Something to do in Tortola?

CruiserJoJo

We wll be on the Norwegian Spirit and stopping in Tortola from 7AM to 3PM. Can anyone tell me of something to do in Tortola and where the tour can be picked up? Has anyone done a Tortola highlights tour? We are not interested in going over to Virgin Gorda to the Bath's because of the short amount of time we will be in port. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

We went to a very nice beach. I think it was called Cane Gardens (not sure) I really enjoyed it there. The water was so clear and there was beautiful fish swimming around us. I want to go back.

Take a hi-lights tour and your bus will give you about an hour at the beach (CANE GARDEN BAY BEACH )Bus takes you to more hi-lights and then back to ship. It's a good tour if you don't have alot of time. I think round trip was about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like sailing, there is a catamaran sailing that will take you to Norman Island, which was really very interesting. The crew hoists the sails once you get out of the harbor and you sail to where the caves are for your first stop where you can snorkel and also check out the caves. They will then take you to the other side of Norman Island where a zodiac will take you to the the beach for another 45 minutes. The sails are then hoisted again for the trip back to Tortola. BTW, they serve rum punch and punch throughout the tour.

Don't cast away the trip to the baths - perhaps your best option. Picked up at the ship, nice ferry to Virgin Gorda, and time to climb through he rocks. I have done it twice with limited port time and it was great.

I second that Shoreguy The Baths are most certainly worth seeing and there should be enough time to do it. If nervous about time take the Ships tour and you are guarenteed to not be left behind.

Leona

DW and I did a 4 X 4 Safari booked thru HAL. The trip took about 3.5 hours and cost $79.

We met the driver at the end of the pier - others that joined us were from a different ship and just booked the tour on the spot.

The tour used an over sized Toyota pickup. The 6 of us sat side-ways in the back.

The driver was nice enough - driving all over the island, telling us of history and economic problems.

We did stop at a beach for a short dip and some rum punch.

The view from the top of the hill was unbelievable - beautiful.

It was the view close up that made you question the political priorities.

Enjoy

J

Last year my mom and I were in Tortola - just wandered off the ship, and the market at the pier - a Safari type tour guide offered us a tour for $15.00... we took it - there was probably seating for 20 or so, he took us all over the island - stopped for photo taking. We stopped at a beach on the other end of the island - there was a big Tiki bar, shopping.. we then pressed on and stopped at a local market - where our driver bought us some mangos - and gave everyone a taste. Cats, goats and all kinds of animals were just running around freely. Needless to say this was a great adventure.. took about 4 hours, and was only supposed to be 2, but we had the best time.. and the best price..(Of course we paid our driver more than $15.00) Mom says it was the best part of the cruise for her. Tortola is truely a beautiful place.. Enjoy!!

Tortola, British Virgin Islands

There is no need to prearrange any excursions here. Taxis line up at the pier to take you anywhere you want to go. Several passengers hopped into taxis and got the exact same tour that other passengers paid double for through the ship. Our sights were set on visiting Virgin Gorda. We got off the ship just after 8:00 am and walked 15 minutes to the red-roofed ferry terminal off to the left of the pier. Speedy's and Smith's both offer service to Virgin Gorda. However, only Speedy's could get us back before our 3:00pm departure. So we caught the 9:00 am Speedy's Ferry over and the 12:30 pm ferry back. Cost was $25 per person roundtrip, including roundtrip Speedy's Taxi service from the Virgin Gorda docks to The Baths. (You will not want to attempt to walk to The Baths from the dock). We brought our mask and snorkel with us. Rentals are available at The Baths. We sat upstairs in the open air seating atop the ferry. Cool winds and great views. 30-35 minute ride each way followed by a 10-minute taxi to The Baths. There is a $3.00 (adults) and $2.00 (children) entrance fee to The Baths which are part of the BVU National Parks Trust. The 5-minute walk down to The Baths was rocky and uneven. At the bottom, single-use-only lockers can be rented for $2.50 each. They are large enough to hold a beach bag or backpack. The Baths are an incredibly fun experience. Here is a detailed map of The Baths at Virgin Gorda. The Baths were really fun to explore. Highly recommend water shoes, a water camera, and a swimsuit. A beautiful beach with crystal clear waters awaits visitors on the other side of the rock maze. While not the greatest snorkeling site for fish, the coral formations were interesting. The water was nice and clear. We would have liked to stay another couple of hours, and look forward to another visit. Highly recommended!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

My DH and I will be in Tortola from 3 pm till midnight on HAL's Noordam this December. We originally booked the Virgin Gorda Baths excursion, but one of the members on our Role Call pointed out that in Dec. the sun should be setting around 5:30. Soooo....this is a long round about way of asking what my DH and I should do in Tortola LATE afternoon? We don't want to get caught at the baths in the dark, and sunsets aren't THAT important consitering how many we have seen where we live. Any advice?

