Fanny packs & security purses

Part of my question is about security purses too.

They are very attractive and don't look any different. I think I did a search on travel security and found a company that specialized in security for business travelers.

In answer to your question, yes I have seen them and I think they are a much better option instead of the fanny pack.

Here is another style you might not have seen.

lb116_dt.jpg

Vertical Security Purse

shim.gif

The new larger Vertical Security Purse gives you more space for your travel essentials without sacrificing compactness. It has the same great features that have always made it so popular with our customers - a slim, attractive design, roomy main compartment, key holder, back slot pocket, two angled zippered pockets, and a steel cable shoulder strap for an extra dose of security. But now it's just a tad larger to make it even easier to access the necessities. Made of durable top quality microfiber, it's lightweight, fashionable, and will keep you traveling in style and security. (10 x 8 x 2"; 11 oz Comes in Navy, red,taupe, black, brown.

Also comes in leather

1altLB116_t.jpg

You can find these type at :

http://www.magellans.com/store/Games___Gifts___Gifts_Under__50LB116?Args=#

To me, they are a much better, hands free option for those who are opposed to a backpack type or larger messenger bag.

( I will leave the fanny pack option out of this response.:rolleyes: )

The fact that they come in a variety of colors is a bonus as well.

• 4 months later...

Probably....but so does my cruiseline t-shirt, visor, and beach towel! The fact that I'm on a cruise sponsored excursion and I carry bags of souvenirs towards the cruise dock is probably another give away! :) Not only do I use a fanny pack, I asked for one for Christmas. We had an early xmas this past weekend and I got one. However, it's called a "Revelation Jansport WAIST Pack." Phew - now I can use it and not feel so geekie!! It comes in black, silver, and purple. Also holds a bottle of water - I LOVE IT! :)

I love my 2 travelon purses that I got from QVC. I wear them across my body so I can keep my hands free. The straps are an inch and a half wide so not real easy to cut without stabbing me in the back. In the time it could take to cut through it I could do some serious damage with my cane. But force of habit still has me putting my money in my back pocket.

then I suggest avoiding either a fanny pack, backpack, or a purse, at least for any valuables.

My ex-husband (who is a very street-savvy New Yorker) almost had his fanny pack cut off of him by street gypsies on the Spanish Steps in Rome before he even knew what was happening. What's worse, they had also half-unzipped one of the "security" compartments. I am convinced he was targeted BECAUSE he looked like a tourist (jeans, tennis shoes, fanny pack).

Many fanny packs are easy to unbuckle or unzip, so just having a security wire won't make it safe.

I am also very careful and I had my wallet lifted out of my purse in Barcelona this year. The purse was a zip-top shoulder bag that I had my hand on almost all day. The one time I didn't was when I stopped for an ice-cream, and I'm convinced that's when it happened. I didn't feel a thing, and whoever stole it even zipped the purse back up so that I didn't realize it was gone until I got to the museum.

I would NEVER use a backpack; I just don't know how you could tell if someone was pickpocketing you. They are very practiced and smooth, you can't feel a thing, and if you can't see....

For valuables, I suggest you follow what most travel sites recommend:

• Leave your passport onboard in your room safe (or in your hotel room safe); take a copy with you
  • Leave any credit cards you won't be using on the trip (e.g., store credit cards) at home
  • Keep any valuables secured in a money belt or pouch that is secured UNDER your clothing; you should limit these to whatever cash you need for the day, a credit card and/or an ATM card, and identification
  • Don't be obvious about accessing your money or credit card
  • Don't flash large amounts of cash around
  • Don't be shy about raising a ruckus if you find yourself surrounded by street gypsies
  • Be very vigilant when you are in high traffic areas where someone can easily bump or brush up against you
  • Stash in your suitcase a piece of paper with all your credit card numbers and the numbers to call (which may be different when you are outside the US, as toll-free numbers and collect numbers cannot always be used) if your card is lost or stolen

Trust me, it's no fun to spend the day at the police station and on the phone (cancelling credit cards) when you'd planned a lovely day of sightseeing. Be safe, not sorry!

I will wear my fanny pac whenever I leave the ship. It is the most practical way to carry important things and keep them close to me. I don't care what anyone thinks. I like to look nice and consider myself smart looking. A fanny pac does not make me feel silly at all. I do wish I could find a hot pink one tho. LOL I am a tourist and so are most of the other 3,499 ppl on board or at port. I'm on vacation and feel "Nobody knows me, Nobody cares!!"

