Katmia National Park - comments?

bunduo

As anyone visited Katmia National Park pre or post-cruise? If so, did you see any bears? What time of year did you visit? From what I've read, it is THE place to see brown bears. It doesn't look like the easiest park to get to, however. Unfortunately, we will be traveling in June before the salmon runs.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Matt

This is a fly in from Homer, of which I suggest you have several days there, since there can be cancelations. It is a raved about area. You need to contact venders directly and inquire of their sighting stats.

Frequently recommended venders are Emerald Air and Hallo Bay.

Spectacular bear viewing in the Katmai. Been 5 times in 5 years-3 to Hallo Bay and twice to Brooks Falls. Brooks to me was too much like a zoo-very crowded and limited time on the platforms. Hallo Bay is truly a wilderness experience. No safety platforms-just you, your guide, and the bears.

However, in your time frame, Brooks MAY be better (if late June). Rust's Flying Service runs day trips out of Anchorage. http://www.flyrusts.com/24.cfm

Here is the link to the authorized, NPS vendor. They also run day trips out of Anchorage. http://www.katmailand.com/

AS much as I love the bears of the Katmai and want to encourage you to see them too, if you are going in early June, I think I would schedule another trip to Alaska in late August/early September. The bears are power feeding at that time to get ready for winter. FANTASTIC bear viewing late August/early September.

Here is a pretty good guide to the bears of Hallo Bay. http://www.hallobay.com/Bears_Doing.html

Spectacular bear viewing in the Katmai. Been 5 times in 5 years-3 to Hallo Bay and twice to Brooks Falls. Brooks to me was too much like a zoo-very crowded and limited time on the platforms. Hallo Bay is truly a wilderness experience. No safety platforms-just you, your guide, and the bears.

However, in your time frame, Brooks MAY be better (if late June). Rust's Flying Service runs day trips out of Anchorage. http://www.flyrusts.com/24.cfm

Here is the link to the authorized, NPS vendor. They also run day trips out of Anchorage. http://www.katmailand.com/

AS much as I love the bears of the Katmai and want to encourage you to see them too, if you are going in early June, I think I would schedule another trip to Alaska in late August/early September. The bears are power feeding at that time to get ready for winter. FANTASTIC bear viewing late August/early September.

Here is a pretty good guide to the bears of Hallo Bay. http://www.hallobay.com/Bears_Doing.html

Thanks for the great information. Just this morning I was reading about this national park and was wondering about more information. You gave me a lot. Thanks.

Thanks BQ and greatam! At this point, our time is limited. The day trips from Anchorage offered by Rust's and Katmia land our mighty appealing. Has anyone taken these excursions?

If I could do Katmia in a day, we could also take an excursion to Denali. Talkeetna Aero offers a day trip from Anchorage to Denali including the NPS bus ride into the park. Has anyone taken Talkeetna Aero's day trip from Anchorage to Denali? Our main goal is to see as much wildlife, on land and sea, as we possibly can. Is this trying to do too much?

Thanks again, Matt :)

What is the best way to get to Homer? How far is it by car?

Driving time, straight through from ANC, is about 4 hours. However, the scenery is SO spectacular driving down and there are so many places to stop, plan on more like 5-6. UNLESS you are REALLY in a hurry, you will definitely want to stop.

You can also fly from ANC. Sometimes there are specials-pretty cheap. I think they have a sign up for web specials. Otherwise, plan on about $200.00+pp RT. Prop service-flight under an hour. Here is the link to scheduled service to Homer. http://www.flyera.com/

Thanks again greatam! It sounds like Rust's day trip from ANC to Katmai (I finally spelled it right - woo hoo!) is the best alternative. This might be a question I have to ask Rust's but do you think they would or could fly into Hallo Bay? Hallo Bay seems to the prime bear and wildlife viewing spot but I don't know if it's owned or controlled by a resort or government or is off-limits.

The next best alternative is an excursion with Hallo Bay Lodge which offers a day trip out of Homer. Unfortunately, Era Aviation's schedule would get us into Homer too late in the morning. Driving is still an option but, with a rental, it puts the cost over Rust's day trip and it complicates matters a bit.

If you had a choose between Katmai or Denali, which would you choose?

Thanks again greatam! It sounds like Rust's day trip from ANC to Katmai (I finally spelled it right - woo hoo!) is the best alternative. This might be a question I have to ask Rust's but do you think they would or could fly into Hallo Bay? Hallo Bay seems to the prime bear and wildlife viewing spot but I don't know if it's owned or controlled by a resort or government or is off-limits.

