planning for first cruise...help!

smurd83

I'm warning you now, this is a long and semi-random post, so please forgive my sporaticness!

I've been trying to plan a honeymoon for months now (looking for an early July 2007 date for departure), and I'm about to lose my mind! My fiance has no preferance on where we go, she would just like to be around water, and wants it to be a secret from her until we leave (not sure if that's possible, but we're trying!) I've gone from wanting to go to an all-inclusive hotel in the caribbean, to renting a villa for a week in the caribbean, to trying to find ways to make Tahiti affordable, to trying to find Greece/Italy in the summer to be affordable, and back through all the options again, never even once considering a cruise (mainly because I've never been on one and had no idea what they were like).

But lately I've decided to look into them, and realized how much fun they seem to be, and how I've already done the whole hotel and villa thing so it'd be fun to try something new. I would LOVE a Mediterranean cruise or a Tahiti cruise, but with a budget of roughly $4,000-$4,500 total, I don't see that happening :( It seems like the caribbean would be the best option, and from what I've seen, the southern caribbean seems to be the most appropriate area for us (especially St. Lucia, oh-so-gorgeous from what i've seen!) The 2 cruise lines I've seen that go that route are Carnival and Royal Caribbean. So far, I've heard that Carnival is a bit cheaper but you get a bit less too. We're both musicians so entertainment is important to us, and I'm the pickiest eater in the world, so a range of food options is also rather important. Are you able to eat at most of the restaurants at the ship at anytime (including dinner) for free? No extra charge? Order pizza anytime you want for free and get it delivered for free too?

Oo, one more random question (sorry)..I've heard some complaints about the rooms on Royal Caribbean. I was looking into getting a lower priced balcony room, and I'm concerned it may be rather cramped inside and I've heard the sofa and beds are rather uncomfortable. Any insight to this? Thanks for sticking through my long confusing post!! I'll take any help you can offer!

Dinner would be free in the dining room at set hours. Early seating is usually around 6:00 pm and late is usually around 8:30 pm. You have to choose ahead of time which seating time you want, and stick to it the entire cruise. If you want more flexible dining, there is always the windjammer buffet style dinner, which is usually open for dinner from about 6:00 or so till about 9:00, and you can dine there anytime you want. Some of the larger ships have more dining options, i.e. Radiance Class, Voyager Class and Freedom Class. The newer Voyager Class ships (Mariner and Navigator), and Freedom Class ships have both Chops Grille and Portofinos Italian, but there is a $20 charge per person. Voyager class and Freedom Class have Cafe Promenade which is snacks and pizza which is open 24 hours. Room service is also 24 hours. I have never had Pizza deilvered to the room, so I am not sure if that is possible. Freedom also has Sorrentos Pizza which is open from lunch until 3:00 am. If you go to RCCL.com, you can explore the different class of ships, and if you click on 'activities on board' you can see the dining options. Just be aware that if you are exploring Freedom Class ships, they are brand new ships, with only 1 in service at this time, and they have not updated all the features. Freedom Class ships also include Sorrentos Pizza and Jade Cafe (asian fusion) which are not listed on their website.

On Freedom Class and Voyager Class ships, there are only 2 sizes of balcony staterooms. They are very close in size and range from about 170 sqft to about 206 sqft, depending on the ship you choose. Unless you get a suite, the rooms are quite small. Freedom Class only does Western and Eastern Caribbean routes, but they have the largest balconies and the most options of any RCCL ship. Voyager Class ships have slightly larger staterooms, but smaller balconies.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!!!!

Thanks for the reply! The ship for the southern caribbean cruise is the Adventure of the Seas, which is in the Voyager class I believe. Any knowledge of the comfortableness of the beds? (not a big concern, just curious). Thanks!

Adventure of the Seas actually has the larger of the Balcony staterooms, so you are in luck there. The Superior Balcony staterooms are 202sqft and the deluxe balcony staterooms are 173 sqft. All the the ships in their fleet are in the process of getting updated bedding and is suppose to be complete on all ships by May of 2007, so if you are traveling in July of 2007, you should have all new beds and bedding, which from what I hear is fabulous. You can check out some photos of the bedding on Freedom, which is the 1st ship to get it. New sheets, down comforters with duvets, new pillowtop type mattresses, new bed frames etc. Sounds like they are a lot like the Westin Heavenly Bed. Here is the link to some photos;

http://community.webshots.com/photo/549906967/2224841780087978241mMtmfU#

Also, Adventure is one of the older Voyager Class ships (but still newer by ship standards) and only has 1 of the specialty restaurants. They have Portofino, but not Chops Grille. They do, however, have Johnny Rockets for hamburgers and I believe they are usually open from lunch until about 1:00 am or so.

See if you can afford a Grand Suite. It is such a great room and comes with many perks that will make the week special for the two of you. dont forget to order flowers for your room when you make reservations. You can do this on line and will be a nice touch for the week since it is your honeymoon.

Even though this is the RCl board you seem to have your heart set on Tahati, so take a look at Regent's Paul Gaughin. If you can find a way to get there with frequent flier miles that might be just what you want.

Crusing the Caribbean in the summer can be a crap shoot because of the weather, especially if particular islands are important. July is early in hurricane season but you never know when they will appear.

