More Zuiderdam Room Questions

kellanderson

Anyone stay in VA6004; VA6003 or any of the angle balcony cabins?

Any thoughts or photos would be appreciated.

Thanks

have seen a number of your posts...and it appears you have sailed frequently. The Zuiderdam is a beautiful ship. The Verandah cabins are nice...the SS Suites nicer. (really liked the SS suites since both hubby and I could get ready for dinner at the same time due to the double sinks and the shower/tub and additional shower stall). Do you spend a lot of time in your cabin? If you do, then aft might be the best if you like your private deck. There might be a few cabins not aft that may be slightly bigger, but I doubt that you would notice. She's a beauty...and different...some find her bold colors too much...but we think she's wonderful. Back to cabins...don't get that hung up on it. Select aft or mid-ship. Each has their advantage. We've been in both and frankly, our memories of the cruises don't focus on the position of the cabin! (although we do prefer the aft since the balconies are larger and I spend my evenings out there). But I have had as much fun mid-ship. Just go for it and enjoy the cruise. We love HAL...tried other lines...but come back to HAL due to the client base and service. For us, it's more about the cruise experience in total than the cabin. I shared a mid-ship cabin with my best friend and her daughter on the Oosterdam last year...and we had the time of our life (imagine three women sharing a bathroom!!!). In November, my hubby and I had a cabin aft...and loved it. Again, the experience, not the cabin is key. As long as I have at least a porthole to see the ocean...I'm fine.

Enjoy your cruise. You have seleted a good cruise line...so the rest is easy.

Bon Voyage.

Cass

Since they are in the very front of the ship windy conditions may be an issue...but not sure because I've never been in one. I have seen on these boards that people have mentioned windy conditions in the first several cabins that are forward along the sides of the ship. If you spend alot of time on your balcony you may want to make sure that it won't be too windy. Just a heads up...those cabins are designated as handicapped...they may not assign them to you....unless, of course, you are in need of one. Happy cabin hunting!

Kellanderson: This is the third thread I have seen you start on handicapped cabins.

Both 6003 and 6004 are designated HC cabins.

Obviously you are looking for "more bang for the buck" and trying to find the biggest rooms in each class.

You asked the same question in another thread for SS6108, also an HC cabin.

There are about 28 cabins for HC pax on a Vista ship. They are bigger in size to accommodate a scooter or wheelchair and to provide space to maneuver in the main cabin and bathroom.

There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 900 cabins for able-bodied persons such as yourself. Why not book one?

Capecodtobe,

I hope you never HAVE to have a wheelchair accessible cabin like some of us do. Booking this deprives a person who really needs it from taking a cruise. We cannot go unless we have one....is that true for you? We often find that these cabins are sold out many months or even years ahead, often to non-disabled people like yourself. I hope you are proud of that!

yes we have stayed in 6003; it is a handicapped accessible cabin. may I be so bold as to ask why you singled out those three particular cabins? are you or someone traveling with you handicapped; if so, you would be better posting your question on the disabled thread where you are more likely to find handicapped past passengers like myself who will give you a definitive answer.:)

thank you for your response

you are right about cabin selection- we do spend our evenings and mornings on our verandahs i just want something special-

thank you again for your time

Most of the cabins you mentioned on various posts have been handicap. I think it reasonable to assume you are aiming to get one.

Not trying to beat up on you, but please share with us what you are trying to accomplish?

Why not just book the largest non-handicap cabin you can find?

lighten up oceanwench. take a cruise.

Thanks for your concern.

It's easier to say "lighten up" than to address the real problem ... isn't it?

No, I don't choose to "lighten up" on this issue.

It's something I'm passionate about.

If more AB people were to spend just one day in a wheelchair [or to spend a day dealing with other disabilities] they would see the world in a whole different way.

They'd realize the things that most of us take for granted -- being to use a bathroom, for instance -- are not always accessible to a person with disablities.

And maybe they'd realize that there are about 900 cabins fully accessible to able-bodied folks on the Zuiderdam.

And about 28 that are accessible to people in wheelchairs or with mobility problems.

My dh is a wheelchair user. Many times we are unable to sail on a cruise we see posted because there are no HC cabins available. So if the op is disabled, they should speak to the special services people and reserve a HC cabin.........otherwise, leave it for people who need the grab bars in the bathrooms, ramps to the bathroom, and sufficient space to move around in the cabin with wheelchairs.