The next best alternative is an excursion with Hallo Bay Lodge which offers a day trip out of Homer. Unfortunately, Era Aviation's schedule would get us into Homer too late in the morning. Driving is still an option but, with a rental, it puts the cost over Rust's day trip and it complicates matters a bit.

If you had a choose between Katmai or Denali, which would you choose?

My personal choice will always be the Kenai Peninsula/Katmai over Denali. But then again, I schedule my trips to coincide with the salmon runs, as I know I am guaranteed bear sightings. Sometimes, the bears are close in Denali, but most of the time, they are off in the distance. In Hallo Bay and Brooks, the bears are VERY close.

Hallo Bay is privately owned. Not a "resort" by an means-no swimming pool, no hot tub, no bathrooms in the cabins/tents. But an absolutely wonderful experience whether you go for a day trip or one of the overnights. And AFAIK, Rust's has no landing priviledges in Hallo Bay. Andy-owner and chief pilot of Homer Air, has the landing priviledges.

Brooks Falls is government owned-Katmailand is the concessionaire authorized to run Brooks Lodge and fly into the park.

ERA has a VERY early morning flight from ANC to Homer (something like 4:30AM, gets to Homer about 5:30AM).

Renting a car, unless you are REALLY opposed to driving in Alaska, is the only way to see a lot of neat stuff in Alaska. How many days do you have to spend on land? Are you doing a northbound or southbound cruise?

Your money calculations for a rental car are not correct. ANC/Homer via ERA would be about $400.00 for a couple (unless you got a web special) PLUS the trip cost to Hallo Bay. You can rent a car for $70.00 per day or less.

You really should allow 2 days minimum if you plan on doing Hallo Bay out of Homer. Frequently in the summer, Homer gets fogged in early in the morning. Then you have to wait to see if the fog lifts. Sometimes the fog doesn't lift until late and you are rescheduled the next day.

IF you don't have the 2-3 days to spare going to the Kenai and Hallo Bay, I would call Rust's and find out where they are taking you in the Katmai (probably Lake Clark). Then discuss your time frame and find out what you can REALISTICALLY expect. If early June, please be realistic. The bears are just coming out of hibernation and are not as visible as they are later in the season.

Excellent thinking Greatam! You're right about the rental car calculations. Katmai/Kenai is the excursion that my wife and I would like to do but there are pros and cons to each. We have two days pre-cruise. See if I'm missing anything:

Rusts: Goes to Lake Illiana, Lake Clark and Katmai. It is more convenient with R/T flights leaving from ANC. This tour offers less sitting, more hiking, more nature. It could be fogged out but we will not have to drive/fly back to ANC from Homer. Cost: $700.

Hallo Bay: Is located in pristine bear environment. We can rent a car to get to Homer and sight-see Alaska but run a chance of Hallo Bay being fogged out. This tour has more sitting, less hiking. Cost: $600. Or we can fly Era Aviation down to Homer (if 430am flight is offered, currently not shown on website). This also could be fogged out. This tour has less sitting, more hiking, more nature. Cost: $990.

Talkeetna Aero to Denali: It convenient with R/T flights leaving from ANC. They average 2 cancelled flights a year. We will get to see beautiful Denali with a chance of seeing bears since it will be mid June and they will be at lower elevations. This tour will have more sitting (8 hour busride - yeesh), less hiking. Cost: $500.

Greatam, you're advice has been priceless. What do you think?

Thanks again, Matt

Excellent thinking Greatam! You're right about the rental car calculations. Katmai/Kenai is the excursion that my wife and I would like to do but there are pros and cons to each. We have two days pre-cruise. See if I'm missing anything:

Rusts: Goes to Lake Illiana, Lake Clark and Katmai. It is more convenient with R/T flights leaving from ANC. This tour offers less sitting, more hiking, more nature. It could be fogged out but we will not have to drive/fly back to ANC from Homer. Cost: $700.

Hallo Bay: Is located in pristine bear environment. We can rent a car to get to Homer and sight-see Alaska but run a chance of Hallo Bay being fogged out. This tour has more sitting, less hiking. Cost: $600. Or we can fly Era Aviation down to Homer (if 430am flight is offered, currently not shown on website). This also could be fogged out. This tour has less sitting, more hiking, more nature. Cost: $990.

