Leaving next week. Please help.

lmt1022

I just found out that I have recieved a supposed upgrade from FF to DD on the Amsterdam. However, they have me in DD 3429, 2nd from the back on the lower promenade with an obstructed view (not to mention, people walking by the window). I don't see how this is really an upgrade as my one request when I made the reservation was a outside view (I paid extra to not have a porthole)

I called HAL and they stated that they are fully booked. I asked to be downgraded back to my original level or to an E. They said I couldn't do that, but I could go on a waitlist to get a DA cabin one floor below and mid ship, but it would cost $200 a piece.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Have you ever stayed near this room? It looks like there might be stairs right next to the window? Where do they lead and is this noisy (the girl at HAL had no idea where the stairs went--she thought maybe "up" but that would be right into the dining room?

Is there a lot of noise from people walking, talking right outside, etc.

I am on my honeymoon and am not too thrilled with people walking right by my window.

I just looked at the deck plans, so please understand that I am only making an educated guess here.

First, I think this should be a fairly quiet, nice area. You have a nearby exit to the largest veranda on the ship. Not to mention easy access to/from lifeboat drill.

People won't be going in/out too much there, however. Most will be using the doors on the sides of the ship. I wouldn't expect too many people standing and talking by your window; they will be at the aft.

Oh, and your window is coated so people can't see in during the daytime. At night keep your draperies closed while the lights are on; keep the sheers drawn while sleeping.

Most likely you will have a view when looking off to the side, but not straight out. You will get daylight.

This is a lesson for you. When booking a "guarantee", as opposed to a specific cabin, you have to be prepared to accept any cabin in your category or higher. If you aren't prepared for that, then it's better to pay a higher tariff and pick the cabin you want.

Have a good time anyway. (I think you will.)

The first thing I would do is call HAL back. If you don't get what you want, call back again. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain that you are on your honeymoon and it is a very special trip for you. Be very, very nice but insist that you want a different room. Things change from minute to minute in their computer and people who answer the phone have different attitudes. Keep trying but if worse comes to worse and you are not moved, the cabin will probably work out okay. It is two decks higher which is an advantage. The windows have a coating on them where you can see out but nobody can see in during the day. At night you have to close your drapes because I think people can see in with lights on but there is nothing for you to see then anyhow. The stairway outside your room is probably an emergency exit for the crew. Good luck.

On my last trip, I spoke with some people who had a cabin similar to yours. They said that they couldn't hear any sounds from outside on the deck (i.e, people walking by, talking, etc.). I believe your cabin is in a fairly quiet area of the deck without much traffic going by (i.e., not midship near an exit). You can't see into the cabins in the daytime except if you are standing right up against the window and peering in and the people inside are standing close to the window with the lights on. At night, you will need to close the curtains.

DH & I love those cabins; I hope you will too. In those cabins, because of the deck ceiling, you don't have to worry about the sun requiring you to close yourself in with the drapes & no worry about the sun fighting the A/C & your cabin getting too hot. In outside cabins on other decks, that can be an issue.

We love stepping out to our ship size balcony! :cool: We love to "walk the promenade" (as in the days of old) & it is right there! Just think at nite, when it is dark, you & your new DH can slip out to your huge balcony in your HAL bathrobe & listen to the sounds of the ocean passing by you! :) Get up early one morning & in your robes with your coffee (bring mugs with lids from home) & of course snuggling together, watch the sunrise! :D You paid for an FF & got as good as you can get without paying big bucks for a balcony!

Regarding noise, we have never had any problems. One time, we heard the crew moving chairs around. If you encounter any such problems, which I doubt, just call the front desk & politely ask for silence during sleeping hours.

By the way, I hope you have a good sense of humor. One of our favorite forms of entertainment in these cabins (sorry if we seem weird :rolleyes: ) is to alert each other when curiousity overcomes a passerby who puts their nose to the outside of our window to see if they can actually see thru the privacy shading. They can't - we know for sure. Because we get real close to the window & they never see us. But just at the right time, we "thump" their nose - you should see them jump!! Luckily the deck is wide or they would jump off the ship!!! :D Like I said - takes a certain sense of humor!

Have a wonderful cruise at a very special time in your life - Ahhhhh. Decide in advance that every minute, wonderful & not so wonderful, will be a new adventure for the two of you together & nothing will spoil it for you.

