Binoculars

Rallo

In the packing list that someone has put together and posted on this site, binoculars are mentioned as an item not to forget to pack. Just wondering if it is really worth taking a pair of binoculars. With all the other extra stuff I'll be packing, like snorkelling gear, space will be limited. Would be interested in past cruisers opinions on this please.:)

I have a small pair of binoculars that I take with me. Mine are about the size of camera and slip into my bag very easily. They are handy when sitting on deck at the islands for my Nan to watch the tenders going back and forth and catch a glimpse of what is happening on the island. They often get dragged out for someone to see something.

Mine are just a little pair but are surprisingly powerful. I think the smaller they are the better as you are more likely to actually have them with you when you want them.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

I think the smaller they are the better as you are more likely to actually have them with you when you want them.Cheers,

Chaz:)

They also come in very handy when you are on deck and spot whales or dolphins. Even sea birds are fascinating to watch through binoculars.

I always have a mini pair on my belt and a larger pair in my cabin in case we get anything interesting (such as a US Navy carrier on exercise moored up about a mile away last year).

Came in very useful a few years ago. I was on a seabourn ship and we were sailing up the Thames going in to London. I stay with my mother when I am at home on leave and she lives very close to the river. I have a little office there with a very nice PC in it (where I am typing from now) which Mum likes to use even though I bought her a PC of her own to stop me coming home and finding my computer full of viruses and spyware. I took my large pair of binoculars up to the top deck, managed to find Mum's house then called her using my cellphone to ask her to stop using my computer and not to deny it as I could quite clearly see her on it through the window !!!

I( would certainly say yes, take them as you will use them a lot but be prepared to have other passengers constantly ask you if they can have a look through them. Every single time I get to use them someone wants to borrow them which is why I normally find a nice secluded place such as the crew deck before I get them out.

Great story, Heads. :D

We always take binoculars too. We were up on deck cruising up to Mystery Island and saw a canoe overturn in the distance. To everyone else it was a black spot. We then watched as the Islanders all tried to right it and rescue the 'goods'.

My husband is the sort of person who takes everything like that. He has a GPS and blu-tacked a nautical map of the South Pacific to the wall of our cabin and tracked our course throughout the cruise. :rolleyes:

He was stoked to see the same map pinned on the wall in the bridge.

Jenny

>^..^<

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will certainly take ours if I can fit them in - I suppose Hubby will have space, guys never seem to need as much as us females!!:D

- I suppose Hubby will have space, guys never seem to need as much as us females!!:D

Well I married the wrong man didn't I?:eek: My hubby alwasys packs more than me:D

Karen

You and me both, Karen. Note the bit about in my earlier post about the map GPS and binoculars etc. My other half takes EVERYTHING!!! Laptop, cables, external drive, GPS, pens and ruler, map, big binoculars, small binoculars, digital camera, underwater digital camera, video camera, power board for all of the above, etc, etc..........:D

He is also diabetic so took along a carton of diabetic soft drink (in case they had none onboard).

I had one suitcase, he had three. (ok......one big, two small)

I must also add that our cruise was so recent (last month) that I am consuming some of our duty free tonight. :) :) I have also been making up a photo album of our entire cruise to bore our rellies at the family BBQ day tomorrow. :D

Jenny

>^..^<

Archived