Well, I am a very frequent poster, not some newbie who doesn't seem to have a clue, and I'm also disabled, and I get very upset when able bodied persons attempt to book HC cabins because they're larger, or whatever the reason. I know some cruise lines will tell you that if a disabled person wants to cruise that you'll be kicked out of that cabin if you're not disabled, but that's just not the case. Once a cabin is booked, it's off the computer and listed as not available. So if the able bodied book those cabins way in advance of a sailing, they remain booked and unavailable to the disabled. Those of us who are disabled don't have nearly the choices of all you able bodied passengers, and if you book those cabins for selfish reasons, then you could very well be taking away the disabled person's ability to cruise. I just don't get the selfish attitudes of so many people. It's not like you don't have the run of more than 90% of all cruise ships. Now, I'm not saying that those cabins should go empty if a disabled person doesn't book them, but they should not be released to the general population until after final payment dates. Then all you able bodied folks can have at it. But to book those cabins because they're in a good location, have a larger balcony or more room is just downright selfish. I just hope that those of you here who book those cabins without needing it never have to live my life as a disabled person since age 2 and then find that you one day might really need an HC cabin and not find one available because of what you're doing now, as a healthy individual. What they say is sometimes true---what goes around, comes around.

I understand what everyone here is saying, but have an alternate side. We were given 2 HC rooms on a cruise with my family (Family of 4), and once we realized this, (we didn't pick the rooms!), we asked to change and were told ABSOLUTETLY NOT. We tried everything to get into a room that wasn't designated HC, and the cruise line simply would not do it...so it would seem that the cruise line doesn't care, they just want the room filled. But I agree that those who don't need the room, shouldn't be booking the rooms on purpose!

britters I am sure what you experienced did and does happen, but the cruise lines know that those of us who truly need an accessible cabin book it months in advance if we want to have any chance at it. so the cruise lines know that when they have unbooked accessible cabins just a couple of months prior to sailing date, they are pretty well assured they are safe in letting them go. the exception to this might be if someone already booked in an AB cabin has an accident which disables them temporarily and therefore needs an HC. we have been on cruises where people have been moved to an HC cabin on the sailing day to give them an upgrade, but the HC cabin was not needed by a disabled person. :)

Britters, had you booked a guarantee?

Because you said you were "given" two HC cabins ... so I am thinking you did not choose specific cabins.

Sometimes the people who book GTYs get the HC cabins which are left over. As others have said, the HC cabins are typically released to the general public close to the sailing date.

After all ... we wouldn't want *all* those rooms [about 28 on a Vista, if none is booked] going empty! ;)

i just want something special

This tells a WHOLE lot about you. How on earth can you say this in public? You want to take away a cabin from somebody who needs it so you can have "something special" for yourself? This just makes me sad. :(

guaruntees were booked on both carnival trips...and we were not happy to be in these rooms...for those of you who seem to like we were excited about it..... we could'nt figure out why we where there.

This is your original post: "Anyone stay in VA6004; VA6003 or any of the angle balcony cabins?

Any thoughts or photos would be appreciated.

Thanks"

Most of your other posts and threads continually ask about handicap cabins. I am having trouble understanding your curiosity about HC cabins when you "were not happy to be in these rooms."

Perhaps if you just book a balcony guarantee and have them attach a note to it that you will NOT accept a handicap cabin assignment you won't wind up in one.

On the other hand, if you would like to be in an HC cabin, simply book a guarantee and hopefully you will be assigned one when no handicap person needs it. This seems to be the best route for you. You seem to be inordinately "lucky" to get one, so maybe your luck will hold on this booking.

guaruntees were booked on both carnival trips...and we were not happy to be in these rooms...for those of you who seem to like we were excited about it..... we could'nt figure out why we where there.

This thread is about the Zuiderdam. You specifically asked about two HC cabins and said you were looking for "something special." That has nothing to do with Carnival guarantees. Care to explain yourself?

This is my first time on here so please be patient with me. I find this thread very interesting and hopefully someone can help me out. Am thinking of booking my first cruise on Holland America (Oosterdam) in March to Mexico. Was planning on booking a handcapped room since I do need the bars in the bathroom (for obvious reasons). Since the only thing I need are the bars and a step-in shower, I have very bad knees and can't bend them much. I do not use a wheelchair, only a cane, and would feel badly taking a handicapped room from someone who needs it much more than I. Can anyone tell me how the bathrooms are equiped on this ship. We are hoping to book a VC or VF room.

Thanks

Britters, had you booked a guarantee?

Because you said you were "given" two HC cabins ... so I am thinking you did not choose specific cabins.

Sometimes the people who book GTYs get the HC cabins which are left over. As others have said, the HC cabins are typically released to the general public close to the sailing date.