I just found out that I have recieved a supposed upgrade from FF to DD on the Amsterdam. However, they have me in DD 3429, 2nd from the back on the lower promenade with an obstructed view (not to mention, people walking by the window). I don't see how this is really an upgrade as my one request when I made the reservation was a outside view (I paid extra to not have a porthole)

I called HAL and they stated that they are fully booked. I asked to be downgraded back to my original level or to an E. They said I couldn't do that, but I could go on a waitlist to get a DA cabin one floor below and mid ship, but it would cost $200 a piece.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Have you ever stayed near this room? It looks like there might be stairs right next to the window? Where do they lead and is this noisy (the girl at HAL had no idea where the stairs went--she thought maybe "up" but that would be right into the dining room?

Is there a lot of noise from people walking, talking right outside, etc.

I am on my honeymoon and am not too thrilled with people walking right by my window.

:rolleyes: Think of the Lower Prom. this way....you walk out of your cabin door to an exit and you are on the largest veranda on the ship. I have been on these verandas at holiday times when the ship was full - and there honestly are not that many people ever out there! If you are on any level below the Lower Prom...the only way to "outside fresh air" is to go up to the Lower Prom. deck. If I had to cruise on any other deck (with the exception of a private balcony room, of course) personally I couldn't go. Have a great honeymoon trip! You got a wonderful upgrade to a nice level of the ship!

Linda & Vern

Maasdam 2004 Christmas & New Years

Maasdam 2005 Thanksgiving

Veendam 2006 Christmas

I can't thank you enough for your responses... I feel so much better just because of reading all of your replies.

I guess I was just picturing continuous crowds of people and having to always keep our shades drawn. I have definitely decided not too worry about the room and just enjoy every minute...

And I have to try the "thumping" trick... that's hilarious! :D

Thanks again!

I have been studying photos of that area of the ship because we have the handicap room behind you on a similar ship. There is a glass enclosed staircase forward of your cabin. It will tend to keep people from walking close to your window because they will need to go around it.

I think you will have a view straight out your wndow because there is a cutout in the hull there across the deck.

I agree with the others....you got a good cabin.:)

Please report back and let us know how it all worked out.

OK, so you have a good sense of what's really fun; to heck with bingo! then I will go even farther!! Give me an inch & I'll take a mile!

Don't miss out on that little known free HAL extra of "flashing" the ocean! :eek: Some night when you are out there (on your big balcony in your HAL robes) & it's real dark & no one is around of course, except you & DH, stand close to the rail (but not too close) & WHIP open your robe & flash the ocean! :D Talk about feeling the sea air! (of course it is better if you don't have anything under your robe ;) ). Don't fret about the legalities of flashing the ocean - I don't think it's on the law books! (yet)

Little suggestion - Hold onto the edges of that robe. Just imagine explaining the missing robe to HAL! :p

Tinknock... thanks for the info. Could you tell me where you found out about the glass stairs? Are there pictures of it somewhere?

TwoAtsea... Hmmm. Maybe if I have a drink a two I just might "flash the ocean" too :cool: My new hubby will think I've lost my mind (but, I think he'll love it!!);)

But just at the right time, we "thump" their nose - you should see them jump!! Luckily the deck is wide or they would jump off the ship!!! :D Like I said - takes a certain sense of humor!

That is hysterical! serves them right for being nosey :D

By the way, I hope you have a good sense of humor. One of our favorite forms of entertainment in these cabins (sorry if we seem weird :rolleyes: ) is to alert each other when curiousity overcomes a passerby who puts their nose to the outside of our window to see if they can actually see thru the privacy shading. They can't - we know for sure. Because we get real close to the window & they never see us. But just at the right time, we "thump" their nose - you should see them jump!! Luckily the deck is wide or they would jump off the ship!!! :D Like I said - takes a certain sense of humor!

HA HA HA I did that once to someone who was looking into my SUV. It was AWESOME!! I think it would be even funnier on the ship!!

IMT Have a GREAT Cruise, an awesome reception, a great wedding, and a MARRIAGE to DIE for! Best wishes!! I'm about to celebrate my 2 yr. anniversary in a month and I remember how it felt a week before the wedding. Just relax and enjoy the fact that you've found your soul mate! How lucky are you?! Again, best wishes for a happy, healthy, and glorious marriage! Bon Voyage!

OH! and P.S. When your honeymoon is over, post pictures of EVERYTHING! Wedding, Reception, and the Cruise (of course!)

Tinknock... thanks for the info. Could you tell me where you found out about the glass stairs? Are there pictures of it somewhere?

TwoAtsea... Hmmm. Maybe if I have a drink a two I just might "flash the ocean" too :cool: My new hubby will think I've lost my mind (but, I think he'll love it!!);)

Someone sent me a photo of the promenade deck and at the end you can see the glass enclosed staircase.Don't know how to post it but if you email me at Bicepeak@aol.com I will send it.

Archived