Crown Princess Incident

Nliedel

I have finally read all the pages

I am shocked that people will get upset over spelling errors I type at work and thank goodness for spell check

My heart goes out to everyone who was on that crusie thank God no one was fatally injured that I know of

I will still cruise but pray this will not happen to any one

Thanks for everyone's posts

I m glad you all got back on land safely

Yes there are lifejackets in other locations...wouldn't it be great if they told you that during muster. There are lockers/bins/etc., which in some cases are hard to identify.

Yes, they do tell as at muster drill there are lifejackets in other locations...I guess I wasn't clear on my statement, my apologies. The point I was trying to make was...they are hard to identify where exactly they are...Why not have a graphic that is clear to see as to the location of these valuable life savers...that's all?

Hi. Extra lifejackets are in marked lockers on the deck where the lifeboats will be when lowered for boarding. We have always been told that if there is an emergancy and we are not near our cabin, to go to our lifeboat station and get a lifejacket there.

i'm not sure about lifejackets for young children. You might want to ask when you board (any ship) to see if they are stored somewhere else.

I'm one of those that agrees that the lifeboat muster should take place at your lifeboat station, not inside. Then you know where to go and can check out the extra lifejackets at the same time. If the situation happens where you must go to a muster station, you aren't going to care about the weather, or the crowds (that will not be orderly). You want to find your lifeboat and get in it - period.

The incident on the Crown is a perfect example. Suppose the ship kept listing. Would you want to go to the theater or whatever inside muster place was designated, or would you want to be outside at the lifeboats?

Hope that helped.

About Gregg. Poor guy is horribly misguided when it comes to Politics, but other than that he is a delightful fellow who has devoted himself to raising his, very well behaved and delightful son. I've never met a conservative that I found so nice and well mannered.

I also found his comments about the suite to be right on.

Do I think he's perfect? I've already addressed that in the first paragraph. Would I eat dinner with him? Heck we did it twice and I was not offended in the least. For someone with such a strikingly different world view I thought he was quite well behaved. I'd sail with him again anytime. I suspect he and my husband would get along well (same business), even tho Gene would have to forgive him the politics too :)

Nancy, speaking as a polite, hopefully nice, conservative;) , I would never even consider someone's political views in order to have dinner with them. Our country is far too polarized as it is and I can remember a time years ago where you didn't even know someone's political views when you socialized with them. And even if you did, you simply didn't discuss it. It should have stayed that way.

While you may not agree with someone's views, to call them "horribly misguided" seems insulting. I think it's unfortunate that you feel there needs to be forgiveness involved when it comes to an individual's beliefs in how our country should move forward hopefully all with the same eventual goal. While it's obvious that you and I would certainly not agree, I would most certainly respect your opinions. If everyone would do that, this country would be in a much better place right now. Sadly, it is not.

I apologize for being OT, but it's JMO. I'll now retreat to my regular stoming ground. Happy cruising, everyone.

Nancy, speaking as a polite, hopefully nice, conservative;) , I would never even consider someone's political views in order to have dinner with them. Our country is far too polarized as it is and I can remember a time years ago where you didn't even know someone's political views when you socialized with them. And even if you did, you simply didn't discuss it. It should have stayed that way.

While you may not agree with someone's views, to call them "horribly misguided" seems insulting. I think it's unfortunate that you feel there needs to be forgiveness involved when it comes to an individual's beliefs in how our country should move forward hopefully all with the same eventual goal. While it's obvious that you and I would certainly not agree, I would most certainly respect your opinions. If everyone would do that, this country would be in a much better place right now. Sadly, it is not.

I apologize for being OT, but it's JMO. I'll now retreat to my regular stoming ground. Happy cruising, everyone.

Very well Put:D But i am a Conservative Too:eek:

Heather I think you are missing that I was teasing Gregg. It was not meant in any way as an insult and do not beleive Gregg would take it that way. We got on very well and never once discussed politics of any kind. I am deeply sorry you were offended in any way by my comments. They were most certainly not meant that way at all.

I repsect Gregg and his opinions as I do for most people. I am sorry my joke so upset you and others.

Heather I think you are missing that I was teasing Gregg. It was not meant in any way as an insult and do not beleive Gregg would take it that way. We got on very well and never once discussed politics of any kind. I am deeply sorry you were offended in any way by my comments. They were most certainly not meant that way at all.

I repsect Gregg and his opinions as I do for most people. I am sorry my joke so upset you and others.

Nancy, I apologize then:) . I didn't know you were teasing. That's the problem with these boards sometimes ... just words on a page! So not to worry!

I do not know if its been posted here or not so I apologize that if this is a duplicate post..according to Fridays edition of the NY Daily News aprroxiamatly 20 couples have initiated a law suit against Princess.

Here is a link to an abstract of the article

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/nydailynews/1081093871.html?did=1081093871&FMT=ABS&FMTS=FT&date=Jul+21%2C+2006&author=ELIZABETH+HAYS+and+LEO+STANDORA+DAILY+NEWS+STAFF+WRITERS&pub=New+York+Daily+News&desc=FAMILIES+PLAN+SUIT+OVER+TIPPY+SHIP

If you want to take the stability discussion one step higher on the techie details, you might enjoy

http://www.marinefirefighting.com/Pages/Newsletters/Newsletter6.htm

this one has pictures, and goes the next step of beginning to discuss metacenter (the REAL key to this whole deal is metacentric height) and the effects of weight shifts.