We, too, were only in Tortola from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, and were concerned about doing the Baths in that short of time. I was so glad we decided to go there. It's absolutely beautiful! We took a taxi over to Speedy's Ferry service ($25 round trip), and were at the Virgin Gorda dock within 1/2 hour. We then took an open-air taxi to the Baths. The water and the views were breathtaking. The only downside were the jelly fish. Many got stung that day :mad: . Make sure you stop at the bar at the top of the Baths--they have a swimming pool and the best pina colada I've ever had :D ! The view from the top is unbelievable. If you take the 12:30 taxi back to Speedy's, you will have enough time to get back to the ship. We were so sorry we couldn't stay in Tortola longer, and would love to return!! P.S. We saved a lot of $$$ going to the Baths on our own. Some family members did the ship's excursion, which was much more expensive, and their ferry ride was very slow going. We were able to spend more time there doing it on our own.

We, too, were only in Tortola from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, and were concerned about doing the Baths in that short of time. I was so glad we decided to go there. It's absolutely beautiful! We took a taxi over to Speedy's Ferry service ($25 round trip), and were at the Virgin Gorda dock within 1/2 hour. We then took an open-air taxi to the Baths. The water and the views were breathtaking. The only downside were the jelly fish. Many got stung that day :mad: . Make sure you stop at the bar at the top of the Baths--they have a swimming pool and the best pina colada I've ever had :D ! The view from the top is unbelievable. If you take the 12:30 taxi back to Speedy's, you will have enough time to get back to the ship. We were so sorry we couldn't stay in Tortola longer, and would love to return!! P.S. We saved a lot of $$$ going to the Baths on our own. Some family members did the ship's excursion, which was much more expensive, and their ferry ride was very slow going. We were able to spend more time there doing it on our own.

Thanks for the great info especially about the Pina Colada! Sorry about the jellyfish. I wonder if that is unusual???

What time was the ferry that you took in the morning and how much time did you actually have in the Baths? Would 2 hours be enough time to walk through the Baths, spend some time on the beach and have a Pina Colada at the top?

We, too, were only in Tortola from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, and were concerned about doing the Baths in that short of time.

Aloha Pride's problem with the Baths (and ours as well) is not a short amount of time, since Noordam will be in Tortola for 9 hours, from 3 p.m. to midnight (as opposed to your six hours), but a short amount of daylight. By the time we would get to Virgin Gorda, we'd barely have an hour before sunset. That's why she's asking about late afternoon. We'd like info on that as well. There is some info on this subject on the thread entitled "Tours in Tortola # 2"; but more info here would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
Aloha Pride's problem with the Baths (and ours as well) is not a short amount of time, since Noordam will be in Tortola for 9 hours, from 3 p.m. to midnight (as opposed to your six hours), but a short amount of daylight. By the time we would get to Virgin Gorda, we'd barely have an hour before sunset. That's why she's asking about late afternoon. We'd like info on that as well. There is some info on this subject on the thread entitled "Tours in Tortola # 2"; but more info here would be appreciated.

I'm tempted to tell you to go anyway. It's so beautiful, even the hour would be worth it. Sunset pictures would be spectacular -- I'm jealous. My only caution would be trying to navigate some of those tricky paths, particularly in the caves, in less than ideal lighting. I'd be very careful of that.

My DH and I will be in Tortola from 3 pm till midnight on HAL's Noordam this December. We originally booked the Virgin Gorda Baths excursion, but one of the members on our Role Call pointed out that in Dec. the sun should be setting around 5:30. Soooo....this is a long round about way of asking what my DH and I should do in Tortola LATE afternoon? We don't want to get caught at the baths in the dark, and sunsets aren't THAT important consitering how many we have seen where we live. Any advice?

If you like to drink and dance, then get an early dinner ashore and grab a taxi to the Bomba Shack. Let you driver know you need to be back by 11:00pm. Just make certain that he doesn't drink as much as you do...Yes, he will be hanging out and partying with you.

Bomba's doesn't usually get going until the later hours, but it is always a good time.

vincenzo:)

We went to a very nice beach. I think it was called Cane Gardens (not sure) I really enjoyed it there. The water was so clear and there was beautiful fish swimming around us. I want to go back.

This sounds like a lot of fun. Jett456. Did you walk to the beach??

Archived