After all ... we wouldn't want *all* those rooms [about 28 on a Vista, if none is booked] going empty! ;)

My mom called and booked two rooms, she didn't give specific staterooms, just told the agent (w. the cruiseline) what category and the agent selected two rooms on the spot. they happened to be HC rooms. Mom didn't bother to ask specifics since the cabins were located within the area and category we were looking for. It wasn't booked GTY, as we knew, once she hung up the phone what cabins we were in. When we did some further research we found out the we HC and tried to switch, not wanting to take the space from someone who might actually need it. This was more then a couple months in advance...more like 12-18 months in advance...

I just found it odd. The agent never asked if we needed a HC room, my mom never asked for one, and when were assigned two, they wouldn't let us move.

This is my first time on here so please be patient with me. I find this thread very interesting and hopefully someone can help me out. Am thinking of booking my first cruise on Holland America (Oosterdam) in March to Mexico. Was planning on booking a handcapped room since I do need the bars in the bathroom (for obvious reasons). Since the only thing I need are the bars and a step-in shower, I have very bad knees and can't bend them much. I do not use a wheelchair, only a cane, and would feel badly taking a handicapped room from someone who needs it much more than I. Can anyone tell me how the bathrooms are equiped on this ship. We are hoping to book a VC or VF room.

Thanks

Hi seniormiss,

Welcome to Cruise Critic! First of all, you will really like the Oosterdam, I had a great time on her in 2005 when I went to Alaska.

My personal opinion is that you should feel free to book a handicapped cabin. If you have limited mobility, then you are entitled to book a handicapped room. It is people who are NOT disabled who should not book them. But there is no contest for "I'm more disabled than you, I need it more" - everyone who is handicapped should be equally entitled to the HC cabins.

In particular, on HAL, most cabins have bathtubs. If you have difficulty getting into a standard bathtub, you can either request a non-handicapped shower-only room, or a handicapped room. But if you would feel safer with the grab bars and a shower with no lip, then by all means book a handicapped cabin!

You might want to pop over to the "Disabled Cruise Travel" section of Cruise Critic, too. People there have experience with a wide variety of ships and cabins and can help you make the best decision that will give you the most enjoyable cruise you can have!

-Etoile

My mom called and booked two rooms, she didn't give specific staterooms, just told the agent (w. the cruiseline) what category and the agent selected two rooms on the spot. they happened to be HC rooms. Mom didn't bother to ask specifics since the cabins were located within the area and category we were looking for. It wasn't booked GTY, as we knew, once she hung up the phone what cabins we were in. When we did some further research we found out the we HC and tried to switch, not wanting to take the space from someone who might actually need it. This was more then a couple months in advance...more like 12-18 months in advance...

I just found it odd. The agent never asked if we needed a HC room, my mom never asked for one, and when were assigned two, they wouldn't let us move.

It is sad that far out an agent would not ask if you needed a handicap cabin or not.

I booked my next Princess cruise 12 months out and I told my agent the handicap cabin number, she said "thats a handicap is there another cabin you would like?" Then I told her my Mom is in a wheelchair and we would need it. She put us into the HC cabin I mentioned.

I can't say I like your agent for doing that without asking.

At another agency they let me switch cabins when one I prefered opened up after booking. Very strange your TA will not make a simple change like that.

Please email me at Bicepeak@aol.com with that company's name. Don't worry I won't embarass you or involve you in anything, I just want to know which company to avoid.

Also, I don't blame you in the least for being in a HC cabin....that TA should have known better.

Thanks

seniormiss, welcome! I agree with etoile, if you have a need for special bathroom access then you should request either a shower only room or an HC. Far better for you to have an HC room than someone like myself who does not have any special needs. I think that is what has many people on her all inflamed. Reqestiing an HC room because it may have a large bathroom or balcony while you dont need special access isnt really nice. But HAL does seem to allow it, karma has funny ways of coming back to haunt you. I wanted a larger veranda, so I booked a aft room, I would hate to think that someone like my grandmother or mother wouldnt be able to go on a trip because they couldnt get a room to accomodate them because of something like this, but thats my opinion

seniormiss: handicapped accessible cabins are not intended for the sole use of passengers in wheelchairs - on new ships like Oosterdam they are equipped for deaf (vibrating tones) blind(braille) and otherwise disabled. if you need grab bars then I think, MPO, that you need a handicapped cabin. we have had such cabins on both the westerdam and the oosterdam because my partner is an amputee who uses a scooter or wheelchair. the cabins you mention are equipped in the bathroom with a rollin shower with grab rails, and the toilet also has grab bars. for the users of wheelchairs, there are no lips between the level of the cabin and the bathroom, and the door to the balcony is ramped. i would suggest you get in touch with the special needs department of HAL, and discuss your needs with them. you should also consider requesting wheelchair assistance for boarding and disembarking the ship. oh yes, the roll-in shower also has a fold down seat so you don't have to stand.:)

Archived