Florence - walk or drive; Currency in Europe

Hello,

I am sort of torn apart - I wonder whether I should get a driver in Florence; I visited Florence 8 years ago and absolutely loved it; We stayed then several days and, of course, we walked. Now, we'll be on Millenium cruise and I cannot decide. On one hand - we'll be there only one day, I will be with my parents who are 71, never been in Italy and for my father it'll be difficult to walk all day long and or he'll walk slowly; on the other hand - I am concerned that if we get a driver - we will not experience what Florence is about, I think walking the streets itself gives you sense and spirit of the city. PLEASE HELP!!!

question no 2: my father (who lives overseas) just told me that dollar in Europe is artificially lowered. He said it's better to buy euro in the States; is it true? If yes, how much money are you allowed to bring?

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!!

The issue of a driver is not driving versus walking. A driver can drop you in places you can not get to with your own car and can leave you places without you having to look for a parking space - they arrange to pick you up at an agreed upon time. This was a big help to us in Florence where many of the streets downtown are restricted to commercial (including limo) traffic.

Regarding Euros, we bought some euros from a major national bank in the states before we left for a rate of $1.3417. We got to Europe and used ATMs and the rate was $1.2820. Using an ATM gives a very good exchange rate.

Hi! We had a private driver in Florence in early June and she was terrific. Had a huge a/c van. She asked us what we would like to see, and how much time we hoped to spend in each attraction before we went. We spent time in Florence, did the Academia, Duomo, walked around a bit, then we had a private winery tour, which was awesome, and then to PIsa, and back to our ship. I would ask your Dad how he might feel about borrowing a wheel chair from the cruise line. That way if he gets tired or anyone of your party gets tired, they always have a seat.

As far as money is concerned, we brought a minimal amount of Euros from home. Bought tip packs from AAA, rate was lousy but had some cash on hand. You can access your checking account with a MAC card from most ATM's in Europe. The rate overseas is much better, than at home, just ask your bank to up your withdrawl limit for the time you have away, and remember to bring 2 Mac cards, just in case the machine eats one. Your ship will also turn US dollars into Euros but the exchange rate will be higher.

Have a great cruise,

Barb

Yes, definitely go with the ATMs in Europe to get cash.

I just got back from my Med cruise 1 week ago today.

We used our ATM cards in Barcelona and Corisca at the beginning of our trip to get all the Euros we would need for our 12 days.

The exchange rate was $1.284. The ship was also exchanging USD for Euros but at a rate of $1.337.

Thank you, everybody, it was really helpful!!!!

I guess, I didn't word it correctly re: walking or driving. I didn't mean I would drive, my question is: do you really need a car with the driver if you want to see the main attractions? I don't remember how big Florence is....

I am pathetic, I know! :o Just want it to be perfect for them. Thank you, again!!!

Hi Mamaof2,

I am in the exact same situation, we are traveling with my parents(70 and

75). My Dad is experiencing some health concerns. I also want this to be perfect since I know this is a trip of a lifetime with them.

So I did book private tours on what I considered the more "port intensive"

days; Naples, Rome, Florence. We are taking half day tours via cruise ship for our time in Turkey and then on our own for the rest of the ports(they have easy public transportation and not quite as much to see) so that I do not "wear out" my parents.

I did the private tours so that we can control the pace and the driver can help limit our walking.

This is how I looked at it, hope it helps.

Susan (aka "going crazy trying to plan the perfect vacation")

Thank you, Susan!

It makes sense. I think I am going to book a cab for the whole day, plus I am going to book a russian-speaking guide for a half of the day (since my parents don't speak good English). That's why I don't think the tour from the ship will be good for us. Thank you for your support. It is, indeed, once-in-a lifetime trip for them.

Natalie (my husband also thinks I am crazy!).

Thank you, Susan!

It makes sense. I think I am going to book a cab for the whole day, plus I am going to book a russian-speaking guide for a half of the day (since my parents don't speak good English). That's why I don't think the tour from the ship will be good for us. Thank you for your support. It is, indeed, once-in-a lifetime trip for them.

Natalie (my husband also thinks I am crazy!).

I just got back from the Med cruise with my 81 year old mother. Even with a driver who could take us into every piazza, minimizing the walking, my mother reached her limit. Definitely get a driver, if your dad gets tired, he can sit in the van while you continue exploring around the piazzas.

Thank you, everybody who answered!

Taking a risk to sound annoying - how many stops did you make (car) while in Florence? If I take a wheel chair for my dad instead of driving - would it make a difference? I am probably wrong, but somehow it seems like you wouldn't get a chance to sense Florence and just walking has its own charm. Could anybody please give me more details about cab and your opinion re: driver v. wheel chair. THanks a lot!

We used a private driver (Guido) in Florence ... HUGE advantage! First of all you won't be driving around trying to find parking ... he will drive you right up to the door of the museum, cathedral, etc. You may walk as much as you desire ... however, keep in mind that you have a VERY short time to see a LOT of "special" places. A driver will get you to each one quickly ... then spend your time enjoying that particular piaza, museum, etc. Another advantage - if you plan to see David ... our driver pre-booked tickets and walked us right up to the door - past a two block long line! Saved us at least an hour of waiting in line. Use you time to it's best advantage ... get a GOOD driver.

Mama:

We also use Guido of limoinrome.com and this is what we did:

We had asked to skip Pisa to spend more time in Florence. He took us to a small town overlooking Florence which had a fabulous view. Then he took us to a monestary overlooking Florence from a different angle. The monestary was beautiful to see as well. Then we stopped at a third overlook where we had a great view of the Ponte Veccia. He then drove us into Florence itself. he let us out in a plaza not far from the Academia and alked us to the front of the line for our reservations to see David. When we were through (about an hour), we had arranged to meet him at the exit. He then drove us to a plaza close to the PonteVeccia where he had made reservations for us for lunch (at our request) at a very nice restaurant. After lunch, we had a couple hours to stroll around that area for shopping. We met him at the plaza and he drove us back to the ship.

We were a group of 6 active adults so we did a good bit of walking on our own - which we wanted to do. Some of the things we did would be diffficult with a wheelchair (Such as seeing the monestary). But I am sure he would adapt the schedule to your needs (and your dad's) as well. While driving, Guido did an excellent job of explaning what we were driving past. He obviously knows the city and the area well. I imagine you could email him through the website and discuss your specific neeeds with him.

Archived