I'm neither pro- or anti- fanny-packs, but I don't think they're any safer than a traditional purse. Pick-pockets are VERY GOOD at what they do, and they can either get into your fanny pack or cut the waist-band and get away with the whole thing. Or they'll cut the fanny pack material and take the wallet -- that's what scares me most: thinking that someone might have a knife that close to my body.

It's better to have your money, credit cards, and identification on your person. Tuck these things deep into a front pocket. Put a rubber band around them so they're harder to get out of your pocket.

Just thought I would add, have used fanny packs..found them uncomfortable for me, and have never had anything stolen from me or pick-pocketed ever. Having said that, I always use a little carrier in my bra, for what I need to travel with just to be safe. A little trick I learned from my mother!

There has sure been a lot of responses to my question! Part of my question is about security purses too. There are fanny packs and purses that are made to discourage thieves. The handles and belts/straps have a steel cord through them and the seams are stronger. Evidently it is common to "slash" and run by cutting the strap and grabbing the purse. They are very attractive and don't look any different. I think I did a search on travel security and found a company that specialized in security for business travelers.
This style of purse /fanny pack will prevent the thief from slashing the strap, but it won't do a thing to prevent him from slashing the material itself -- that's a very common ploy.

The safest thing to do is to keep your valuables physically on your person. Use your purse /fanny pack only for sunscreen and brochures -- things that you wouldn't be devestated to lose.

OK-- I just returned from our first cruise ever---- WHAT A BLAST!!!!

I have learned my lesson, I will never take a bag..fanny or other wise on an excursion again. I tried it on our first two outtings from the ship. I found myself lugging WAAAAAy too much crap. I got tired and cranky! and sore muscles. After that I placed my sea pass card and ID either in my DH wallet and stuck with him. Or I put it in my (should I admit it) bra/swim top:o . No, my girls are not large but the sea pass card and ID are plastic and stick to skin rather well. I also won a free water proof wallet keeper. It is plastic and has a cord, so I could put money, sea pass card, ID card and some $ in it with chap-stick. hung it around my neck and I was good to go. When you make purchases the stores give you bags. In Labadee they give you free hand woven straw bags when you buy their goods. Both make great keep sakes. IMHO :D

I fully intend to bring my "fanny pak" why do they call it that anyway? you dont wear it on your fanny? I want to be hands free the minute I get off the ship. I dont trust somthing hanging around my neck, it could loosen & fall and be lost before I notice or worse it could be yanked off by someone walking or running by (and there goes my money,credit card & key card) no thanks...now I am a newbie and its true the girls in my group may try to discourage me...but I intend to give a good fight.LOL just wanted to share....

First Cruise......ncl Dawn Jan.18th

Having the freedom to move around without having something on my back or digging into my shoulder is wonderful. My fanny pack, I'll wear it in the front or side, also has a holder for a water bottle. That way if I get thirsty on the islands, and I always do, I'll have "safe" water with me from the ship. You can get really cute, colorful ones now - bright pinks, blues, reds, floral, etc. You go girl! :)

I have this security bag (in black). I really like it, it is very lightweight and makes it easy to organize things.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1848&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C292%2C327&iProductID=1848&sortBy=0

We also often carry an LLBean tote bag with a zip top (you can go on their website and customize it with the color combo you want, and monogram if you want). It is very convenient to throw little things in there, your camera, maps, guidebooks, water, little things you buy along the way. My husband will carry it, and yes, I sometimes put my purse in there! (he is a sweetie).

• 2 weeks later...

Several people mentioned the Baggallini wallet pack and I have just one caveat. It is designed to slide on to your belt to wear like a fanny pack. However since you will need to put it through security when getting back on the ship each day you will find yourself undoing your belt and practically undressing to remove it. It can be rather annoying. I ended up just wearing it across my chest but I agree the strap can be somewhat uncomfortable. I tried a backpack in Alaska but spent a lot of time worrying that someone could be sticking their hand in. Those of you that use one of those money belts under your clothes-how do you manage to remove your cash or credit card without being obvious or indecent? I like the convenience of a fanny pack but I know they are just not the thing especially traveling internationally. I'm still looking for the perfect bag.

St. Louis Sal

I really like the healthy back bag in the mini size from LLBean. It holds more than would seem and you can wear it across the body, on one shoulder, or even as the dreaded fanny bag! I should also mention that there is what appears to be the same baf for sale at my local AAA office for $6.00 less. $19.00 from LLBean. Comes in lots of colors and nylon or leather. Hope this helps:rolleyes:

Archived