Ladies, please be aware of the new air regulations

greatam

Don't waste the money for TSA locks. Depending on the airport, lots of TSA screeners are VERY lazy. If they don't have the key or are too lazy to find the key, or, or , or (they have a LOT of excuses), they will use the good ole' bolt cutters on the locks anyhow. JFK, LGA and LAX seem to be the worst for TSA screeners with major attitude

Mine were taken off my suitcases within 3 months of purchase.

Use the brightly colored (I like the florescent ones) zip ties. Available almost everywhere-Lowe's, Home Depot, any electrical supply store, lots of other places. Much cheaper. Put two to each zipper/opening. Almost impossible for a thief to get both of them off in the short "window of opportunity". Don't forget the nail clippers in your purse or outside pocket of your carryone.

Look here....these came out after 911 I think.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/searchalert.htm

I've not used them - just used the cable ties. And no one has opened my luggage so far...

Thank you very much I appreciate it. :) I've saved it and while not flying immediately will probably order some if we go to the USA for return flight. I assume these are only good for USA travel, international travel and theywon't have a key?

Anyone have any information would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Just found this on the Transportation Security Administration web site re: the new security guidelines: "some solid or powdered cosmetics items are permitted past the checkpoint; however that is left to the discretion of the security officer."

So I take that to mean that you will "probably" not positively, but probably, be able to carry the hard tubes of lipstick and / or chapstick on board, as well as powered make up such as Bare Essentuals or Bare Minerals. And heh, the rest can go in the other luggage. Yea!!!:D gg

I thought the exact same thing - I will take my lipstick that is most used up in my carry on and my best lipsticks in my other luggage. You are darn sure right about the insurance on makeup and perfumes. :D gg

Thank you very much I appreciate it. :) I've saved it and while not flying immediately will probably order some if we go to the USA for return flight. I assume these are only good for USA travel, international travel and theywon't have a key?

Anyone have any information would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

As I posted previously, don't waste your money. East Coast airports (BOS is not toooo bad) have major attitudes in their TSA screeners. They WILL cut the locks off (LAZY) and give you one of MANY, MANY excuses.

And as you stated, not good for international travel.

I was watching news reports yesterday and most security checkpoints at the major airports were not allowing ANY kind of makeup at all. One poor girl was in tears because she had to get rid of her whole makeup bag. I think if I had been watching the news for the past few days, I wouldn't have even risked it. They were also showing all the bins full with perfume and expensive creams. I guess if you are traveling just with a carry on, you don't have a choice, but if you're checking luggage, the best bet appears to put the makeup inside that. Personally, I envision the days of large carryons coming to an end very soon too.

I take the TSA statement to mean that the hard tube lipsticks and chapsticks, as well as powdered make ups are allowed w/in USA travel, BUT not all security agents are on the same page yet, so some might not allow it. I am sure some hard, fast rules that are more specific will be forthcoming, maybe before most of us fly. Bottom line though - WHATEVER - it takes to keep us safe. gg

gg3, Absolutely, I'd rather be safe and have dry lips than have anything dangerous happen to me or anyone else in the entire world.

I'm sort of looking forward to people not being allowed to bring so much onto airplanes. We carry on our toiletry bag en route to our vacations, but will check it on the way home. It is delightful to just walk off an airplane without carrying anything other than a purse.

Years ago I bought a specific carpetbag style piece of luggage to carry all liquid items ( in ziplock bags ) so that I didn't have to worry about spills in the regular luggage. It gets checked everytime .. so now all I have to worry about are the chapstick and eyedrops ... but we all have to make some small sacrifices in times of crisis.

My DH was in London, headed home, from Heathrow on the morning that this all began........Thursday. He had a new laptop, a camera, and an expensive MP3 player, and his cell phone in his carryon..................they all had to be checked. He was allowed a clear plastic bag with his tickets, his passport, his glasses, no case, and that was it. He also could carry enough meds to get him through the flight. I think checking my meds would be my biggest concern. My understanding is that in the US, you can take your carry on, and purse, electronics, and anything but liquids. You can, however CHECK your liquid stuff, like makeup, so put them in ziplocs, and off you go. I wonder, too, if any international flights are also "no carry-on"...........

All these restrictions are certainly not fun, but so much better than the alternative! Thank God that plot was foiled............

Has anybody seen anything about roll-on deodorant? Can that still be carried on domestic flights here in US?

Thanks!

Liquid and gel deodorants may noy be carried on. Solids are ok, but it will be up to the TSA agent - they are leaving many gray areas up to them.

Liquid and gel deodorants may noy be carried on. Solids are ok, but it will be up to the TSA agent - they are leaving many gray areas up to them.

Ok, thanks. I'm asking for my husband, who travels 2 - 3 times per month and always just carries his bag on. He uses solid roll-on when he travels and I didn't know if it could be considered a gel.

Hi All,

I just got home (it's late Sunday night). I traveled to Minneapolis on Thursday morning (when the restrictions began) and home this evening.

Thursday morning, the security lines were over an hour long (at 8:00 in the morning.) Today, the lines were considerably shorter (people are getting to the airport earlier.)

The security agents are throwing out liquids of most types (mentioned in above posts.) I travel with nasal sprays (prescription and non-prescription) and asthma inhalers. I did not have any of the medications or inhalers taken from me.

