of your stops you could enlist your family and friends to set up a "special" spot for you to take her !

How wonderful of you to look for ways to make this truly special !

Let us know how it turns out !

Sue

My niece was recently proposed to on the beach at sunset (in Jamaica). She was very surprised and elated. She describes the proposal as if it were the most romantic setting she could imagine, so I guess it was a good choice by her fiance! I don't know what your itinerary is or if you would ever be able to be on a beach at sunset (since the ships usually sail away from most ports at dinnertime) but my niece's proposal was very simple (they were just walking down the beach, hand-in-hand, watching the sunset, and the boyfriend started a deep and caring conversation about how wonderful it was to be there with her, etc, etc, blah blah blah, and then knelt down, pulled the ring out of his pocket, and the you know the rest! Very simple, very little planning, very romantic, and according to my niece who tells the story over and over with tears in her eyes...very memorable! If you are not on a beach at sunset, I would imagine this plan would also work anywhere on the ship at sunset! Just take a stroll along the outdoor promenade area while watching the sunset. When it feels right, drop down on the knee and VOILA! You are engaged! No matter what plan you come up with, your dear girlfriend/wife-to-be will never forget it! Just don't stress yourself out too much. It is supposed to be memorable for you too! You don't want to be panic stricken with details and not be able to enjoy your cruise! Good luck whatever you do!

I was proposed to on a beach in Varadero at sunset. It was perfect. Even though I was expecting it, it was still a surprise. We were taking a walk in the evening, my husband was looking at a shell on his knees, asked me to come take a look at it, grabbed my hand, and the rest is history. Our upcoming cruise is for our third anniversary!

Just take a stroll along the outdoor promenade area while watching the sunset. When it feels right, drop down on the knee and VOILA! You are engaged!

That's exactly what I was thinking. See, we'll be on St. Thomas until 11pm, but the nearest beach is a 20 minute taxi ride. So...I think it's a dead giveaway if I say, "hey, let's drive to this secluded beach, just the two of us." ;)

Plus, I kind of want to hit the 7-month anniversary, which would mean we'd be on the ship. I don't think she'd want anything too public, so I think the top deck at sunset is the best bet.

Ryaninc:

Wishing you all the best on your proposal. It will be a very special day for both of you!:)

St. Thomas is absolutely beautiful, especially at sunset.

Since you have a few days before the proposal, scope out the ship to find that special place for the two of you. Being outside and watching the sunset is a definite for the proposal. Try to find a location on one of the upper decks so you have a perfect view of St. Thomas/sunset.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Plus, I kind of want to hit the 7-month anniversary, which would mean we'd be on the ship. I don't think she'd want anything too public, so I think the top deck at sunset is the best bet.

I second this idea and maybe ask the photographer to just happen to be nearby to get the big "YES". :)

Good luck!

It might be a good idea to let the ship Photographer in on it and get pictures to help remember the occasion and give your "fiance" something to show the "girls" back at the office.

It might be a good idea to let the ship Photographer in on it and get pictures to help remember the occasion and give your "fiance" something to show the "girls" back at the office.

Oh definitely. Either that or enlist my brother to sneak along behind us and grab a few shots. Which is probably what I'll end up doing...he's already agreed to the possibility. :-)

Anyway, I think I've got it all worked out. We leave in 4 days...I literally can't wait. It's been all I can do not to give her the ring already. :D

Just an idea. How about saying to her, "Let's go up to the deck where they have the weddings on the ship?" Once you get up there and after you both look around, ask her then.

See, to be very honest, I don't think it's going to matter where I take her...she'll be expecting it anyway. Think about it...on the exact day of our 7-month anniversary, on a cruise ship, at sunset...

It won't matter where I say, "Let's go for a walk," to, I have a feeling she's going to know what's coming. Which doesn't really matter, it'll still be a romantic and memorable moment, but you know... :)

I hope she doesn't read the boards!!! LOL

Anyplace will be fine..............I kinda like the idea of in Portofino and have them write something on the plate.......

or, well, maybe get the cabin attendant to make you 2 towel animal swans...if you put their heads together it makes a heart. then maybe you could tie the ring around them on a little ribbon? hmm...

anyway...congrats and enjoy your cruise......the EOS is a great ship.

hmmm....if you are sure she will say yes, and you want to do it in public, maybe you could work something out with the CD to do at a show?? If the CD is still Allen Brooks, he's very nice, funny and would probably be up for this.

just some thoughts....................

