nail polish & salt water question

rfoust

Hi,

My wife noticed one time that salt water destroys her nail polish in a hurry, so she's wondering if the spa manicures on RC ships use any type of special nail polish so that the salt water won't destroy it? It would be a waste of money for her to do the spa thing since we will be in salt water throughout the cruise on excursions if the salt water is just going to take it right off.

Thanks! :)

- Robbie

I don't know if they use anything special. I'm not even sure if they make such a thing. I do however know that many times, spa treatments are more complete than a simple home painting. It also depends on her nails, if they are natural or acrylic. I've noticed that my polish (natural nails) doesn't last as long in salt water as well, so I always bring a simple, light color and touch up as needed throughout the week. :)

I have acrylic nails & always have them done at home before I go with out any problems. What I do notice is the salt water turns both an American & French manicure yellow - the cream or white tips go yellow by my second day in the water, so I always just use a color & bring the bottle along for mini touch-ups. I'd ask a salon locally to you for more info.

I have found that it is the acetone in the sunscreen i used was what ruined my manicure. I get a gel nail manicure before i leave which is where the put a clear gel on your nails and u put them under a special light for a few minutes to harden. salt water or sunscreen doesn't bother them. they stay looking great for two weeks.

Her nails are natural. HokieMom1: Thats very interesting, I didn't realize sunscreen could have acetone in it. I'll have to check that.

Thanks for all the information! I'll pass it along. :)

I have acrylic nails & always have them done at home before I go with out any problems. What I do notice is the salt water turns both an American & French manicure yellow - the cream or white tips go yellow by my second day in the water, so I always just use a color & bring the bottle along for mini touch-ups. I'd ask a salon locally to you for more info.

I've noticed this, too. I guess going forward I will use a dark color on my toes and just buff my fingernails. I always get so self conscious on formal night with bright yellow toenails. :eek:

Hi,

My wife noticed one time that salt water destroys her nail polish in a hurry, so she's wondering if the spa manicures on RC ships use any type of special nail polish so that the salt water won't destroy it? It would be a waste of money for her to do the spa thing since we will be in salt water throughout the cruise on excursions if the salt water is just going to take it right off.

Thanks! :)

- Robbie

Hi Robbie, like the others here, I don't know of anything special that the RCI spa uses during manicures to prevent salt water damage.

FWIW I found the RCI manicures overpriced for the service provided. I did a manicure/pedicure for $120, and the woman doing my nails was neither careful nor efficient and grumbled the whole time to me about finally finishing her contract the next week. Hopefully others have had better experiences, but since that time I've gotten my nails done at home and did my own touch-ups during the cruise.

After 9 cruises, here's my solution. I still do a bright tropical color on the toes right before I leave. It will last. For hands, I have learned to do a very light glossy color. That way if it starts to chip or get eaten by the elements, it is not noticeable.

Go to a beauty supply house like Sally's or something similiar and get a good clear top coat, that should solve the problems.

I've tried three different top coats on our last three cruises and had the same problem. If anyone can recommend a top coat that doesn't turn yellow when used on bare nails or on a light nail color, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I just came back from a land vacation but still salt water, the Atlantic Ocean, while I didn't swim I did take walks on the beach and my feet were in the ocean water during those walks and my toes were fine (chanel bright red polish pedi done at my hometown spa), no difference or change in color nor were they ruined.

I can't comment on my hands as I didn't really get them in salt water, but I had a french mani and the sun screen never seems to bother it and I use a lot of sunscreen on my hands arms even for just going out locally shopping or whatever, but again always done at a spa. I use T.LeClerc for topcoat and french manis Chanel for toes(I always bring my own polish when having mani/pedis) as very often spas/salons don't use top quality products.

I agree that sometimes a spa mani/pedi, is better than an "at home" read: do it yourself job.

Hope this helps.

I think I may try the UV protector. I've also had this same problem with my nails turning yellow. I was actually even considering getting a solid color for my nails this time to avoid the yucky yellow look. I cant stand it. I do know that I will probably get a solid color for my toes b/c the sand scratches the french tip off.

Archived