BQ and Yukon...is my Fairbanks plan doable with car rental?...

irisheileen

I'm leaving this Saturday! This question is my lst "issue". I've posted but it's gotten pushed back in the pages. Would you please review and give me your thoughts?

Here is my thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=387384

PS Remember BQ, I'll be "toasting" you at dinner as I promised! Yukon, I'm throwing your name in also!! You help has been very much appreciated this past year!!

Eileen

With a rental car (I'd pick it up in the morning), you have lots of time to visit North Pole, visit UAF's musk ox/reindeer farm and get to Ester for a 5:00 dinner. You may be over-estimating what's at Bear Lodge - the bird centre is small, the grounds of the lodge are nice but take little time to wander, and the trails at Creamer's Field next door can be exceptionally buggy this time of year. To add other things, continue on the the university's garden (ask for directions at the farm) - only $2 admission and very beautiful (it's not Butchart Gardens, but worth a visit). And you'll probably still have time to see the magnificent new museum/gallery just up the hill a few hundred yards. For dinner, I wouldn't say that Ester is better than Pioneer Park, it's just different - I almost always go to Pioneer Park because its easier (and I love both the grub and the ultimate-casual atmosphere).

Have fun!

Murray

Yukon,

Is the menu the main difference between Ester and Pioneer? I know that BQ has stated to be first in line at Pioneer due to the plates issue!

How would the menus differ, if so?

the musk ox farm is on the University property? I'ts really the only place I haven't researched.

THANKS ALOT!

The menus at Ester and Pioneer Park are similar except you can get steak and lobster at Ester. I've never understood what the plate issue was at Pioneer - I've certainly never had a problem getting one!

The musk ox farm is run by the University but is a couple of miles away ( http://www.uaf.edu/lars/ ). The garden is right at the south end of the university grounds, as is part of the reindeer farm.

Murray

The menus at Ester and Pioneer Park are similar except you can get steak and lobster at Ester. I've never understood what the plate issue was at Pioneer - I've certainly never had a problem getting one!

Murray- they no longer, have the clean plates in the line, you have to ask for them and most people do not. The big problem here is all the contamination caused by reusing dirty plates in the buffet section. Stuff dripping into the food, cross contamination caused by people "tapping" serving utensels on their dirty plates, then back in the food, etc.

New York State has a law against this usage, due to health issues. Sorry, but just my thing as a health care professional. :)

Yukon, sorry to correct you, but I believe Ester serves crab, not lobster....It's often fresh crab from Yakutat and is very good. I don't like the food at the Salmon Bake (Pioneer Park) at all.

A good place for breakfast is Sam's Sourdough Cafe, near the University. It's on University between Geist and College. I recommend the Sam's omlette with reindeer sausage and sourdough pancakes.

Yukon, sorry to correct you, but I believe Ester serves crab, not lobster....It's often fresh crab from Yakutat and is very good.

You're right - as soon as I spent 10 seconds thinking about it, I realized it was crab, not lobster.

Murray

Archived