Talkeetna Aero to Denali: It convenient with R/T flights leaving from ANC. They average 2 cancelled flights a year. We will get to see beautiful Denali with a chance of seeing bears since it will be mid June and they will be at lower elevations. This tour will have more sitting (8 hour busride - yeesh), less hiking. Cost: $500.

Greatam, you're advice has been priceless. What do you think?

Thanks again, Matt

My thoughts only. Forget Denali if your goal is to really see bears up close and personal. The chances of having them 30-40 feet from you are not great. And over 1/3 of Alaska visitors never see the mountain (Denali) in its full glory.

Hallo Bay-hardly any sitting UNTIL you find the bears. Then you must quietly sit and watch. One time, we walked almost 4 miles before we ran into what our guide thought was worth our time. A bear here, a bear there, but we finally walked enough to find about 20 bears chowing down on sedge in a distant meadow. Then spent the next two hours sitting and watching.

I don't understand a tour with ERA. I thought you were going to take ERA regularly scheduled air service just to get to Homer (in lieu of a rental car), then take the Hallo Bay day trip. That is an expensive proposition if you have to book ERA regular price for transport to Homer. However, there are specials on air, but it is usually last minute. IF you are considering Hallo Bay, I personally would book the rental car (not prepaid-just with Avis or someone), then look on the ERA site just before you leave the lower 48 and see if there is a special. This weekend, it is $149.00RT, instead of $224.00. Some savings, but still not a cheap way to get to Hallo Bay.

All in All, with just two days and in your time frame, I think I would book Rust's. Check out their cancellation policy before you book, just in case of fog. Make sure you have good travel insurance.

Rust's has two trips. The one to the Katmai is more flying, UNLESS they take you to Brooks. That would be only if there are large bear concentrations already at Brooks (really doubtful mid June).

The one to Redoubt/Lake Clark is more in a boat with a guide. Have never done either trip (I have always flown from Homer), but from the air, the pilot could sure spot the bear concentrations. I know Andy at Homer Air has a ball spotting the bears.

Decisions, Decisions!!!! Whichever trip you take, enjoy!!! Make you a bet that you come back to Alaska for NO OTHER REASON than to see the bears.

Greatam - Rust's does look like the one we are going to book. I am going to call them to find out about the cancellation policy and deposit. I can't put into words how much I appreciate ALL the advice. And you're right about Era avaition. They don't offer a tour. The way I wrote that part was confusing. Era would just get us down to Homer and the per person price if we went that route (to Hallo Bay) would actually be $770. As far as price, all options are in the same ballpark. What it comes down to is convenience, one and one time with nature, and weather.

I just read that you work in logistics....which makes your advice even more valuable. My wife has worked in logistics all her adult life starting in the Air Force. Now she's in charge of getting Chiquita's fresh fruit (except the bananas) from the growers to the supermarkets. We always say only people who work in logistics know what logistics is.

Thanks! -Matt :)

I just read that you work in logistics....which makes your advice even more valuable. My wife has worked in logistics all her adult life starting in the Air Force. Now she's in charge of getting Chiquita's fresh fruit (except the bananas) from the growers to the supermarkets. We always say only people who work in logistics know what logistics is.

Thanks! -Matt :)

This is just totally amazing. We handle nothing but refrigerated on a global scale. Lots of cheese, truffles, fish, wine and we do the logistics planning for about 40% of the Thompson seedless grapes you buy in the winter from Chile. I make 4 trips a year to South America to oversee our operation. Our trucks (and lots of others) haul the grapes out of Philly mostly to all points in the US except the SouthEast. I am going to start divesting myself of the grape business in the next year or two. Not enough pizzaz hauling straight loads of grapes. We do a lot of specialty hauling for caterers, restaurants, etc. And a BIG Jewish Kosher business out of NYC to LA. We also do a lot of trade show stuff for caterers, restaurants and specialty food purveyors.

As you say-most people have no idea what logistics is or what goes into getting food from point A to point B.

