Back from Veendam

mare s.

Looking for all of your opinions on the Veendam. She sails out of Tampa later in the year and I am looking into sailing on her since I live about 25 minutes from the Port. How are the cabins? Is she updated? (i.e. furnishings, common areas, etc.) Thanks so much.

The Monk

On excursions...we booked them all through HAL, although on the land portion we had a couple of extra excursions because we were with a special group. My favorites were...in Sitka the Captains Choice wildlife quest, the Portage Glacier excursion, and the Riverboat Discovery in Fairbanks. The Captain's Choice (from Allen Marine) was incredible...partly because it's new and there were only six of us on the excursion and two naturalists. We took a small, fast (and kinda bumpy but fun) ride out into Sitka sound...saw otters and then cruised around a small island and went into a sea lava grotto...absolutely beautiful colors...then the boat pulled onto shore and we jumped out and had an hour to explore the beach and tide pools (with our naturalist) before we jumped back on board the boat and went whale watching (we found humpbacks really close to the boat). It was tremendous fun. Portage Glacier is awesome...and especially appreciated because you're on a small ship and can go very close up. The Riverboat Discovery is a bit touristy but the scenery is wonderful and the Indian village fascinating. The Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali is amazing (but rather long)...on our second day in Denali we just went hiking on our own. In Juneau we went to the Mendenhall Glacier and did the Salmon Bake (the food was wonderful and if you leave the immediate area there are beautiful hiking trails). In Ketchikan we did the canoe excursion...not terribly exciting but the chowder they served mid-trip was wonderful! Oh, another thing not to miss (and if you don't mind walking, you can do this on your own) is a visit to the Raptor Center in Sitka. You will absolutely love Alaska and the Veendam...if you get a chance, say hello to Jennifer Preston...one of the dancers in the Veendam production numbers...she's a friend of our daughter's and we had no idea she was working on the Veendam until we bumped into her!

You're the one! ;). I am cruising solo, Aug 22, and I am the only one on the ship too. I'll see what I can find out for you, when I am on board.

Marie

Great! Its too bad we are not on the same cruise. We could meet for High Tea. :)

Mare - Thanks so much for the review. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Just a few questions about the Veendam. Did you have any favorite lounges for before dinner drinks, etc?

How was the food and the service in the dining room?

Marie

Tinknock50 - Yes, it is too bad we are not on the same cruise. It would be fun to have another CC'er on board. As of now, I know NO ONE. My date is set, as I am cruising in Sept with my sis, 19-26.

Marie

Ok...just don't get too wild and rowdy so it takes more than a month to fix her up for when I go!

Ok...just don't get too wild and rowdy so it takes more than a month to fix her up for when I go!

There is NO wild and rowdy on HAL, you'll see, LOL, but that is one of the things I loved about HAL.

Wild and rowdy will be my sis and I on the Mariner in September. I am convinced I am going to come home feeling like I need a vacation, LOL.

Marie

What kind of band do they have at the pool. All of my other cruises have been on lines other than HAL and have all been in the Caribbean and bands playing that type of music. Since we will be on the Veendam to Hawaii, I was curious as to what type of band/music they had.

Archived