Tipping a private guide in St. Petersburg

RickT

My wife and I are taking a Red October tour in August. It's one of the most expensive shore excursions we've ever taken and have no clue what sort of tip should be given to the Guide/Driver.

Normally for a day trip we'd give the guide $10 and the driver $5. Based on the price (approx $250) this seems low. Using 10-15% seems better but a little high.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Sorry if this question has already been asked. I was sure I saw it earlier but could not find it when I just looked.

My wife and I are taking a Red October tour in August. It's one of the most expensive shore excursions we've ever taken and have no clue what sort of tip should be given to the Guide/Driver.

Normally for a day trip we'd give the guide $10 and the driver $5. Based on the price (approx $250) this seems low. Using 10-15% seems better but a little high.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Sorry if this question has already been asked. I was sure I saw it earlier but could not find it when I just looked.

I have seen this question before, and many people recommend 10% per person of the price, broken down with 70% for the guide and 30% for the driver. Hope this helps. It is what I plan to use with DenRus on the Aug. 26 cruise. :)

We did 2/3 to the guide and 1/3 to the driver....as a starting place. We tipped them a little more. They were so good. (St Petersburg)

Never once did we have to wait on the driver. He was always right there whenever we came out of a building, etc....

On occasion, we would see our Guide calling him on her cell, to make sure he knew we were getting ready to need to be picked up.

Archived