Have a great trip to Alaska. Enjoy the bears!!! I leave again for Alaska August 29. Got to make sure the end of season fish shipping gets closed out, all freight was manifested properly and customs and ag clearances were properly processed. I absolutely hate it when USDA contacts me 3 months later about 2 pallets that "didn't have the proper paperwork". Like I can remember 2 pallets. LOL

That is too funny. I always know when the Chilean season starts. My wife starts moaning and groaning weeks before it hits. She is always waiting for loads to come across the border from Mexico. Customs is usually the hold up...or that is what the drivers say. I guess Mexican haulers play by a different set of rules than the rest of the world. She hauls out of Philly all the time. The sheds she uses are Manfredi and Pen Terminal. She is constantly looking for LTL carriers who won't overcharge. The joys of logistics...:)

I am so jealous that you are heading to Alaska in a couple of weeks. We have to wait almost a year for our cruise. We are huge nature lovers and brown bears are some of the most amazing and fearsome creatures on the planet. It would mighty cool to see them up close. To see 20 feeding would be an incredible sight to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Greatam, your posts really got me excited about taking a trip there. Unfortunately I won't be able to take a cruise as well but I do have freq flyer miles that will get me from MN to Anchorage and as far as King Salmon with Alaska Air - all for $20!. Then it is only a short hop from there to Brooks Falls with Katmailand and much cheaper than from Anchorage or Homer (+-$165 compared with +-$565 and it is the same number of freq flyer miles for a ticket to Anchorage or King Salmon). I was thinking of going 9-12 July and camping for three nights at Brooks Camp. That gives me one full day for bear viewing & some hiking, and another day for the Valley of 10,000 Smokes trip. I am also allowing three nights there in case my flight gets delayed or cancelled and I can always forego the Valley of 10,000 Smokes tour.

I understand that the prime bear viewing time is late August/early September but I also read that late June/July is pretty good. Is that your experience too? I hesitate to go in late August/September since I want to get to Denali NP again and two years ago at Wonder Lake we got a foot of snow on Sep 10th or so - closed the park down! Plus, work is really slow in the summer for me but picks up around Labor Day.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

John

Greatam, your posts really got me excited about taking a trip there. Unfortunately I won't be able to take a cruise as well but I do have freq flyer miles that will get me from MN to Anchorage and as far as King Salmon with Alaska Air - all for $20!. Then it is only a short hop from there to Brooks Falls with Katmailand and much cheaper than from Anchorage or Homer (+-$165 compared with +-$565 and it is the same number of freq flyer miles for a ticket to Anchorage or King Salmon). I was thinking of going 9-12 July and camping for three nights at Brooks Camp. That gives me one full day for bear viewing & some hiking, and another day for the Valley of 10,000 Smokes trip. I am also allowing three nights there in case my flight gets delayed or cancelled and I can always forego the Valley of 10,000 Smokes tour.

I understand that the prime bear viewing time is late August/early September but I also read that late June/July is pretty good. Is that your experience too? I hesitate to go in late August/September since I want to get to Denali NP again and two years ago at Wonder Lake we got a foot of snow on Sep 10th or so - closed the park down! Plus, work is really slow in the summer for me but picks up around Labor Day.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

John

Don't worry about taking a cruise. The cruise was a BIG letdown for me. MUCH more spectacular stuff on land, IMHO.

Very creative use of air miles. However, check out one thing-on the return, are you going to be allowed more than 23 hours layover in ANC? Most award tickets will not allow two "stops"-ie King Salmon (3-4 days) AND ANC (2-3??? days).

If not allowed, that may blow your Denali trip. If the extra stopover is not allowed-check to see if AS (in conjunction with their partners) may have reduced mileage awards for the short hop (ANC to King Salmon). AA often runs specials for short hoppers.

Now to the bears-I think you are going the perfect time for Brooks. It will be crowded, but by staying three days, you will have the park to yourself after the day trippers leave. And that is the time we really enjoyed Brooks. During the day, it was like a Disneyland ride-15 minutes on the platform, then go to the end of the line. Not a lot of fun. But when it was only the campers and the lodge people, it was much better.

Prime bear viewing in Hallo Bay is late August/early September. The silvers are spawning in the ocean and the bears feed all day. Brooks bears feed on Kings and Red salmon and those runs are usually over by late July. There is a silver salmon run in Brooks (September), but not nearly as spectacular as the silvers in the ocean at Hallo Bay.

Enjoy!!!

Don't worry about taking a cruise. The cruise was a BIG letdown for me. MUCH more spectacular stuff on land, IMHO.

Very creative use of air miles. However, check out one thing-on the return, are you going to be allowed more than 23 hours layover in ANC? Most award tickets will not allow two "stops"-ie King Salmon (3-4 days) AND ANC (2-3??? days).

