Inside Cabins

Coolgran

Am I alone in liking Inside Cabins? I find them very cosy and I only have to turn on the TV to get 'the view from the Bridge' But best of all I don't get woken up by the daylight at crack of dawn and neither do I feel as if I am sleeping in a washing machine if the sea is even moderate. Mind you the highest I have been is deck 3 QE2 of course!

Well I must admit I like some natural light and thus I usually go for an outside cabin. I know its silly since once at sea there is not a lot to see. Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with someone liking an inside cabin. They can be just as nice as an outside cabin. If the cabin is simply a place to sleep in as you'll partake of the ship or the ports then why spend more if you don't feel that you need to.

I also prefer inside. I'm late to sleep & late getting up. So, the darkened (& usually cooler in tropical climates) cabins are a big plus for me. I have not found them to be noisier; but I am very careful when chosing my cabin's location. The other added benefit is that the money I save on inside cabins means I can cruise more often!

I do not mind an inside cabin.

At one time, inside suites were not uncommon! The only ships I can think of that have them today are MAXIM GORKIY and ASTORIA, both German.

I do prefer outsides simply because I actually tend to sleep a bit too much in an inside cabin (!) and also a view is not bad. In a storm if you are on a lower deck it can be fun to see the waves washing over one's porthole (assuming the deadlight isn't closed, which I guess it really should be)!

My first crossing on QE2 was in an inside cabin (3053). It was a very nice looking little cabin and very well laid out. My only issue was, as Doug mentions, that it was sort of difficult to get started in the morning. I wonder if the televisions have a timer that would turn then on in the morning. It would be kind of good to have the bridge cam station on and it would create just enough light to seem vaguely like morning. This past January's crossing I had a nice double outside cabin (4217). It was a great cabin, with lots of space and nice to have the natural light. It did lack some of the woodpanelled charm and coziness of the inside cabin on three deck, though. For the April '07 crossing I have another inside (5100). I have a good idea what that will look like.

I don't have a great preference for inside or outside. Most of my earlier cruises were in MI's, it's only in these later days that we've tended to go for the grander cabins. I don't think that the view is important - it's the space available.

One thing I find with outside cabins is that the larger and more luxurious they are the more time you want to spend in them - If you have an MI then all you do is sleep and dress there, with a larger outside cabin you might take afternoon tea there, have a snack lunch there, read there and spend much less time in the public rooms.

I always have an inside cabin - travelling solo its the most affordable way for me to go. I spend all day on deck or in the pub anyway:D

However, I am starting to have nagging doubts what with the dreaded Norovirus (not that I have ever had it and I am forgoing a barbeque thats 6 days before travelling just to make sure I don't get it:D ), having heard that you get confined to cabin for 3 days if you get it (2 of which you will probably feel fine).

Re the bridge cam - I am usually awake so early I watch the lights of the port get closer and sometimes the dawn on the TV, no need for an alarm.:)

Karen

Hi l always book an inside cabin as im to tight to pay for an outside, and besides for all the time you spend in there! however if the upgrade fairy wants to come along and touch me with her magic dust lm happy to accept!!

am usually awake so early I watch the lights of the port get closer and sometimes the dawn on the TV

Karen, Some of us are only getting back to our cabin at this time ;)

My very first cabin on QE2 was 4028 all these years ago in 86 , and for all the cruises and cabins l had, l do think that long after the finest sunset its our cabins we remember for whatever reason. l long to do the winter QE2 crossing and take part in the Cabin tours !!!!, l gather the range is quite diverse !!!!!

cheers

Myles

My very first cabin on QE2 was 4028 all these years ago in 86

How on earth do you remember that? I have trouble remembering where we were the time before last (Christmas) without having to look at my souvenirs of the trip.

Archived