Crown Princess Incident

Nliedel

I can only imagine the complexities of the navigation systme and the responsibility that goes along with caring for 3,000+ passengers.

Quite less complex than one would imagine--to me it seems harder to navigate my son's XBox Controller!

But in a sense it is reassuring to me that it was human error--they can correct that with training and policy. At least there are not an unknown quantity of finicky auto pilots just waiting for the opportunity to pull a 360!

But, I also believe I read a report from the Coast Guard (or maybe attributed to the Coast Guard) that it was determined that the ship was indeed on auto pilot! Maybe a drunken junior officer lost his balance and landed on the wrong switch or joystick??

I guess I just wish to tell my version so folks will know that not everyone had as bad a time as some passengers. We wanted to finish the trip to NY!

Here's the story with photos:

http://mysite.verizon.net/don2738/cpreview.html

I am sorry for the folks that were so scared, hurt, etc. But most people were ok and I read a lot of exaggeration.

I'm sure I'd feel differently if my family had suffered.

Thanks for posting...seeing your review, with photos, I am excited about our cruise on 8/7.

Last night on our local news (Ch 7 out of Boston - an NBC affiliate, I think) they updated us with the news that it was human error that caused "the ship to tip on its side, causing injury to many of its 284 passengers!"

Almost a week and a half later, the news guys still don't know what they're talking about! Either that, or the teleprompt writer confused the Princess update story with the one in Alaska! We have DVR, so we rewound the news item & played it back a couple of times to be sure they were talking aobut the Princess list!

Sha

The president of Princess is pleased that no one was injured seriously. Excuse me! A nine year old with a severed artery; an elderly man with broken ribs and punctured lung...that is not serious?

]

Actually, he said he was grateful the injuries sustained were not life-threatening.

By the time the President issued the release all but one of the injured was released from the hospital and the one in the hospital had been fully evaluated. By that time none of the injures were life threatening. A banged foot could be life threatening if not treated but by the time of the release all had been treated and were on the way to recovery. I think we need to stop splitting hairs and move on. There was nothing misleading about the release. The fact that it left you with questions didn't mean it was misleading. I too woud like to know the specifics of what happened but that will have to wait.

• 2 weeks later...

No advertising, links to advertising sites etc. are permitted on Cruise Critic.. therefore any posts that solicit business, or link to a business (legal or otherwise) will be removed.. If it persists your posting privileges will be revoked.

I rest my case...

No advertising, links to advertising sites etc. are permitted on Cruise Critic.. therefore any posts that solicit business, or link to a business (legal or otherwise) will be removed.. If it persists your posting privileges will be revoked.

I rest my case...

Nancy (or Host Caroline)- what did I miss this time??

Archived