If not allowed, that may blow your Denali trip. If the extra stopover is not allowed-check to see if AS (in conjunction with their partners) may have reduced mileage awards for the short hop (ANC to King Salmon). AA often runs specials for short hoppers.

Now to the bears-I think you are going the perfect time for Brooks. It will be crowded, but by staying three days, you will have the park to yourself after the day trippers leave. And that is the time we really enjoyed Brooks. During the day, it was like a Disneyland ride-15 minutes on the platform, then go to the end of the line. Not a lot of fun. But when it was only the campers and the lodge people, it was much better.

Prime bear viewing in Hallo Bay is late August/early September. The silvers are spawning in the ocean and the bears feed all day. Brooks bears feed on Kings and Red salmon and those runs are usually over by late July. There is a silver salmon run in Brooks (September), but not nearly as spectacular as the silvers in the ocean at Hallo Bay.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks a LOT for your reply. Actually on the return from King Salmon I am only in Anchorage for 6 hours. My "stop" in Anchorage (e.g. Denali) is on the front end and my "end destination" is King Salmon. So my plan will work. I actually have it all booked - just need to pay by tomorrow otherwise it gets cancelled. And the 6 hour layover on the return is perfect since I will be leaving some of my luggage in Anchorage and will need to repack.

I figure I will be able to do this entire trip including car rental, etc. for not much more than what most airlines ask just for the day trip from Anchorage to Brooks Falls ($575 round trip for that flight).

So they limit your time on the viewing platform to 15 minutes during the day? Probably hard to get great photos that way if it is so crowded. I am SO glad that I am planning on camping there.

From what the lady at katmailand said, they have few delays on their flights from King Salmon to/from Brooks Lodge. Maybe the anticipated delays are on the flights out of Homer. I will only have about 1 hour in King Salmon between arriving from Brooks Lodge and departing to Anchorage. But that 'airport' is only a room she said and it should be plenty of time. Katmailand has been extremely quick in responding to my questions/reservation inquiry.

One more question - you are so helpful - are you much of a photographer? If so, do you take a tripod with you when you go? I didn't take a tripod last month to Denali. Might have been nice but wasn't tragic. I just didn't have room for it.

Your replies to bunduo and the timing of me reading about Katmai all happened so fast. I can't believe I am planning another AK trip already.

PS I took my first Alaskan cruise last month. Actually I liked it a lot. But there is so much you can do apart from the cruise. Maybe 2008 will be frequent flyer miles to Gustavus and Anchorage ?!

Thanks again.

John

Thanks a LOT for your reply. Actually on the return from King Salmon I am only in Anchorage for 6 hours. My "stop" in Anchorage (e.g. Denali) is on the front end and my "end destination" is King Salmon. So my plan will work. I actually have it all booked - just need to pay by tomorrow otherwise it gets cancelled. And the 6 hour layover on the return is perfect since I will be leaving some of my luggage in Anchorage and will need to repack.

I figure I will be able to do this entire trip including car rental, etc. for not much more than what most airlines ask just for the day trip from Anchorage to Brooks Falls ($575 round trip for that flight).

Great planning and good timing. Glad to see some creativity on this board. Too many take the standard approach.

So they limit your time on the viewing platform to 15 minutes during the day? Probably hard to get great photos that way if it is so crowded. I am SO glad that I am planning on camping there.

Depends on the crowds. If it is packed, yes, they limit the times on the platforms.

One more question - you are so helpful - are you much of a photographer? If so, do you take a tripod with you when you go? I didn't take a tripod last month to Denali. Might have been nice but wasn't tragic. I just didn't have room for it.

Thanks for the compliment. I take HORRIBLE pictures. DH takes pretty good pictures but we are not really photographers. Have a nice digital, but the best memories are in my head.

John,

Enjoy your trip. We leave again for business, fishing and bears on Tuesday. And I finally am going to get to stay in the summer place we bought.

Gina

Out of curiosity - just wondering what you consider the standard approach.

I am curious what Gina's answer will be. My guess is that it refers to me using the same number of miles to add Katmai NP to my frequent flyer ticket that it does just to fly to Anchorage. I have read many posts on this board about people using FF tickets to get to Alaska. Granted, since this is a cruise website not just AK travel site, what I am doing would not work for most people cruising AK. Delta does not allow both a stop and an open jaw with their frequent flyer tickets (one or the other). So you couldn't do my flight itinerary and return from Vancouver for example.

