QE 2 Information

maxor6

:) Planning on making my first extended cruise on the QM 2 and would like to find some sources to get feedback on what to expect and suggestions to consider in my pre cruise planning.

I am currently assigned a single MI 4086 cabin (4th deck) Good or poor location?

Traveling solo, asked for 8 person table--suggestions?

Comments from experienced QE 2 travelers are appreciated,

Thanks!

:) Planning on making my first extended cruise on the QM 2 and would like to find some sources to get feedback on what to expect and suggestions to consider in my pre cruise planning.

I am currently assigned a single MI 4086 cabin (4th deck) Good or poor location?

Thanks!

Hi Max, you've posted for QE2 info and in the 1st line refer to QM2. M1 4086 sounds like QE, but can you clarify please?

Well, MI cabins only exist on QE2 so I guess that is what you mean :) .

It is a fine location - just be aware that MI cabins are very small.

You are very close to the D Stairway which serves most of the decks, but to catch a lift you'd have to walk up one deck to Three Deck first, since they do not go down to Four Deck.

If you walk a little further aft you will come to E Stair which also serves most decks and has four lifts (the most of any stairway on the ship) which do serve Four Deck.

I am assuming you do mean QE2.

I've stayed in cabin 4099 before. We had no issues with noise/vibration/movement there.

However the cabins on the centre line can be noisier on 4 deck as this is where all the air conditioning equipiment is on the deck above. A quick check of the plans suggests cabin 4086 only has store rooms / offices above it (although it is always possible this has changed over the years).

The single cabins are fairly small, of course, but are cleverly designed to pack a lot of space in to a small area.

When you get back, give us a run down of how the cabin works out as far as the noise thing goes, it is always good for the rest of to know.

A large table for dinner is a good idea, a great way of meetting people.

Have you cruised before?

:o Sorry about that!

Yes, I did mean QE2.

Doug, it does look like I need to do my homework on the QE2. When I booked, I was offered 3002 but because it was at the very front of the ship, I was concerned about ship movement and felt a more ship center location would be better. (90 days is a long time at sea)

I do understand that the cabin is small. Traveling solo, I don't need a lot of room and was trying to get the least expensive accommodation for the entire world cruise. As I spend most of my time out and about, I felt that the cabin would suffice. Should I reconsider or are there other more desirable options?

I truly appreciate all suggestions and advice from experienced QE2 cruisers

Probably a good choice to take 4086 over 3002, it is larger at 86 square foot and will have less movement.

The QE2 can take bit of research but by the time you get of the ship, you will know as much about the old girl as the rest of us.

You will find that there are a good number of people who do every world cruise, by the time you leave the ship you will know these people well. If you are on the transatlantic at the start of the world cruise you will meet a few folk from this board, they will show you the ship and let you in on her secrets.

:)

Thanks!

Did the first leg of the 2006 world cruis solo and loved it. I asked for and received a table for wight. There were three couples and myself. We all decided to arrive for dinner at 7 PM (Caronia) and most evenings closed the dining room. Lots of great conversation. Same for the other meals. I ate all my meals in the dining room. Only used the lido for an occasional midnight snack. You will love the ship and the people.

I just got my 2008 brochure today and have penciled in the full world cruise.

There are some MI cabins on One, Two and Three Decks that were originally first-class inside singles. They connected to the adjacent outside doubles and were originally intended for butlers, nannies, etc.

Because they are conveniently located and also because they have nicer decor and furnishings (as former first-class rather than tourist-class cabins), I would say these are the nicest MI cabins on the ship.

Here are the numbers and sizes of these cabins:

One Deck:

1004 - 96 sq ft

1005 - 96

1010 - 100

1011 - 100

1080 - 92

1083 - 92

1098 - 90

1101 - 90

Two Deck:

2048 - 91 sq ft

2049 - 91

2103 - 91

2110 - 91

Three Deck:

3047 - 88 sq ft

3050 - 88

3053 - 88

3058 - 88

3065 - 88

3068 - 88

3135 - 88

3138 - 88

As I said, I would rate those as the best MI cabins.

After those, I would say a Four Deck cabin would be the best choice. I guess 4086 is as good as any other.

I would not recommend 3002; it is the furthest forward passenger cabin on the ship and you will likely get a very rough ride in poor weather.

There is a well-kept secret. Only 1 of the inside cabins has a tub, and I believe it is a single. I am not at home right now and do not access to my detailed plans, but I will look it up later today and repost.

It looks like 2130. The more modern plans show it as having a bath although the most recent brochure indicates a shower only. The more modern plans aren't always that accurate - for example there are two cabins with the number 2107, cabin 2049 is shown with a bath instead of a dressing table. Are there any other mistakes?

It looks like 2130. The more modern plans show it as having a bath although the most recent brochure indicates a shower only. The more modern plans aren't always that accurate - for example there are two cabins with the number 2107, cabin 2049 is shown with a bath instead of a dressing table. Are there any other mistakes?

pnmrk

1002 appears to have no door to the outside world (you have to go through 1006 to get to get in).

1002 appears to have no door to the outside world (you have to go through 1006 to get to get in).

Not on my copy:confused: Although you do have to go out into the corridor to get to the bathroom!

:) Thanks for all the great input! My head is spinning but your information is very helpful and appreciated.

Doug (or anyone else in the know) How do I go about getting a better single room location? I didn't go through a TA but went directly to Cunard. Mistake? Advice and recommendations appreciated.

It would appear that there is a strong class system regarding dining. I don't have any problems with that but do those same barriers extend over to other cruise activities? In particular, those activities for those of us doing the entire world cruise?

