Just Back: Windsurf June 25-July 2

plannergal

First cruise on Windstar line and Windsurf. Our family group ranged in age from 8 to 80 with 18, 20, 46, 49, 50, 52 and 77 inbetween. We all loved the entire experience. We occupied 4 suites which were wonderfully comfortable. The adjectives we would use to describe the experience--laid-back, unpretentious, uncrowded, easy going, totally comfortable. Really nice people of all ages. Great staff, excellent service; able to delight an 8 yr old and unobtrusive while doing all the right things. Food was excellent. Ports were the best. We planned our own excursions so cannot comment on the ship's shore excursions. Ports, after departing from Civitavecchia (Port for Rome) were Portoferraio in Elba; Portofino, Monte Carlo, St. Tropez, Marseilles, Sete, and ending in Barcelona (a great city in which we spent several days after the cruise). We had no air-conditioning problems which seems to be an ongoing discussion on this Board. To correct one error we encountered on the Board--laundry is not free for those occupying suites. We arrived with lots of it from our 4 days in Rome prior to the cruise.

Be prepared for hot weather and big crowds if you travel this time of year. We had no choice with 3 grandchildren attending schools, camps, summer sessions, etc. However, being able to return to the ship after a long day of sightseeing or beaches made up for all the crowds and heat.

This Board helped me greatly preparing for the trip so I would be happy to answer any questions (if I can) about Rome and Barcelona, the cruise and all ports along the way.

Thanks for your review. It makes our Windsurf cruise seem a little closer. We took our 15 and 16 year olds to Costa Rica last year and they loved it. The crew was wonderful and accomodating to their needs as well as ours.

I'm interested in shady deck space. Did you have time to relax on the deck? What spots did you enjoy?

Beth

Much of our family took advantage of the area around the pool for relaxing after long day in port. Youngest spent her time in the swimming pool while the others sunbathed. Lots of shady areas on deck with deck chairs for relaxing. Never crowded anywhere. I continue to be amazed at how 300 people can fade into the background. The only places where you knew there were people on the ship were the various dining areas, like the veranda and the restaurant. Since this cruise stops at such great Italian and French riviera ports, you might expect that the ship would be pretty empty during the day, every day. I would wonder what a transatlantic cruise would be like on the same ship.

Ev G

Hi Ev,

I am doing this exact itinerary starting September 1. I'm so excited that you did it! I'd love to hear everything about the ports, what there is to do, how easy it was to get around etc.

I have to go to Genoa from Portofino, which kind of makes me sad because I'd love to just hang out there and walk along the seawall road at least part way to Sta. Margharita. But please, tell us what you did; Portoferraio? Sete? Is it possible to go elsewhere from Sete?

Did you go to Aix en Provence?

I'm anxious to hear EVERYTHING!

Jana

If you have not been to these ports you will enjoy them all, depending on what your special interests are. I have a beach-loving family, so they took advantage of several beaches, including the local one in Portoferraio. They were the only English speakers but somehow managed to communicate. You will miss Portofino, a lovely place. Several members of my family did the walk to Sta Margharita. It is quite a trek, especially in the very hot weather we had for the entire week of our trip. But walking is still the best way to really see a place. The overnight in Monaco makes it possible to explore a full day of the area from Monaco to Cannes, with much inbetween. Advise either renting a car or securing a car and driver to cover that area, including Eze, St-Paul de Vence, Antibes, St. Jean Cap Ferrat, Antibes, Nice, etc. etc. We spent the least time in Monte Carlo since we were not interested in shopping or ogling the very rich. The yachts in the harbor are quite spectacular, however. We did go to Aix en Provence. My husband and I had been there several years ago in the off season very early spring. Wonderful. This time, so overcrowded, it was very disappointing for us. St. Tropez is strictly beach so my family took advantage of this and just loved it. A less hectic, relaxing day. My husband and I were amazed at the change in Marseilles--the fish market gone, and gentrification in its place. Too bad. But we still enjoyed tooling around the city in a tourist tram. Not too much to see or do in Sete. The ship'stour might be worth considering. Hope you are planning to spend some time in Barcelona--what a great city, in every respect. We all loved that place and plan to return since 2 days was not nearly enough to even scratch the surface.

Thank you, Planner. I was starting to get worried that you wouldn't answer!

I hope it will be cooler when I go but probably not much.

The last time I was in Marseille it was seedy and disreputable. So now it's "gentrified?" Wow! Did you go to Aix on your Marseille stop?

Any lunch spot recommendations?

Thanks again,

Jana

• 4 weeks later...

Jana - we've done this itinerary on Wind Surf several times in the last couple of years, most recently in May. I'd be glad to answer any questions I can if Plannergal does not reply. Also suggest that, if you haven't already, you do a search on this board of the ports you still need info about (I know I've posted info about Portoferraio in the past) and, if you don't find what you want here, try the Europe board

In Portoferraio, I highly recommend the ship's shorex to Mt. Capanne and the gelato.

