When You Speak Of The Dec 1999 Qe2 Crossing

Maury2Kid

Here for your viewing pleasure was what it looked like when around 7 am we dipped our bow into a 40 to 50' wave.

Adios Larry

Ahhhhhh - that brings back some good memories!

Andi

I've done a couple of trips where I've seen that stairway looking like Niagra Falls.

Even more worrying were the aft stairways from Sun Deck down to Boat Deck, there was so much water flowing down them that you literally couldn't put your foot on the steps without it being swept off. When you went through the rotating doors, into the shops, you had to step over a line of sandbags.

Great Fun.

Wow. And it looks like the stairway leading up to the forward open deck (whatever it's called..) wasn't blocked off.

I was thinking that. It must have been quite an experience to face that from that part of the deck!

Highcbob - great photos, thanks for posting. Where were you standing (holding on to) when you took the 2002 winter crossing photo? Looks like the wing of the bridge? What was the month/year of the 90 foot rogue wave?

Highcbob - great photos, thanks for posting. Where were you standing (holding on to) when you took the 2002 winter crossing photo? Looks like the wing of the bridge? What was the month/year of the 90 foot rogue wave?

I cheated - it's actually a picture taken by the ships photograher that day. As soon as they were put on display in the photo shop they sold like hot-cakes :)

I,ve just got back from Iceland and Norway , i had a chat with a lady that was on the cruise with the 90 foot wave. Very dramatic and by the way Stephen Payne, OBE was on board ,he said QE2 WILL be sailing for another 8 to 10 years. Merecat:)

Hello, I was in I believe the biggest Mauretania single cabin on 1 deck,the Mauretania dineing ,the food was fine, service very slow ,small portions and arrived sometimes cold.However being of the female gender the size of the meals did,nt worry me but male guests complained ,I found our waiter miserable ,probably because he was very rushed and had too many tables to cover.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the cruise, I found all the crew very pleasant and helpful and really do want you back to cruise on her and the food the best I,ve had on any cruise. Merecat:)

We were in Mauretania this month and service was fantastic, the food was mostly pretty good.

The quality of food in the Lido was not as good as previously. The service there also had sliden.

The service in the bars was generally good, not much changed there. The biggest changes are the cocktail of the day has gone and there is a proper cocktail menu. These are made best in the Chart Room, next best is the Crystal Bar (although they tended to get the orders wrong). Avoid Cocktails in the Golden Lion.

They have expanded the range of UK beers but still fall far short in the real ale department.

... and then there is the 2002 winter crossing:

I'm so envious!

I was on the Land of the Midnight Sun cruise last month and they kept closing off all outside decks at slightest puff of wind. :(

Archived