Max

:) Thanks for all the great input! My head is spinning but your information is very helpful and appreciated.

It would appear that there is a strong class system regarding dining. I don't have any problems with that but do those same barriers extend over to other cruise activities? In particular, those activities for those of us doing the entire world cruise?

Max

Max, the class system is a big perception problem :confused: with a lot of people not familiar with Cunard. In the old days of transatlantic travel - we're talking prior to the cruise generation of the 1960's and 70's - ships usually had a class system with either two or three classes. In fact, the QE2 was the last of the ships built specifically for a class system when it make its debut. In those old days you actually had sections of ships specifically set aside from those in the other classes and thus there was a true separation of people.

The class system of today's Cunard is truly more akin to the different levels of a high end hotel or business vs. economy on an airline or railway. Except it truly only applies to what type of accomodation you selected and its tied into your dining experience. Otherwise, almost everything else on the ships - even the QE2 - is open to everyone no matter if they have an inside cabin on the lowest level or a suite at the top of the ship. Thus you cannot argue there is a true class system when somone in a Queen Grill accomodation mixes with Mauretania passengers in the same shops or swims in the same pool. They all enter and exit through the same doors and see the same entertainment.

The Queen and Princess Grill level passengers obviously have the highest end accomodations and have separate dining experiences from the masses. But thats it.

So I wouldn't fret about a class system. No one is going to snub you and you'll enjoy all of the ship except for one or two rooms. There's a section of Cunarders on the boards who like to jokingly refer to the masses who don't do the Grill accomodations as "steerage" class :eek: but ignore it. Its ususally meant in fun. The reality is that a Coronia or Mauretania passenger on the QE2 is likely to have a very similar experience to any cruise experience on any other line. Just maybe slightly nicer since it is Cunard and the QE2 after all. I guarantee gruel is not served anywhere.:)

So enjoy. You simply cannot go wrong with anything you select.

David

Doug (or anyone else in the know) How do I go about getting a better single room location? I didn't go through a TA but went directly to Cunard. Mistake? Advice and recommendations appreciated.

Give Cunard a ring and ask to be moved, if you're so inclined.

You should be able to tell them your "wish list" of cabin numbers and see if any of them are open.

I think 1010 and 1011 are the best single insides on the ship; if one is open, grab it!

That said, I personally always recommend using a good travel agent. If you have any problems, he or she can be invaluable.

It would appear that there is a strong class system regarding dining. I don't have any problems with that but do those same barriers extend over to other cruise activities?

Not usually. The only space, other than restaurants, reserved exclusively for Grill passengers (Q and P grade cabins) is the Queens Grill Lounge. On the World Cruise, the Boardroom is reserved just for full cruise passengers, so you'll have access to that even though Grill passengers on segments don't ;) !

I should note, owever, that the Captain's Cocktail Party has to be divided up due to the number of passengers. If I recall correctly, there is one for Mauretania early sitting, one for Mauretania late sitting, one for Caronia and one for the Grills.

Not on my copy:confused: Although you do have to go out into the corridor to get to the bathroom!

pnhmrk

Yes, the proper, real, deck plans show the corridor leading past the bathroom of 1002 and then through another door, past cabin 1004 before the door into the main port fore/aft passageway. However "The more modern plans show...." All the Cunard deck plans I have going back to the early 90's show no way into 1002 except through 1006! As you asked "Are there any other mistakes" and were refering to "modern plans" which I took to mean modern plans, not those from 20+ years ago, I was pointing out this mistake in "modern plans". Have a look at Cunard brochures!

My 1969 plans show it correctly (but also show "cabin or tourist class" for many of the cabins on 4 deck, which makes the plans pre 1969 I suppose) and so do several other sets I've seen from over the years after various refits, but the Brochure plans haven't shown a direct way into 1002 for years!

And talking of deck plans, on very early cross sections and plans of QM2 that I saw (not complete alas) G32 is called "The Yacht Club" and the two grill rooms are called "Queens Grill" and "Empire Grill". I also noted that the galley for the Britannia Resturant was beneath the dance floor of the Queens Room and the resturant itself. There were also the general layouts (which may not have been built as I saw on these plans and cross sections of course) of decks Double Bottom, A,B and 1. Double Bottom contained engines, machinery, stores, water and fuel tanks. Deck A (fore to aft) laundry forward then crew social areas (cinema, pub, gym, lounges) and then aft of that all the vast store rooms for the whole ship. Above on Deck B were the crew's cabins almost taking up the entire deck. Above that (Deck 1), again fore to aft, are more crew cabins, the medical centre (port forward), officer's wardroom (starboard forward), followed by the crew galley (port side amidships) the "Pig and Whistle" pub and "staff" "crew" and "officers" dining areas (or "messes"). There are also the four tender "loading" areas Chelsea, Kensington, Belgravia and Knightsbridge on this deck. These are multi use areas (for example, they are used for luggage and stores loading).

As far as I can see the problems you reported with 2107 and 2149 have been corrected in the brochure plans.

Very best wishes

Have a look at Cunard brochures!

Ah. Those plans:D Now that we've got three sets of plans readily available to view and umpteen more that we're not really sure of it's going to get awfully confusing!

Ah. Those plans:D Now that we've got three sets of plans readily available to view and umpteen more that we're not really sure of it's going to get awfully confusing!

pnhrk

So agree! Thankfully there are people on here with experience and real expert knowledge, who know what they're talking about (like yourself and a few others, not including me) who know Cunard's ships better than (parts of) Cunard do.

With very best wishes and thanks

Archived