Ladies, please be aware of the new air regulations

greatam

NO LIQUIDS-perfume, shampoo, conditioner, etc. will not be allowed on ANY flight. These new regulations just ended the smuggled booze questions. And if you are flying to Europe through the UK, NO hand luggage. VERY, VERY limited items are allowed on board.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp

The bigget shocker was that women could no longer carry handbags on board from the UK to the US. I wonder if this would be extended to briefcases, etc. I am sure that the restricitions will settle down as soon as the officials can sort through all the implications of this latest threat.

HH

The confusing/frustrating part is that we can't lock our luggage and now they are telling us to put the things that we would hand carry in checked baggage for safety. Most of the things we hand carry we do because we don't want to lose them in the baggage area.

I understand the reasoning but it does post a dilemma doesnt it :o

NO LIQUIDS-perfume, shampoo, conditioner, etc. will not be allowed on ANY flight. These new regulations just ended the smuggled booze questions. And if you are flying to Europe through the UK, NO hand luggage. VERY, VERY limited items are allowed on board.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp

wow...very strict, we are planning a med cruise in august of 2007 and it leaves from england, do you think these rules are permanent?

The bigget shocker was that women could no longer carry handbags on board from the UK to the US. I wonder if this would be extended to briefcases, etc. I am sure that the restricitions will settle down as soon as the officials can sort through all the implications of this latest threat.

HH

No laptop cases, no brief cases. Take your passport and ID in a plastic bag and board the plane.

I am on the Stratfor website right now (industry security). Evidently a US government official with classified papers in a briefcase has been told either check the papers or don't fly.

How co-incidental that the US is still missing 8 out of 11 Egyptian "students" who landed at JFK within the last 10 days. Spooky stuff.

The confusing/frustrating part is that we can't lock our luggage and now they are telling us to put the things that we would hand carry in checked baggage for safety. Most of the things we hand carry we do because we don't want to lose them in the baggage area.

I understand the reasoning but it does post a dilemma doesnt it :o

Put brightly colored ZIP TIES on your luggage. If TSA wants into them, they will cut the ties, replace with their own ties and leave you a nice little note. TSA ties are grey or white. You will know IMMEDIATELY if someone was in your luggage if you use the florescent green, orange, blue or red zip ties. Available at Lowe's, Home Depot and many other places.

wow...very strict, we are planning a med cruise in august of 2007 and it leaves from england, do you think these rules are permanent?

Not particularly, but if the terrorists keep making threats and plotting against airliners, the US may go to no hand luggage on ANY flight. I sure would rather loose my camera, perfume, or anything else than get blown up in the middle of the Atlantic.

Think again :eek:

I was on my way home, just moments ago, when I heard on the news they were not allowing any liquids on any flights, there is a serious terrorist threat going on right now. I think it started yesterday, I've not read the news this morning.

This may change the way we all pack! I can't imagine having all my valuables in an unlocked suitcase :mad: . It does make me a bit angry, but if it saves lives, we all have to comply. I suppose I'll just have to eliminated the valuables in the future.

I do feel sorry for those who are travelling today and the next few days. All their careful planning with toiletries and such and they have to dump everything out into bins!

Think again :eek:

!

I know about the liquid items being prohibited......I was referring to the strict UK regs of not allowing much at all for carry-ons ie: purses, books, etc.

That does seem a bit extreme!!!!! :rolleyes:

Don't panic yet! This situation is only temporary.

The British Government Minister for Transport said this morning:

'This heightened level of security will last only as long as the situation demands, we will keep this under review.'

It has only been instituted this morning in view of the current situation with the discovery of a terrorist plot to detonate explosives carried onto aircraft in hand baggage. Although 21 people have been arrested I presume the security services are worried that others involved may still be at large and are therefore taking no chances.

I have to clarify that liquids are not being allowed in carry on luggage, not checked luggage (at least at this time).

It is a developing story and not all the facts are in. If you are travelling anywhere by air in the next few days, pack everything into your suitcase, carry on only the essentials. There is an allowable list on the link that greatam posted in the very first post here.

By no means do I want to alarm anyone, just be careful and compliant with the authorities. We are once again experiencing what terrorists are capable of doing to the whole human race. I do hope this is resolved soon and the terrorists are stopped.

Put brightly colored ZIP TIES on your luggage. If TSA wants into them, they will cut the ties, replace with their own ties and leave you a nice little note. TSA ties are grey or white. You will know IMMEDIATELY if someone was in your luggage if you use the florescent green, orange, blue or red zip ties. Available at Lowe's, Home Depot and many other places.