However, if you buy water or a soda in the airport after getting through security, they will not let you take it on the plane. So, unless you have time to consume it, don't buy it.

On Thursday, I went to the airport not expecting to check my bags, but had to (or throw out all my liquids...which I did not want to do.) I took all of my jewelry and medications on the plane in my carry on. Many of the bags going through security were checked by hand individually.

Some bags/people were 'randomly' checked again before boarding the plane. So, prepare for extra time at the airport.

Amy in San Diego

Cruising Alaska on the Mercury, August 25, 2006

I have been to/through all of the above-mentioned airports in the past year + and my TSA locks have not been destroyed, but my bags have been searched (TSA message left inside luggage). I pack everything in clear bags (either cleaners bags or giant baggies) so it's easy to see what is in each bag.

On a silly note: the dirty clothes were just thrown in one bag and that bag was opened but not disturbed AT ALL!

some advice.. instead of cramming all your carry on stuff into the main suitcase, check the carry on bag.. a friend tried putting it all in her suitcase and yup, they charged her 25.00 for the bag being 'heavy',, this was this morning at fll airport

some advice.. instead of cramming all your carry on stuff into the main suitcase, check the carry on bag.. a friend tried putting it all in her suitcase and yup, they charged her 25.00 for the bag being 'heavy',, this was this morning at fll airport

Not sure why you removed my reply? I simply don't see the reason to check your carryon. ???

I don't understand why you would want to check a carryon? I agree with happysinglemom, what is the purpose of a carryon if it's checked?

For me, I don't care if I have to check my toiletries. I do however care about having a carryon for jewelry, medicine, and some clothing and my handbag. Are they not allowing chewing gum on the flight? That is a bad thing. I hate to chew but do need to for ear pressure, (chewing helps them pop).

MY DH will not check his camera equipment. If it came down to that, I think I'll just fedex stuff to the location and back home. I heard people do that and they swear by it. They travel and just fedex their stuff from one location to the next and travel with a carryon.

I do however care about having a carryon for jewelry, medicine, and some clothing and my handbag. Are they not allowing chewing gum on the flight? That is a bad thing. I hate to chew but do need to for ear pressure, (chewing helps them pop). MY DH will not check his camera equipment.

Absolutely I will have my jewelry and camera in my carryon - no way would I check that. And I'll have a change of clothes too. Last time our luggage made it to the room before we did :D , but I know we can't count on being that lucky all the time.

It took them a while to get there, but they have spelled it all out pretty clearly now.

One thing I had not thought of - the gel-filled shoe inserts. I place inserts in my running shoes after they get high mileage, but I don't use the gel type, and I don't travel in my running shoes (too expensive!!). However many people use those inserts in their everyday shoes, and it would be easy to forget about them. Also they have the gel bras on the forbidden list. Man....what if that was what you were wearing - would that show up??? And....if you had to remove it??? Hmmmm....:confused:

It took them a while to get there, but they have spelled it all out pretty clearly now.

One thing I had not thought of - the gel-filled shoe inserts. I place inserts in my running shoes after they get high mileage, but I don't use the gel type, and I don't travel in my running shoes (too expensive!!). However many people use those inserts in their everyday shoes, and it would be easy to forget about them. Also they have the gel bras on the forbidden list. Man....what if that was what you were wearing - would that show up??? And....if you had to remove it??? Hmmmm....:confused:

HappySM, do you have the website please? I'm not planning on flying in the near future, but always good to know for "just in case" ?

Thanks for the update.

Here is the current list of items - and if they are permitted in carryon or checked:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I am preparing to cruise soon and am making some 'adjustments' to my carryon - no toothpaste I guess (altho I did find a wrapped toothbrush I picked up somewhere which is impregnated w/toothpaste - all you have to do is wet it - there's a new product idea!), use solid deodorant, using santized packaged wipes instead of gel hand sanitizer, bought some creme/compact foundation instead of the liquid/tube I use. Also have those makeup removing cloths which can replace cleansers - still stuck on a moisturizer tho? And I generally use lipsticks/glosses in tubes so will have to hunt something down that is allowed! I have eye pencils/eye shadow which should be okay - but not sure if mascara is allowed? They say liquid mascara is prohibited? Not sure if that means all tube mascaras?

Sure is challenging!

Froufie

(altho I did find a wrapped toothbrush I picked up somewhere which is impregnated w/toothpaste - all you have to do is wet it - there's a new product idea!), use solid deodorant, using santized packaged wipes instead of gel hand sanitizer, bought some creme/compact foundation instead of the liquid/tube I use. Also have those makeup removing cloths which can replace cleansers - still stuck on a moisturizer tho? And I generally use lipsticks/glosses in tubes so will have to hunt something down that is allowed! I have eye pencils/eye shadow which should be okay - but not sure if mascara is allowed? They say liquid mascara is prohibited? Not sure if that means all tube mascaras?

Yes, tube mascaras are prohibited - they are a gel. The only cosmetic I usually carry in my carryon is lipstick - and now that they allow that, I am all set. :) Hand lotion would be nice, but I'll just do without.

Those pre-pasted toothbrushes can be found in your dentist's office - I suspect they will start to market them as a consumer item now.

Archived