Single Supplement

deck chair

It is amazing to me that even at this late date with, according to Cunard Line's reservations office, several empty cabins remaining for the 7//24/06 eastbound transatlantic, that they still insist on a 200% single supplement. My friend, who wanted to go, simply can't afford that fare. Cunard just will not reduce the supplement no matter what. So a cabin that could have been occupied with one paying passenger will now most likely go empty. Does that make economic sense with cruise lines earnings taking a hit with higher fuel costs? Isn't one paying passenger better than none? It really makes you wonder about the mangement of Cunard. What gives? Any ideas?

Deck chair

Deck chair this is pretty much the same for all cruise lines, although they will occassionally take less. They always hold out hope for two. They just believe two people on board will spend more than one.

Yes, of course, July is the high season but the question remains: Why would Cunard not want to fill every available cabin at this late date even if it means reducing the single supplement? At this late point, 8 days out, just how many "couples" are going to show up to take the trip to fill up those empty cabins? Earnings are taking a hit because of higher fuel cost. CCL stock is sinking. it just makes business sense to me. Saying that "you snooze you lose" is cute but doesn't answer the question. Besides, not everyone can make plans months ahead of time. Thanks.

Deck chair.

Dear DeckChair ...

As a "newly single" passenger with some ten trips as a "double", at first I shared your feelings about the situation. And, as smeyer418 says, this is pretty standard across the industry. But let me share a recent experience.

After I 'gave up' all the reasoning and rhetoric and stopped feeling that the situation was discriminatory, I realized a simple fact: the "basic unit" of the cruise industry is the cabin not the passenger, even though brochures quote "per person" there is always the proviso "based on double occupancy." (Want proof? 3rd and 4th passengers in the same cabin usually pay much less than the first two ...)

So: instead of trying to find a single fare that was the same as 1/2 a brochure cabin fare, I started to talk with various internet brokers. Guess what? I found deals on both the QE2 and the QM2 ... in August (high season) and only 60 days before the trips where the "entire cabin" (that is including the 200% single supplement) was then discounted by about 40%. If my math is correct, that means that I'm paying only about 20% supplement over the single fare. (Example: $1000 x 2 = $2000 x 60% = $1,200). I can live with that. Especially since I get "twice the space" ... :) (Oh goody, a BIG bed!)

You really aren't trying to assist Cunard with a business plan ... you're really trying to find a reasonable cruise fare ... so turn your attention to that and I think you'll be surprised. Another hint: try to be as flexible as you can about where, when, and which line ... there are some great deals out there.

One other piece of advice: for years, I booked directly with the cruise line (including Cunard). Then a great travel agent took over for me. They did all the work; I didn't have to "hassle" with the line when things didn't go perfectly; and it doesn't cost any more, because the line pays the commission!

Further, the lines are smart enough to know that one passenger's dissatisfaction won't hurt them very much, but a travel agent's dissatisfaction might deny them many potential customers. The point? A good travel agent has more "leverage" than you do to obtain deals and discounts. Big brokers have lots of leverage!

Look about on the 'net. There are some really excellent cruise brokers out there and they will help you find something affordable.

Hope this helps,

YankeeClippr

Only when projected revenue is not achieved per sailing is the single supplement lowered.

The 7.24 sailing is being sold at full FIT pricing. Ergo, projected revenue has been met.

It isn't so much the actual cruise fare which hurts, it's the NCF which for a single is over $400.

FWIW I only know of one ta which had the single supplement lowered this year.

Only when projected revenue is not achieved per sailing is the single supplement lowered.

The 7.24 sailing is being sold at full FIT pricing. Ergo, projected revenue has been met.

It isn't so much the actual cruise fare which hurts, it's the NCF which for a single is over $400.

FWIW I only know of one ta which had the single supplement lowered this year.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is NCF?

I'm still 'learning' to spend this sort of money on holidays - I see a cruise I like to look of & the price seems ok, then I add the single supplement - and all of sudden it seems out of range, LOL. But if I want to go its got to be paid! On P+O (who I have cruised with for the past 2 years) the SS varies from 35% to 75% - but when it came to booking for this year a few weeks ago a lot had shot up to 100% - think I had better book next years soon!:D

Karen

My friend, who wanted to go, simply can't afford that fare. Cunard just will not reduce the supplement no matter what.

Would your friend consider sharing a cabin? Although they don't advertise it Cunard used to sell "half" cabins at no single supplement. Your friend might be lucky and find that the other half isn't taken or you both might make a new friend.

Archived