new to RCCL

We are considering a cruise with RCCL next June for celebration of our daughter's graduation from high school. We are looking at Western or Southern Caribbean. We'll have several family members from several states joining us. We've cruised before on Carnival, Celebrity and the now defunct Premier, and are ready for a change. Any suggestions from fellow cruisers on itinerary and/or ship to consider? :)

I would recommend any of the voyager class ships (Voyager, Adventure, Navigator, Explorer and Mariner). The ships are very large and have plenty of activites for young and old. It may be a toss up on the western or southern caribbean, as both areas have nice ports. Ports on the southern route may have fewer ships (don't hold me to that) as not as many ships go there. Especially in the summer months when you are figuring on going. Also keep in mind that if you do the southern and are only going for 7 days then you will have to go out of San Juan, which can be costly as far as flying. Also, from what I have seen, the southern is more expensive then the western. Hope that this info helps. If you are interested in looking at some pictures of a voyager class ship, I have some photos from our Mariner cruise last year. We were supposed to go to the western but because of a hurricane we were diverted to an eastern. Enjoy your trip.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wpspoth/my_photos

Just a thought - while I love southern caribbean itineraries, they mostly depart from San Juan, which can be more expensive and limiting for a flight perspective. You may want to target an easy departure port for all of you to access and then plan from there.

Can not miss the mark on any RCI ship. If you want the larger, go with Voyager class. It has a wonderful promonade where it feels like you are on a street with cafes. I just love that! The Radiance line is classic and beautiful with more oceanview from glass. It has a rock climbing wall too, and I am pretty sure mini golf and self leveling pool tables. The voyager class have the in line skating as well as the rock climbing and mini golf and ice skating.I would go with the best deal ( and check airlines too)for the cabin and the flight and just enjoy! Then book another cruise for the other areas. LOL! You will love RCI. We have been on CCL (3 times) and in October will be our third RCI and we could not be happier!

For families, Voyager class ships are a pretty good bet. Lots of activities, a wide choice of entertainment and at least specialty restaurant.

While IMO the food is not as good as on Celebrity, there is something to please every one.

Mariner departs from Port Canaveral and there are generally good fares and frequent flights into Orlando, which is a much nicer airport than Miami.

but the Ultra Voyager named Freedom & next April will premiere Liberty so that is even more to do with Flowrider surfing, a first a sea. We are joking that in 2009 when Genesis arrives it will have Nascar racing on it on its own deck.

Love S Carib then I vote for W Carib. East isn't that great to me. I'd take Bermuda for that but I want at least a week with 2 ports there.

I see you're in NC but I don't know where the rest of your family is coming from. If you'd consider Bermuda and don't mind a "smaller" ship, you could come up here to Virginia and try the Empress out of Norfolk. It might save you all a lot in airfare and hassles.

Cheryl

>

so that is even more to do with Flowrider surfing, a first a sea.

>

Let's be honest now. RCL has made a big deal out of this and I see a few people are too - but this is one attraction, the chances are that it is not going to be something many people do - or often. But, due to the size of the ship, you are still going to have quite a few people (and kids) queueing up for it. As I understand it, you have maybe 2 people going at one time - which means you are going to be waiting on a line. And, how much time will you get on it - maybe a minute or two at once? I have a feeling it is the kind of thing most people are not going to have patience for

I think they are making a much bigger deal out of the Flowrider than it really is. Maybe some people that have been on Freedom can comment on the Flowrider - because I really don't see any/many reviews that mention it.

Here's what I found...

Stud after stud, and an occasional wahine wanna-be, attacked the surf simulator with confidence, the first time anyway. The most successful among them was upright for all of 10 seconds. Those who did the worst against the rush of water, which was just about everyone, lost part of their bathing suits and were sent crashing up the cushioned incline in rather unfortunate positions.

All that after a 20-minute wait. And once you were down, you had to go to the end of the line.

Howard

Archived