I am curious what Gina's answer will be. My guess is that it refers to me using the same number of miles to add Katmai NP to my frequent flyer ticket that it does just to fly to Anchorage. I have read many posts on this board about people using FF tickets to get to Alaska. Granted, since this is a cruise website not just AK travel site, what I am doing would not work for most people cruising AK. Delta does not allow both a stop and an open jaw with their frequent flyer tickets (one or the other). So you couldn't do my flight itinerary and return from Vancouver for example.

Yes, part of my "creativity" comment was based on your use of FF miles. Lots of people don't realize that they can take in ANC and one other- Fairbanks, Nome, Barrow, Prudhoe, etc. etc. for the same miles as RT lower 48 to ANC. And a whole lot don't realize that Milesaver FC is available for the same or less miles than an anytime award ticket.

Example: Milesaver Coach to Alaska (25,000 miles) are hard to come by for lots of people. So if they really want to use miles, they have to spend 50,000 for an "anytime" award. Hardly ANYONE books Milesaver FC as an award (per the AA EXP desk). But Milesaver FC is only 45,000 miles (AA/AS). Not that FC going to Alaska is any great shakes (757 service on AA, 737 service on AS), but for less miles, I'll sure take the priority security lines, slightly larger space, meal and free drinks.

But part of my comment was getting yourself to King Salmon, booking the campsite from the NPS, and NOT doing some kind of "tour". You spent a whole lot less money than most and will probably enjoy your trip even more.

Just too many go to Alaska, never think about chartering a plane (not as expensive as some think-especially if there are 4/6) or renting one of the "gravel road" cars-just go the standard route/tours. A night in Denali, a night in Anchorage (not my favorite), transfer via the train or cruise ship transfer, then board the ship. Never really get to see the "off the beaten path" stuff. I guess it's just my idea of "stopping to smell the roses". So many, especially those on cruisetours, just get to see the "touristy" stuff. I kinda feel sorry for them. They spent soooo much money and missed some of the best of Alaska.

We did Brooks Falls in Katmai with Rusts Flying Service last July... saw a LOT of bears. The entire adventure exceeded my expectations! If I were to do it again, I might consider spending the night in the park.

Yes, part of my "creativity" comment was based on your use of FF miles. Lots of people don't realize that they can take in ANC and one other- Fairbanks, Nome, Barrow, Prudhoe, etc. etc. for the same miles as RT lower 48 to ANC. And a whole lot don't realize that Milesaver FC is available for the same or less miles than an anytime award ticket.

We are using FF miles on American for our cruise/land trip in June 2007. While we've made use of stopovers in the past when using AA miles, we didn't for this trip. I originally considered flying to Calgary to spend a few days in the Canadian Rockies before flying to Vancouver to board the ship. I decided that the Canadian Rockies deserved more than 3 days, so that will have to wait for another vacation. We'll spend 3 days in Vancouver pre-cruise and 7 days (9 if I can persuade my DH to add a few more days) touring the interior afterwards. I never thought about flying to Barrow/Nome/Prudhoe as part of our FF reservation, but we'll drive to Fairbanks and maybe do the fly/drive day trip to the Arctic Circle.

I had all but one flight on hold - just waiting for Alaska Airlines to open their bookings for 2007 - then went on vacation. I checked AA online midway through the trip, saw that Alaska Airlines was booking for next June, so called AA and learned that the coach seats on Alaska Airlines from Anchorage to either Seattle or Chicago were already GONE! :rolleyes: Had to book first class seats, but I had been considering it even before that became our only option.

Just too many go to Alaska, never think about chartering a plane (not as expensive as some think-especially if there are 4/6) or renting one of the "gravel road" cars-just go the standard route/tours. A night in Denali, a night in Anchorage (not my favorite), transfer via the train or cruise ship transfer, then board the ship. Never really get to see the "off the beaten path" stuff. I guess it's just my idea of "stopping to smell the roses". So many, especially those on cruisetours, just get to see the "touristy" stuff. I kinda feel sorry for them. They spent soooo much money and missed some of the best of Alaska.

I think you and Budget Queen are cut from the same cloth. She is a big one for independent travel as well. Me three:D I read post after post on this board about how the cruise lines shuffle people around, how s/he didn't get as much time at Denali as they expected, how McKinley Princess Lodge is nowhere near Denali, etc, etc. I just prefer the "off the beaten path" stuff more. Sounds like NancyIL makes it at least four:)

John

Archived