Just Back-Glory July 29-Aug.5

Helen

Just back today and have several comments, suggestions...but tired and will post tomorrow. In the meantime, if anyone has questions, ask away. We tried to check out everything. This was Western itinerary so for those of you going ask away!

Helen,

Hope you had a wonderful time. We were on Glory 2 years ago on Eastern and loved her. I am thinking about booking her for a family cruise (me, dh, mom, dad, brother, & sis-in-law) for Western. Are you by any chance going to post the capers on-line?

Interested to hear what you did in Freeport and Costa Maya. We just booked this ship for the Western.

I am guessing that you meant Nassau and not Freeport.

Hi all,

Feeling a little better now. Would not recommend driving 11 hrs. home after a cruise but we all voted and we were ready to head home. Having done all the wash and unpacked, I feel like it may have been a dream!

First of all, I will say (if I already haven't) that we picked this ship because of the itinerary. We had not been to Belize or Costa Maya and really wanted to see both. We were not disappointed.

Belize is a very poor country and I strongly recommend that you book an excursion. If you don't, you should stay on board because there is very little to see at the port besides people begging for you to to buy their wares. We gave several children money going back on the ship. I just hate to see children having to do that. We booked the Zip-line and cave tubing through Nacho and Cynthia (you can find their web site under the Belize board or I'll be glad to post it). They are not the only private tour to do both but I will say for the money it was well worth it. We were picked up at the dock shortly after 9 and the 5 of us, DH and 3 sons (30, 21, and 16) went by Van to Jaguar Paw in the rain forest and made the hike to the zip line route. I am 51 and in good shape and I can tell you it was not for the weak! We were the first people there and our guides were wonderful. We did 6-8 (I've already forgotten) lines and it was beautiful! It drizzled the whole time and made for the perfect temp.and the guides pointed out all the flora and insects along the way. After that, it was onto the caves and another great experience. The water was deep this week so didn't hardly paddle. Also by ourselves except for 1 guide and Cynthia and not to forget Lucky, a german sheppard who followed us the whole way. Glad the guide told us before I saw 2 red eyes just above the water line! Seems the dog enjoys following the groups! Had a full course lunch afterwards and saw a butterfly garden before the drive back. Nacho drove all around pointing out areas of interest and telling us personal stories. The highlight of our cruise!

Costa Maya was another pleasant port. The port is very nice with a wonderful pool and beach with shops right off the ship. We took the bus to Majahual ($5 per person round trip) and enjoyed the day having lunch, drinking the local beer ($10 for a bucket of 6 ) and swimming. Great deals if you like to haggle and we had a great spot on the beach. You can also pay to go off snorkling there ($20) or wave runners (I think $40 for 30 min.but not sure if I remember. Another great day.

Forgot Cozumel which was our first port on Mon. We have been there several times and rented a jeep and drove around. Ended up at Paradise beach (been there before but the boys hadn't). You can use their lounge chairs and umbrellas for free but water sports (snorkeling, mats, trampoline, igloo, kayak, etc,,) is $8 for the day. They wait on you without hounding and have great drinks. If you want lunch though, I recommend walking next door to ?San Francisco beach. Better food and is steps away. Another great day. Went back into town and did some shopping.

Nassau is Nassau. I would highly recommend getting on the #10 Jitney (their local bus service). It costs a dollar one way and takes you all over the island. We have been to the Atlantis so chose to get off at cable beach (the Radisson) and had lunch there, used their beach, chairs, pool, and noone said anything to us. Again, a perfect day.

Now, the ship. Please don't flame me but my husband and I prefer a smaller ship. We went for the stops and because we took our sons. I am not saying I'm disappointed though. We had a wonderful room. 7444 on the very back. Loved it. The view was spectacular. Everyone on the back balconies was wonderful and we enjoyed talking to each other every afternoon, it was like our own club back there. We had a good laugh at the expense of the cruisers who missed the ship in Nassau and payed what I'm sure was good money to catch a speedboat and caught up with us in the nick of time! Don't be late. We watched first hand what happens!

Our table at dinner was also aft and looked out over the ocean. Wonderful! Our waiters Yonnie and Ono (Sp?) were first rate and we didn't miss a night because of them. The food was above par and we all got different entrees which some of loved and others didn't. If you don't just ask for something else and they will bring it. We never lacked for food. I did find the red sail just like cafeteria food and the grand buffet having been there was lackluster to me. Like I said though, we never lacked for something to eat. Fish and chips was good, the same with the deli. My DH and I don't eat Sushi but our boys enjoyed it. We had room service for breakfast just about every morning. It was on time and gives you the basics.

There were TONS of kids on board. The first sea day I was a little upset because I saw food and cups on different levels just left on stairs. Maybe I just happen to be there at the right time. There was a glass broken on one of the steps to the pool deck and youn boy climbed up ahead of me putting his hands on the steps and sliced them opened. Couldn't find his parents or a crew member. Other than that I didn't find the teens to be obnoxious or disrespectful in any way, just a LOT of them. At night they seemed to be looking for more to do. The Ivory (I think that's right) seemed to be empty at night and I don't know why they couldn't designate one club for them after 10:30 and one for adults such as the White Heat. They seemed to be wandering the ship after that. Disappointed that there was NO piano bar singer as we have enjoyed that in the past. Just canned music with noone in there.

I feel like I'm saying TOO much so if you have any specific questions just ask. I'll be glad to help. We enjoy every cruise and have been on 5 different lines. There is always something to enjoy! Helen

This will be our second time on the Glory. We have never cruised in Aug. The kids should be back in school by the 26th don't you think? Although a lot of people are posting they are bringing their kids. That is so sad about that child cutting his hands like that. Poor kid. That beach in Costa Maya, where did you get that bus? Wasn't it really really hot there?

If I can be so bold to ask, how much was the car rental in Coz? Is the island easy to get around? How are the roads?

As far as the Jeep rental, it was $70 for the day including insurance. I thought that was a good deal for the 5 of us. The main road (just one and it circles all around the island) is in pretty good shape. We were there just befor the hurricane last yr. and although the damage was severe, they seem to be in fairly good shape. Paradise beach looked good. A building was gone but they rebuilt everything and planted new palms. They've really bounced back.

I'm not great with downloads but we do have all the capers and if anyone needs them I will try to post.

We just got back from the Glory also, and I posted a review on the member reviews.

I would agree with the review in this thread, but we didn't run into too many kids. The ones we did see were usually with a Camp Carnival group and seemed to be having a good time and well behaved.

This may have something to do with our cabin, which was on Panorama deck, where we had one of only two quad cabins on the entire deck.

Anyway, we didn't have any kid problems.

Ha StiVo you beat me to it!!! Isn't Bob awesome? lol can't wait for 9/9!!!

The Ivory bar is a cigar bar Helen so they probably wouldn't make that a teen place at night, but wasn't there a teen disco or something? We sailed in February last time and there were no kids that I can remember.

Also if you guys like fine dining the Emerald room is well worth the 30.00 dollar a person charge, it's excellent food and wonderful service.

We never saw anything broke or left laying around when we were on, however, even in the finest hotels you will see where people break things or leave things laying around, the staff are human and can't be all knowing , all seeing. I guess I'd be more upset that the person that broke the glass didn't at least call the desk and give them a heads up so no one would get cut.

Cheers everyone and happy sailing

Archived