will my 16 &18 be bored on a cruise?

My girls (16 & 19) are never bored on a cruise. They started cruising when they were 3 & 6 and our 10th cruise is coming up soon.

Their only request for this summer was not to go back to Alaska. We've done that twice and they'd rather be out in the sun around the pool in a warmer climate. They would be bored if we did Alaska again.

They always meet other kids of similar ages. My kids still regularly email some of the closer friends they made on cruises 3-4 years ago.

I believe that some teens would be bored - and others will find a cruise the vacation of a lifetime. I think that depends on several things

1. The personality of the teenager. If they are easily bored, they will be. Also teens who need lots of video game time may have a problem with how expensive these games are on ship. Computer use CAN be more reasonable, but there aren't games on the computers and Internet access is painfully slow.

2. The level of activity on the ship. Some ships have ice skating, self-leveling pool tables, rock climbing and/or water-slides. Some have none of these things.

3. The other teens on the ship. There is nothing like a little shipboard romance to improve the enjoyment of a vacation.

4. The teen's willingness to participate in offered activities. It is harder to be bored when you are busy, but not all shipboard activities appeal to kids. In addition, youngsters who are cooped up with adults leading activities (AKA school) often don't want more of the same while on vacation. If the kids like what is offered, it is a big plus. If not - - - oh well.

I believe that many of the complaints about youth on these boards come from people exposed to youth who ARE bored. If they don't find excitement, many kids make their own excitement by playing games with the adults on the ship - seeing how upset they can make them and how much they can get away with. There is also a lot of "see I was here" activities which include banging on stranger's cabin doors at all hours, grafitti, rearrangements of the furniture in public areas etc. These only turn into problems when the adults (AKA parents/guardians) who are supposed to be supervising these kids aren't.

If they love to lay around the pool then they should have a good time. Take them on a Voyager class ship and there are more activities specifically for older children and they can also hang in the Promenade.

Mary,

We have been cruising with our kids (1 girl, 1 boy) since they were 14 & 16 (they are now 23 & 21). They have enjoyed each and every cruise (all warm weather) and continue to cruise with each year (along with SO's now). We have been on RCI & Carnival without a problem or complaint (although they enjoy RCI more, especially the Voyager class ships). While it is true that your girls are too old for the teen programs, there is still plenty for them to do and NOT be in trouble. Take them along IMHO and enjoy the family time and family vacation!

Bruce

Hi...I went with my 16 yr DD in March on Mariner. We have been on alot of cruises and I think the key is for them to make freinds quick. My DD is shy so it was hard for her just join in with the rest of the kids. It seemed that when she did go to the teen center there wasn't many kids there (they already got into there little clicks). I think the only she would go on a cruise now is if she was bringing a freind from home along. It seems you won't have this problem as her brother would be along so they could meet kids together. Hope you have a good cruise!

I'd be surprised if they didn't enjoy cruising. Our 15 year old son and 12 year old daughter loved our recent cruise on the Mariner. Our son didn't do much with the teen program or with other kids--it surprised us since he's with friends and on the go most of the time when we're home. After thinking about it, my husband and I realized that maybe he just needed a little break from all of the school/sports/activities craziness that's at home. He read a book by the Solarium pool (even though the age is 16 and up--he looks older), played shuffleboard, golf, etc. with his sister and us, played in the arcade, hit Bingo with his Mom :-), etc. etc. My daughter, on the other hand, loved the organized activities and made buddies right away.

Our family loves the ocean so we made sure to hit the beaches on port days--the ports really break up the trip and gives teens something else to do. Of course, my daughter and I also did a little shopping on those days.

We just got back from the 6/20 Mariner. I have 3 boys, 12, 16 and 18. We never saw our 12 and 16 yr old...except at most dinners. They always have fun on the cruises and meet at least 2-3 kids if not more. My 18 yr old hung out w/ us for the first time since he was considered an adult. He had fun gambling, the adult shows and clubs. He had a great time!

My daughter (17) and her friend (16) were NEVER bored on our VOS cruise. We only saw them when we made them check in and then it was only for a few minutes. The only suggestion I would make is to make sure they go to the first night meeting. This is when they get their ID for the teen club and also meet most of the other kids their age.

I still very sharply remember my cruises as a teenager. BOY did I have a good time. Just remember, teenagers are discovering lots of things like, for example, sexuality, and you don't see them much on a big ship. Enough said :o

mary07054:

I agree with Yarlenna. If your kids are the type who often mention (whine, complain about :)) being bored, don't expect a cruise to instantaneously and magically engage them. If, however, new things and new people interest them, and they are generally happy and busy young people, they will enjoy their cruise. My 16 & 18 year olds LOVE cruising.

On the other hand, I am a BIG proponent of Mom & Dad getting some vacation time of their own!

On the OTHER hand, (yes, I have 3 hands :) - don't all mothers????), a cruise can be a perfect balance of adult time and family time. {something for everyone}

Carol

We were on the Adventure last month with our 17 and 18 year old kids. They loved it! We did establish ground rules before we went, i.e. not going in other peoples cabins, buddy system at all times, curfews (they had their own cabin). One time they were late coming in for the night and found their father sleeping in one of their beds. :eek: They had to wake him in order to get to sleep. That in itself was a deterrent! They did have a wonderful time, though. Met many new friends and kept themselves busy. We always ate together as a family and went ashore together during the day. Hope you and yours have a great time, too!

**On a side note--The DH and I did the exact same cruise last year...by ourselves. We both agreed that we had a better time last year. More relaxing, less stress. Teenagers are inherently stressful. As a responsible parent, I did check up on my teens when they least expected it. They knew they had to walk the straight and narrow or suffer the consequences!

If parents of some teens I saw on the Mariner knew what the teens were doing they would be shocked. Girls of about 14 or 15 were so inappropriate with boys the same age in public areas especially elevators. Unbelievable! My 16 y/o daughter was shocked.

There is ice skating, basketball, rock climbing, pools and lots more. Even a learn to juggle class.

I'm sure anyone with teens know the trouble they can get into. The question is whether or not they'll be bored. There are enough healthy activities to keep them occupied. It's when they get bored that they tend to get into mischief. Kids, even older teens, need to be steered in the right direction sometimes. :D

Keep in mind that your 18 year old will be able to participate in many activities that your 16 year old won't, such as gambling, visiting the adult night club and drinking beer and wine. If the 16 year old is going to feel abandoned if the 18 year old does adult stuff, or the 18 year old will feel held back by foregoing the adult stuff, you might want to reconsider. Some siblings in this situation will make their own friends, but some will want to hang out together, and the age difference might chafe.

Archived