Curiously the discussion is prompted by the issue of firefighting water on a ship as a potential shifting weight high in the ship.

I'm sure if you go back and read the entire thread and pay close attention to nliedel's writing style throughout you'll realize that she was most definitely kidding with that comment. I chuckled when I read it. I think sometimes those of us with a dry sense of humour forget that not everyone gets us.:D

I'm sure if you go back and read the entire thread and pay close attention to nliedel's writing style throughout you'll realize that she was most definitely kidding with that comment. I chuckled when I read it. I think sometimes those of us with a dry sense of humour forget that not everyone gets us.:D

MS, you may have missed my apology to Nancy just above. I did read this entire thread and have thoroughly enjoyed all of Nancy's posts. My humor is so dry that I'm used to being misunderstood all the time:). The only problem with dry humor is on these boards where, as I said, it's just words on a page.

Anyway, I'm going to just chalk this one up to oversensitivity on my part!:D

They were trying to clean up an unsafe mess -- glass, debris, obstructions. Should they have let these things be and waited for someone to injure themselves unnecessarily? My answer is 'no.'

I agree entirely. That is what they have been trained to do, and their job is to get everything back and secure so it doesn't hurt someone. I am sure that they would not neglect someone who needed help, and they didn't run for cover for themselves? So what should they have been doing?

Let's face it, no matter what the captain or crew did, no matter which decisions were made, there would be an "expert" on this board to criticize it. They were in a lose-lose situation from the moment the list occurred.

Well I think that article written by the Houston passenger who led readers to believe their cruise had been cancelled and then goes on to discuss his opinions of safety are insane! His cruise was not cancelled. He had a choice and it was HIS choice not to go. I get that he might not have wanted a 7 day cruise but he never even mentions that he had options in the matter. Just like a video on a site where they were discussing the cruise that left on Saturday and a quick display shows a 30 degree list but then goes on to discuss that it was a 15 degree list. Get it right!

So glad the crew was cleaning the blood and the glass! Good for them! It's what I would expect them to do.

Heather, we're all good. I just was mortified that anyone was hurt by what I said. That is never my intention!

ML. Of course EVERYONE *gets* my sense of humor! Kidding!!!!

Let's face it, no matter what the captain or crew did, no matter which decisions were made, there would be an "expert" on this board to criticize it. They were in a lose-lose situation from the moment the list occurred.

Thank you, thank you, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Marilyn

Well I think that article written by the Houston passenger who led readers to believe their cruise had been cancelled and then goes on to discuss his opinions of safety are insane! His cruise was not cancelled. He had a choice and it was HIS choice not to go. I get that he might not have wanted a 7 day cruise but he never even mentions that he had options in the matter. Just like a video on a site where they were discussing the cruise that left on Saturday and a quick display shows a 30 degree list but then goes on to discuss that it was a 15 degree list. Get it right!

Excellent point!!

"I'm one of those that agrees that the lifeboat muster should take place at your lifeboat station, not inside. Then you know where to go and can check out the extra lifejackets at the same time. If the situation happens where you must go to a muster station, you aren't going to care about the weather, or the crowds (that will not be orderly). You want to find your lifeboat and get in it - period."

I disagree--

a) Depending on the problem, some lifeboats may be unable to be used. You would show up where you could not get off the ship

b) An emergency that requires a muster may not lead to the need to abondon ship. It may take a long time to determine if that is necessary.

c) It is easier to locate family in a muster station than in the small crwoded area on deck near a particular lifeboat. Do you really want a child to search for a parent outside on deck?

Better to be in the muster area where, if necessary, the crew can lead you to the proper place to board a lifeboat.

The author of that article is the travel editor for the newspaper.

The author of that article is the travel editor for the newspaper.

That's correct. And the inaccurate complaint on this board that his column misled readers is exactly that ... another inaccurate complaint by a CC member. :rolleyes:

The Houston column says:

"Passengers on our voyage — which Princess hoped to operate in a delayed, abbreviated form — were offered refunds. We were able to cancel pre-cruise lodging in New York without penalty."

Hardly misleading. If you want misleading, call Carnival's p.r. people when this kind of messy situation strikes (and it hits Carnival plenty often).

Also, folks missed a key point from the Connecticut passenger: She said crew were ignoring passengers while cleaning up debris. That's very different than saying they were simply cleaning up debris. (And her statement that crew members tried to block passengers from photographing the scene is extremely troubling. But it wouldn't surprise me.)

Thanks, Nancy:) .

I agree with Escape. When I saw that post by DNC above about the Houston Chronicle piece I wondered about it because when I read it I didn't feel I was misled at all. I thought he was very clear. He decided to cancel. He never suggested the cruise was canceled that I saw.

20% of the passengers on the next cruise canceled for whatever reason. I would have canceled (and rebooked for a later sailing) because I'm just silly that way. It's a psychological thing.

It's interesting that I posed a "what if" scenario with a poll on our HAL board asking what would everyone do in this situation and almost everyone is saying they had packed their bags and they would go! The few who voted they would cancel didn't post.

I would not cancel, but I would certainly want to know exactly what happened and why, and what steps would be taken to prevent a recurrence. An auto-pilot with a mind of its own is not a handy thing to have.

Archived