They will put ties back on, not of any certain color. I recently had this happen and they did not leave a note either. I know they opened my luggage because the zip tie was a different color. I used white and it was replaced with blue.

On MSNBC, Homeland Security and the TSA have also announced that they will enforce a new law regarding prescriptions drugs on board planes. I know many of you take your drugs in those days of the week containers, but now, all drugs must be in their original containers and the name on the label must exactly match the name on your documents and ID.

My thinking too-although mine is a TA of northwest Europe next year and then to Canada before it ends in NJ. Ofcourse I will just being flying to London and not from London-I hope I can bring my shampoo! If not I better just buy a wig-because that is the only shampoo

that makes my hair decent.

You know at first I was booked on the Jewel of the Seas TA before it was canceled to do the drydock-back then on the roll call was one couple who changed canceled their booking because the husband was afraid to fly to London because of last summer's bombings.

I don't feel that way. I understand there was a foiled plot right in Atlanta. Ga and I live in a suburb of Atlanta--the news just was not released about it until a few weeks after the danger was over-so my thinking is we can be in the wrong palce at the wrong time-no matter where we live or what we do for vacation.

A friend of mine, who leaving in a few days for a cruise out of London, asked me this: What is everyone going to do with cameras? With no carry ons or even bigger purses allowed, what's everyone going to do about their cameras? No iPods, laptops or CD players anymore either. For that matter, for those flying to Europe, what are you going to do about taking your jewelry? I told him his wife could dress up like Mr. T and wear all her jewelry on the flight LOL.

A friend of mine, who leaving in a few days for a cruise out of London, asked me this: What is everyone going to do with cameras? With no carry ons or even bigger purses allowed, what's everyone going to do about their cameras? No iPods, laptops or CD players anymore either. For that matter, for those flying to Europe, what are you going to do about taking your jewelry? I told him his wife could dress up like Mr. T and wear all her jewelry on the flight LOL.

Or just bring costume-because the real WILL come up missing if you pack it in your checked bags.

Pretty soon the airlines will realize how dangerous it is to let people on board aircraft and will ban all people from the aircraft (carry-on and checked).

Sucks to not be able to carry anything on though, because you never know where your bags are going to end up and in what condition.

I have this same thought in mind. I can do without my real jewelry and only take along costume, I already go without electronic stuff, but I really want to take our nice camera on vacation! The thought of packing our camera in an unlocked suitcase is dismaying. I'm not worried about film (it's digital), I would worry about theft :mad: . No matter how carefully the TSA screens its hires, there are people there who steal.

Pretty soon the airlines will realize how dangerous it is to let people on board aircraft and will ban all people from the aircraft (carry-on and checked).

Sucks to not be able to carry anything on though, because you never know where your bags are going to end up and in what condition.

:D :D :D You are bad, but I'm glad you can make a joke and this thread is not one of sorrow.

This is the latest, published on the Toronto Pearson airport authority website:

The following security measures have been put in place by the federal government until further notice:

Effective immediately, for all flights to and from the United Kingdom and the United States, liquids or gels in containers of any size are not permitted to be brought onboard by passengers; this includes liquids or gels in carry-on baggage;

Effective immediately all flights, including Canadian domestic flights, liquids or gels in containers of any size are not permitted to be brought onboard by passengers; this includes liquids or gels in carry-on baggage.

Liquids or gels in containers of any size include: all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, toothpaste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency. Passengers should pack liquids or gels in checked baggage.

Passengers may bring aboard baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is travelling. Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket, insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines are allowed.

The Government of Canada advises all air travellers to keep these measures in mind when preparing for a flight, and to contact their carrier regarding any possible delays.

The latest news reports are saying the American, Continental and United airlines from the UK to various major US cities were targeted.

Basically, they are saying to check everything, but especially all liquids and gels. This may change the way I pack for my trip to Italy next week!

Just thankful that the British investigators were able to foil the plot, hopefully in time. What's a little inconvenience compared to the possible alternative horror?

:D :D :D You are bad, but I'm glad you can make a joke and this thread is not one of sorrow.

I was just remembering a story that my mother told me of one of her flights in the last couple of years. She said that the screeners took a lady carrying a baby in a carrier out of line, went through all of their stuff, patted her down, and made her take the clothes off the baby (diaper? yikes!) and went through the blankets & what not on the carrier. :eek:

p.s. yes, I'm bad :D

Archived