Pearls and Diabetes?

I have to pass along a couple of questions to you all from my mom and my aunt. My aunt wants to know where she can buy a 3-rope strand of pearls on the Western Caribbean ports? My mother wants to know if the dining room serves sugar free or a diabetic dinner option. Particularly a sugar free desert choice?

Thanks in advance

I'm a low carber, so I'm always on the lookout for a sugar free dessert onboard, too. Every night there was at least one sugar free option. They always at least had ice cream. (If it's not on the menu, tell your mother to ask for it anyway.)

Sorry, can't help on the pearls.

Western Caribbean ports are not known for Pearl Jewelry options. If you are sailing out of San Juan, I have a great contact at Gems & Pearls (Alex from NYC who has been living in OSJ for more than 15 years) who makes his own simulated pearls for a very reasonable price. His shop is on Calle Forteleza.

Always sugar-free desserts in the Windjammer and the dining room. The sugar-free ice cream flavors are terrific!!!

Also, they usually have lots of fresh pineapple in the Windjammer, which is a great fresh fruit for diabetics.

Yes they offer no sugar added desserts but as she probally already knows these are so packed with carbs so that they taste better so she may as well eat the sugar desserts. What I do is refrain from the bread, corn, potatoes, rice, pasta etc. if I want to indulge in a dessert.

I also also can't deal with the sorbital sweetened desserts as they give me MAJOR GAS-supposably it only does that if you over-indulge but with me ONE PIECE of candy destroys me. Your mom probally also knows that fruit like pineapple that is high in sugar willl also raise her blood sugar-the difference in pineapple is at least it has some nutrition value compared to a piece of cake.

I have found the best for me is moderation in EVERYTHING-if I am careful then maybe I can have that dessert but then sometimes I decide I would rather have that piece of bread or pasta.

One thing too if your mom likes to swim or does like me and take the stairs alot instead of the elevator she may find she can tolerate a few more carbs then normal. Ofcourse this depends on how much knowlege she has about what foods she can and cannot eat and if she can check her blood sugar to see how she's doing. My mom had diabetes from age 15 so I grew up living diabetes with her-so when I was diagnosed I had the edge on others. Too bad I did not watch my eating habits as I knew I should before developing diabetes-then maybe I would not have developed diabetes until I was older. Anyway I watched her die from heart trouble so I am much more diligent now.

Archived