Katmia National Park - comments?

bunduo

We did Brooks Falls in Katmai with Rusts Flying Service last July... saw a LOT of bears. The entire adventure exceeded my expectations! If I were to do it again, I might consider spending the night in the park.

I looked into their service. But once I pursued the miles option and realized I could get so close with my miles, I took that route. Were you at Brooks Falls for several hours? Just stayed viewing the bears? Did you do any hiking near there? I guess there is one hiking trail very close. Did you go on a cruise before/after Brooks Falls?

I am also planning on the Valley of 10,000 Smokes tour one day.

Sorry for so many questions. Greatam was the only one up to this point who has been there and commented on it. Thanks for any input. Not much is talked about Katmai here or elsewhere since it seems so remote and few people go there, especially not combining this with a cruise (I won't be cruising this time).

I think you and Budget Queen are cut from the same cloth. She is a big one for independent travel as well. Me three:D I read post after post on this board about how the cruise lines shuffle people around, how s/he didn't get as much time at Denali as they expected, how McKinley Princess Lodge is nowhere near Denali, etc, etc. I just prefer the "off the beaten path" stuff more. Sounds like NancyIL makes it at least four:)

John

When I see posts from people asking about cruisetours, I am tempted to say something like, "Alaska is in the US.....people speak English there and drive on the right side of the road!" I do understand their feelings, however, because at one point I panicked and went through "too many land options to choose" overload. I even started a thread about how the cruisetours were starting to look good! I have since calmed down (vacationing in Colorado helped!), and am enjoying learning more about all our options for a GREAT trip to Alaska!

I looked into their service. But once I pursued the miles option and realized I could get so close with my miles, I took that route. Were you at Brooks Falls for several hours? Just stayed viewing the bears? Did you do any hiking near there? I guess there is one hiking trail very close. Did you go on a cruise before/after Brooks Falls?

I am also planning on the Valley of 10,000 Smokes tour one day.

Sorry for so many questions. Greatam was the only one up to this point who has been there and commented on it. Thanks for any input. Not much is talked about Katmai here or elsewhere since it seems so remote and few people go there, especially not combining this with a cruise (I won't be cruising this time).

We had tons of questions while planning this as well. We flew into Anchorage a few days before our cruise out of Whittier. We did Rust's the first full day there. The Ranger at Katmai said there were about 70 bears out and about in the area. Our main goal was to see bears catch salmon from atop the waterfall.. it really was incredible. The main viewing platform was busy, but we had plenty of time and saw plenty. There was also another platform that wasn't busy at all... and then there are walking trails. We saw bears everywhere we went. Here are the photos, if you want to see. The pilot was great - gave us a lot of good info to/from the location. Spending the night there would be amazing. I can imagine you would see even more in the early morning and evening hours. It was a great way to start our trip! Enjoy your trip! (It's impossible NOT to enjoy a trip to Alaska).

I'd love to do the Valley of 10,000 Smokes.. maybe next time!

Thanks Cathy. Great photos. Now I am wondering if camping there is a good idea:confused: But they wouldn't let you camp there if it was not safe, so I feel OK. But those bears just seemed to wander - right in front of you at one point! I am so excited and the trip is 10 months away!!

John

Thanks Cathy. Great photos. Now I am wondering if camping there is a good idea:confused: But they wouldn't let you camp there if it was not safe, so I feel OK. But those bears just seemed to wander - right in front of you at one point! I am so excited and the trip is 10 months away!!

John

John-

I think the only place you're protected from the bears is the boardwalk to the platform and the platform itself. Before they let you loose in the Park, you have to attend a Bear Orientation School. They tell you what to do on the trails, and what to do if you enounter a bear.

To be honest, at first I was kind of nervous walking on the trail when it was just by DH and me. We encountered one lady who was freaked out by seeing a bear on the trail - she ran inside an outhouse. But, the Rangers say they haven't had any problems. The bears are so focused on the salmon that they probably wouldn't go out of their way to attack one of us. The mom and cubs we encountered were pretty close. We were talking to a Park employee when the bears came into our area. We were near a building, so we just slowly backed into the building.

If I were to spend the night there in one of the cabins, I don't know if I would have the nerve to go to the outhouse in the middle of the night:eek:. I know there is someplace for tenters (I think it's Katmai, but I'm not sure), where the area is protected by an electric barrier that keeps the bears out.

It really was a thrilling experience. The first time I saw one of the bears we were on the boardwalk, and a bear seemed to come out of nowhere with her cubs. She had a fish in her mouth and the cubs were following close behind. Hearing the sound of her breathing and sensing her power definitely got my heart racing a bit.

I'm very glad we did it!

If I were to spend the night there in one of the cabins, I don't know if I would have the nerve to go to the outhouse in the middle of the night:eek:. I know there is someplace for tenters (I think it's Katmai, but I'm not sure), where the area is protected by an electric barrier that keeps the bears out.

Thanks again for your posts. Yes, Katmai has a campground and that is what I will be doing - camping. I just can't bring myself to pay $200/night or whatever fairly high rate it is for a cabin when I can pay $8/night for camping. Plus, I will be camping at Denali also so I will have all the equipment with me already. The electric fence around the campground would give me some sense of security. Maybe it will be a false sense. :)

CSloan

FANTASTIC pictures. I wish I could take pictures. I have almost the same camera, but mine are all jiggly.

John,

You will be fine camping out. I would worry more about it in Denali than at Brooks. The Denali bears are NOT used to seeing people up close. And they have to search for food, where the Katmai bears have all the food they need. You will be just fine and have the time of your life.

You will be fine camping out. I would worry more about it in Denali than at Brooks. The Denali bears are NOT used to seeing people up close. And they have to search for food, where the Katmai bears have all the food they need. You will be just fine and have the time of your life.

Two months ago when my friend and I were hiking near Fish Creek in Denali, just 10 minutes into our hike we saw a huge grizzly just about 50 yards away. Fortunately he didn't see us and we moved away quickly. But most people at Denali don't get out of the busses. And I haven't seen bears near Wonder Lake campground - usually they are further east in the park.

You are right though, the bears at Brooks Falls are so intent on what they are doing and probably realize people are near them all summer. Still, having an electric fence would be nice! I checked and they are charging about $275/person/night for the cabins - no meals. That is outrageous - at least for someone like me! Meals are $12/breakfast, $18/lunch and $28/dinner. I plan on bringing most of my own food. I think the shower for $7 and whatever price they charge for a can of propane gas will be my best investments during my time there! My entire 11 day trip is going to cost about what they want for three nights in the cabin at Brooks Lodge for one person!

I am still marveling at how relatively easily I got frequent flyer tickets, all the way to King Salmon and all the way from a small town in central MN (meaning no $10+/day parking in Minneapolis - free parking at that airport). And all for only $20 + 45,000 miles!

Archived