Half Moon Cay clamshells

GAJE

Someone mentioned clamshells recently. I think I remember about a $9/day rental. What is this "clamshell"? Does it accomodate one person or two?

Is there an area out of the direct sun but still in the beach area for refuge after a few hours in the sun? Thanks!

Naive and inexperienced caribbean cruiser, Betty

:)

The clam shells are like a half tent structure. The present rental fee is $9 for the entire day. They accommodate 2 people - there are 2 lounge chairs under each clam shell. There are quite a few of them along the entire beach and they are handy to the water. You can pull the lounge chairs out into the sun or keep them in the shade.

When you get on the ship they will be listed on the Half Moon Cay excursion form.

If you want one, you should reserve yours through the Shore Excursion Office before you get to HMC. They are usually all reserved by the time we arrive at the Island.

When there are 2 ships scheduled on the same day, the clam shells are gone by the time you get there.

On our last cruise in March, very few of the clam shells were rented.

After a couple of hours we noticed several couples just putting their towels and other items on the loungers under the clam shells. Some were approached and asked to pay for them while others weren't.

Reserve through Ships Services at HAL or at the Shore Excursion Office as soon as you get on board. We were at Half Moon Cay three weeks ago and were successful in booking for one the first day on board. They are great. Have a good cruise.Many people waited and were disappointed.

We have a great picture of the clamshells from our June 12 Zuiderdam cruise. If you want to see one, go to:

http://gallery.scrapboxlabs.com/zuiderdam?page=6

They are the royal blue objects in the picture on the top right.

My hubby sunburns easily, even with high level sunscreens, so these were great and I was able to stay at HMC much longer with one than previously without one.

Archived