Have fun whatever you select.

my mom and i did AOS for our 1st cruise.....we did the aruba route.

you are far south so you are more or less out of the hurricane belt.

you should be able to at least get a Junior suite within your budget. you also have air to SJU to figure in, and i would suggest going a day early if you can....although it may not be possible if the wedding is saturday.

the ship sails at 10 PM so if you got an early flight you should be ok.

there is a link in my sig......i have a bunch of pix of AOS.

the beds now are basically cots but i sleep like a baby. by the time you go all the ships should have the new beds, which appear to actually be beds!

I can't think of a better honeymoon in your price range than the southern Caribbean. All of the islands are so beautiful and romantic.

I would seriously look at getting an aft cabin. Cabins onboard ships are understandably small (you get used to it and the storage is laid out well), but having an aft cabin with a larger balcony, especially the corners, will make the cabin seem bigger with the drapes open.

The E1 balcony cabins on the corners are the best bargains. 7388, 7688, 8390, 8690, 9390 and 9690 are on the corner. 7388 and 7688 have the best balconies. These cabins are popular and go quickly. I would call Royal Caribbean and see if one is available for the date you want and put down a deposit. If you change your mind later, you can always get your deposit back if you cancel before final payment, usually 2 months out.

Another factor in the budget will be airfare to San Juan.

my mom and i did AOS for our 1st cruise.....we did the aruba route.

you are far south so you are more or less out of the hurricane belt.

you should be able to at least get a Junior suite within your budget. you also have air to SJU to figure in, and i would suggest going a day early if you can....although it may not be possible if the wedding is saturday.

the ship sails at 10 PM so if you got an early flight you should be ok.

there is a link in my sig......i have a bunch of pix of AOS.

the beds now are basically cots but i sleep like a baby. by the time you go all the ships should have the new beds, which appear to actually be beds!

I did a quick search and a junior suite isn't even remotely within his price budget!! a junior suite is $4500+ including insurance and a low priced balcony cabin is $3000 with insurance. Now add airfare (let's assume it's pretty cheap, since I have no idea where he's traveling from) $600 for 2 and he's already up to $3600, a night in a hotel.....+$100= $3700! Now, let's add excursions and drinks........my dh and I have a heavy bar tab, but even assuming they don't, a couple of excursions will run at least another $300....Now we're up to his budget of $4,000 and we haven't even added tips!!! Yes, it adds up quick!! Uhhh, do you have to pay for parking at the airport? Pay for your pet to be boarded?

Cruising in the summer is the height of the season......it's expensive!! I didn't check an eastern or western route in the summer, but you may want to keep your options open.

Good luck and bear in mind you'll probably get some spending cash as a wedding gift, so maybe you can make your budget a little more. :)

Thank you so much everyone! I can't believe how helpful and friendly everyone is, I think I could get used to this whole cruise thing! AOS is looking to be cutting it a bit close with my budget (although I like your thinking with using some of the wedding gift money..I knew there was a reason we were inviting 250 guests!! just kidding!!)

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, but then again..maybe it is..I've found Carnival's suite to be extremely affordable through *****.com ($2700 total, including port charges/taxes/etc., no airfare though of course). It would be on the Carnival Destiny ship with a very similar itinerary. I've heard some bad things about carnival ships though (not as entertaining, not as much to do, etc.) but that's quite a deal to pass up for a suite! Do any of you know much about that ship or the other Carnival ships and how they compare? Thanks again everyone!

P.S. - in case you were wondering, i'd be flying out of Columbus, OH (CMH).

My advice would be to just book the D1 balcony and forgo the suite for the first cruise. Believe me, my honeymoon cabin was an inside cabin and it was the best cruise of my life.

I think you would be happier with a lower priced balcony cabin on a Voyager class ship than booking a suite on a lower priced cruise line.

Cruising is the perfect honeymoon!! You get on board unpack your clothes, get to dress for dinner and wake up in a new place each day. Actually it is the perfect vacation for anytime.

There are many options to go on, just remember that you are sailing during hurricane season so you must be flexible. Europe or Alaska might be your best option.

I have actually been checking out europe and the itinerary's are wonderful, go to Rccl.com and check them out.

Sue

My husband's first cruise was on an older Carnival ship and since he didn't know the difference, he LOVED it. We would both still love it! ;) I think you will be happy with the Destiny, I did not find any difference between RCCL and Carnival as to things to do or entertainment. Many people will stick to just one line but I like them all for different reasons.

P.S. I would NOT keep a cruise a secret! Half the fun of a cruise is buying new cruise clothes!

>>>>I've been trying to plan a honeymoon for months….and wants it to be a secret from her until we leave (not sure if that's possible, but we're trying!)

I only see one problem with your plan. After January 1, 2007, you will both be required to have a passport. As of this date, there is about an eight-week delay between application and getting it back in the mail. The process requires that you make the application in person. If she does have a passport, but most people don’t, you have a shot. If not, she will have to be told and make an application more than two months before the trip to be sure the passport shows up. No passport, no trip and no travel insurance will cover this excuse for not getting on the ship.

Anything that doesn't kill you, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

Hi, I'd like to put my two cents in. I've been to Tahiti, and there is no comparison with anywhere else. Check out Air Tahiti Nui's specials; better yet, go to your travel agent and check with him/her about your options. I agree that if it were me, I'd go with Alaska at that time of year. . .but any cruise you take will be wonderful! After all, aren't you going with the most special person in your life?

Archived