I beg to differ with Plannergal re Sete when she said there's not much to see and do there. Of course it depends on what you like seeing and doing. We really enjoy visiting small places that aren't major North American tourist destinations and like exploring towns that are just carrying on their day to day business and seem oblivious to the presence of a cruise ship. (= One of the reasons we like Windstar itineraries.). Sete has several nice tree-lined squares, beautiful canals lined with cafes, great bakeries and a wonderful chocolate shop. When we've been there (3 times), the ships have always docked within a couple of blocks of the main street which makes it very convenient. Behind the town is Mont St-Clair (about 180m - really just big hill). We like walking, so if the weather is clear, we enjoy walking up to the top where there is a lookout with a great view. The tourist office is helpful and will tell you a circular route you can take, returning via pretty hillside houses and the Sailors' Cemetery.

This website has lots of info about Sete including a panoramic video tour that will give you a good idea of what it is like.

http://www.sete-cruise.com/

Hope this helps.

Oh my gosh, it sure does! I don't know if I can make it up the hill but I'll try, it sounds heavenly. (I have spinal stenosis, walk with a cane and drug up on ibuprofen to manage thse shore days. No sea days on this voyage and Sete is the last, Marseille the day before; betcha I'll be hurtin'!) The squares and the shops... heavenly!

OK, here's a big question... I plan to go to Aix en Provence from Marseille. I want to go to St. Paul de Vence and Eze - can I do that from St. Tropez? Or from Monaco, which is better?

Tell me more! Anything and everything. I am not terribly crazy about museums unless they are compelling for some reason, and like you, I prefer the smaller, out of the way places. (Grovery stroes are the best places to shop for souvenirs, IMO.) So tell me more, more, more! Please!

Jana

PS I'm traveling solo, in room 127, starboard. Does the ship get close enough as it goes along the coast to see land? Radisson Diamond did, on its last voyage... it got within a quarter mile of the coast of Spain, fabulous views.

Sorry Jana - I can't be of much assistance re your choice of trips from Marseille, St. Tropez and Monaco -> hopefully someone else will offer more help.

We've been to the 3 places above and found there was lots to see and do in each for the time we had there.

Have also been on ships shorexes to Aix from Marseille, and to Eze and St Paul de Vence from Monaco. Personally, I found Eze the most spectacular of the 3 and thought Aix was highly over-rated. It has an interesting little Old Town - but nothing more special than many, many other places in Southern France and Italy, though I'm sure other posters will disagree.

Have you been to any of these places before? Are you likely to return to any? If so, this could influence what you choose to do on this trip.

Have you searched these places on the Europe board? There's lots of info about going to Aix, Eze and St Paul de Vence there.

Also

- re Sete - considering your description the difficulty you have walking, I think you'd find it a bit to hard to walk up to the lookout at the top of Mont St-Clair, but IIRC, there is a little tourist train that loops through Sete and also goes up.

- re coastal cruising - unfortunately, we haven't known Wind Surf to sail as close to the coast as you obviously did on Radisson Diamond, except when entering/leaving harbours. Even when we cruised the Amalfi coast it was much further offshore.

Hi Jana,

I'm not an expert, but let me give it a try on your excursion to Eze and St Paul de Vence. We were on the Windsurf last year and hit both St. Tropez and Monaco. From all the research I did, those people considering Eze were doing it from Monaco. I believe that Monaco was a lot closer to Eze, but I could be wrong. However, that is just from my recollections as there was no way I was going to miss Monaco.

Have a fantastic trip!

Thank you both so much! I lived in northern France (Paris) and taught English in Eastern France (Besancon) but have not been to southern France in about [mumble mumble] years and that was a short, sweep-through visit.

I wish there were CC members on my cruise :( I'm going with a small group but I don't know anyone in it.

What I am most looking forward to is speaking French (rusty, rusty, rusty), having a real baguette and French butter, a cafe creme that makes my eyes cross and buying some French stationery for Christmas gifts. I'll want to do everything; I wish this were a 14 day cruise with a day between each port.

Thank you, all of you, very much.

Jana

Hi - can you remember what sort of things were on the menu please? I am a very fussy eater!

My WIND SURF review's dining page has links to sample menus for the main restaurant and the Bistro.

http://europeforvisitors.com/cruises/reviews/wind-surf-dining.htm

The restaurant menu changes daily over a period of several weeks, to avoid repetition during back-to-back cruises, but the Bistro sample menu should apply to any of the "steakhouse" nights (4 nights out of 7).

My WIND SURF review's dining page has links to sample menus for the main restaurant and the Bistro.

http://europeforvisitors.com/cruises/reviews/wind-surf-dining.htm

The restaurant menu changes daily over a period of several weeks, to avoid repetition during back-to-back cruises, but the Bistro sample menu should apply to any of the "steakhouse" nights (4 nights out of 7).

Thanks Signor John for your review and am honoured that your first post on CC should be in reply to my question! Think I'll find something to eat and tickets arrived today!

Nice to see you. I meant to ask, I am going to Roma, are there any clergy I can meet on your behalf? Perhaps one or two in Lido di Ostia?

Grazie!

Thanks, but my stay in Lido di Ostia was strictly secular. (I never saw a priest in 18 days at the Ospedale GB Grassi, which was just as well since I might have been discomfited if I'd woken up to find a guy a clerical collar smearing holy oil on my ankles.)

I apologize for the OT banter between Sir John and I. Durant and I have been good friends and colleagues for nearly 10 years. As you can see, he's an exceptional travel writer; I admire his work more than any other writer I know.

I'm one of Cruise Critic's writers. When I grow up, I want to be able to write as well as Durant does. That's my goal.

Jana

Archived