Anyone cruising to Iceland?

Irne

We seem to be the only ones considering cruising to Iceland (and some of Norway's fjords) next year!!!! I don't seem to find any comment for this particular itinerary. Grand Princess has a nice 12 days cruise from Southampton. I'd appreciate any comment on this itinerary/destination if any of you took a similar cruise or any of you heard anything about this itinerary. Thanks! Irne

I took a transatlantic cruise on Crstal Cruise in the Fall of 2004 which started in London. It included Iceland and Greenland along with a couple of stops in Canada, and Rhode Island. It was a great cruise with many sea days.

Keith

I took a transatlantic cruise on Crstal Cruise in the Fall of 2004 which started in London. It included Iceland and Greenland along with a couple of stops in Canada, and Rhode Island. It was a great cruise with many sea days.

Keith

Thank you for your answer, Keith. It sounds like a nice itinerary. Do you remember by any chance whether the sea was particularly rough? Princess goes to Iceland in June and I'm concerned about the long sections of Atlantic waters between Norway and Iceland and between Iceland and England.... Thanks. Irne

Irne, I remember that we had one night with fairly choppy sea but overall we had nice weather. The day we were in Iceland, it was very rainy but by afternoon it had cleared up. I would definitely recommend bringing a waterproof jacket with you. On the other hand, we stopped at Greenland and it was a beautiful sunny day. That's weather for you, very unpredictable.

We are getting ready to go on a different cruise at the end of August that will include the Norway Fjords.

I have sailed on the Grand Princess multiple times and I thought that overall the ship did well in the seas.

Keith

Irne, I remember that we had one night with fairly choppy sea but overall we had nice weather. The day we were in Iceland, it was very rainy but by afternoon it had cleared up. I would definitely recommend bringing a waterproof jacket with you. On the other hand, we stopped at Greenland and it was a beautiful sunny day. That's weather for you, very unpredictable.

We are getting ready to go on a different cruise at the end of August that will include the Norway Fjords.

I have sailed on the Grand Princess multiple times and I thought that overall the ship did well in the seas.

Keith

Doing Grand Princess Southampton Sept 2 2007 to Norway, Faroe Islands Iceland Greenland Newfoundland, to New York (Sept 18th)

Actually I will be on board for the cruise before that also which is a round Britain cruise 12 days.

My E mail is rafex1@earthlink.net should you want to talk.

Lynn

Ex Brit, in US since 77, FL since 90

Try asking any questions and doing searches for ports on this itinerary on the Western Europe message board - there's lots of info there and probably more posters reading that board who have had experience and in that particular area of the world.

The North Sea is notorious for bad weather - we had some dreadful weather coming home on our first Norwegian trip but have had wonderful crossings the other three times.

We've also had some choppy times in the Norwegian Sea, but nothing dramatic. At least not for QE2, which will be better at at dealing with bad weather than these modern apartment block ships.

Needless to say the North Atlantic can be horrific. Or dead calm.

The long and the short of it is that cruising in that part of the world will open you up to the possibility of bad weather.

But the destinations make it worthwhile! Iceland is a lovely country, although I've not been there by sea. Norway too.

My husband and I are taking the Grand Princess on this date, and we're really looking forward to seeing Iceland, Greenland, and the other stops it makes. We liked this itinerary best for the transatlantic cruise as it doesn't have that many consecutive sea days. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say about this cruise.

We seem to be the only ones considering cruising to Iceland (and some of Norway's fjords) next year!!!! I don't seem to find any comment for this particular itinerary. Grand Princess has a nice 12 days cruise from Southampton. I'd appreciate any comment on this itinerary/destination if any of you took a similar cruise or any of you heard anything about this itinerary. Thanks! Irne

We have booked for the North Cape and Norwegian Fjords on Grand Princess sailing from Southampton on 16th July 07. I have already begun a Roll Call for this sailing which can be found under Grand Princess' section. This is the only sailing which Princess are doing to that area next year. The itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 Sail from Southampton

Day 2 At sea

Day 3 Stavanger arr.7a.m depart 4.00pm

Day 4 Hellesylt

We have booked for the North Cape and Norwegian Fjords on Grand Princess sailing from Southampton on 16th July 07. I have already begun a Roll Call for this sailing which can be found under Grand Princess' section. This is the only sailing which Princess are doing to that area next year. The itinerary is as follows:

Day 2 At sea

Day 4 Hellesylt

Day 2 At sea

Day 4 Hellesylt

Day 2 At sea

Day 3 Stavanger (7a.m.-4p.m)

Day 4 Hellesylt (8a.m-10a.m)

Geiranger (12noon-6p.m)

Day 5 Trondheim (8a.m.-5.p.m)

Day 6 At sea

Day 7 Honningsvag(North Cape) 8a.m.-5p.m)

Day 8 Tromso (8a.m.-5p.m)

Day 9 At sea

Day 10 Flam

• 3 weeks later...

You could look at the QE2 trip to Iceland next June (out of Southampton) - 14 days with 3 stops in iceland (Reykjavik, Isafjordur and Akureyri) and 7 in Norway - I am interested myself, so no nicking the single cabins!:D

One question to anyone who has been - I can see the temperatures in June are low (Compared to UK at same time) - but is there any actual ice on the ground? - would there be types of shore excursions to avoid in order to avoid walking on ice?

I had a nasty fall on ice a few years back, badly breaking my arm and am extremely nervous when it comes to walking anywhere slippery.

Thanks

Karen

Hi,

I have sailed on two Princess itineraries that have included Iceland and Greenland. They have been my absolute favorites, and will be thinking of returning to this area again in 2008. On my first go in 2001, we left from Copenhagen and cruised the British Isles, Iceland, Greenland prior to returning to Boston. We tendered into Reykavik, cruised Prins Christian Sund and tendered into a small fishing village in Greenland. The crew commented on how rare it was to see all three of these as weather dictates if it is possible. On my second go in 2003, we tendered into Reykavik and cruised Prins Christian successfully. Due to a severe breakout of the norovirus, we then headed directly for New York and arrived a day early. We were told the weather would have prevented our stop in Greeland as we were almost flown home from Iceland as they had considered ending the cruise there. Seeing the icebergs in Prins Christian Sund is one of the most wonderful sights there is. I have a picture of an iceberg that is easily 1/4 the size of the old Crown Princess. The glaciers in this area are not as large or as pretty as Alaska's but the icebergs make up for it. It is a must see for anyone who loves cruising. The fishing village in Greenland was wonderful. It had one small gift shop and the line for checkout snaked along the inside and very soon was completely outside the building. I treasure all of my gifts that were bought there and certainly hope to be able to return. The weather was cold in late August and mid September time frames. Sometimes the seas were heavy, but that is to be expected and the ships handled themselves fine. The decks have been closed off completely due to bad weather, but it usually only lasted a day or two at most. Do not miss this experience!

Archived