Oh definitely. Either that or enlist my brother to sneak along behind us and grab a few shots. Which is probably what I'll end up doing...he's already agreed to the possibility. :-)

Anyway, I think I've got it all worked out. We leave in 4 days...I literally can't wait. It's been all I can do not to give her the ring already. :D

I was just on the Explorer last month.

Someone just posted on the other board (WE ALL WANT PICTURES RYAN) how to post your pictures:

Here's how I do it:

1. Open a free account with photobucket.com (web photo hosting)

2. Post your pics to photobucket by uploading (follow the instructions from photobucket; it's easy).

3. Call up one of the photos from photobucket - right-click the photo then select properties, then copy the link of the picture.

Open up a reply here, click the small icon at the top of the edit page (the small yellow icon with mountain in background) and enter that link in the "insert image" window. Click ok, the pic should appear.

I was just on the Explorer last month.

Someone just posted on the other board (WE ALL WANT PICTURES RYAN) how to post your pictures...

Don't worry, I'll get pictures. :) I'm planning on getting the in-room Internet, meaning I'll be able to upload pictures in semi-real-time. :)

Here's a shot of us taken less than a month ago, though:

RyanShelsySmaller.JPG

And even if she knows it's coming, it'll still be a memorable moment, you know? But I do promise to put up pictures...especially if my brother is able to sneak along behind us and grab a few shots of the actual proposal. :D

I'm not sure most girls would be "expecting" a proposal on their 7-month anniversary :confused: Yes, she expects you to remember each and every milestone, but a proposal at 7-months? I would think she would be expecting it on your one YEAR anniversary!

You may be able to throw enough of a smokescreen just by focusing on the 7-month thing and how you can't believe it's almost been a whole year! Tell her you want her to start thinking of something extra special to do for your one year anniversary! Then she may think, "aha! He's going to propose on our 1 year anniversary!" Then, just when she is mentally envisioning what your one year anniversary is going to be like you spring it on her! :eek: :D

I'm not sure most girls would be "expecting" a proposal on their 7-month anniversary...

Well, no, maybe not most girls, but I've just really got a feeling that she knows it's coming. Which is okay, because, hey...I know it's coming, too. :D

But still, it will be an "expected surprise" (if such a thing is possible), in that she'll still be thrilled (I hope). ;)

I (now 28) proposed to my girlfriend (27) aboard Adventure of the Seas in July of 2004. I met up with the cruise director while she was getting a massage. I proposed in front of about 1000 people in the Promenade of the ship just before the Captain gave his speech on the first formal night. I must say it was amazing....I had a tuxedo on and she had a gown on. I got the whole proposal on video and we even made it a part of our wedding video.

We rigged the whole thing by having the cruise director ask for two volunteers for a magic trick.....he walked around for about 20 or so seconds and then picked us. We went up on the bridge and after he had us both close our eyes, I got down on one knee and said my whole speech...

I'm telling you....it is an amazing thing....best of luck to you!

...wait till the end of the cruise! :eek: :p Then she will think, "I'll be damned! I thought for sure the oaf was going to propose! He sure fooled me!" then, when she has given up hope...KABLAAM!!!!

I'm not really endorsing this idea! ;) You'd be on pins and needles the entire cruise! And she'd be more and more disappointed as each day passed. She might throw the ring box at your head! :D But, we still want to see the pictures!

Last November. I wasn't expecting it at all! My fiance is very 'planful' and arranged to have a vase of red roses waiting for me in the cabin (hint hint) and actually proposed the minute we got to our cabin. He was planning it for months and considered all the other options, but decided to do it immediately because it gave us a few hours to call all the important people and share the wonderful news before we pulled away to sea. I am sure i was an interesting sight on the top deck of the ship on my cell phone, staring at my finger, crying my eyes out! (happy tears!)

We then called Portofino to make a reservation that evening, and got a free bottle of champagne, and then we had a blissful week of being engaged which did not include any wedding planning! It was perfect.

Good luck and have a great time, I am sure whatever you do will be perfect!

Archived