Clothing

Granny137

I am used to packing light for travel, and utilizing "layers" and interchangeable pants/tops etc. What kind of jacket is necessary for the Alaska cruises. Will a regular parka be sufficient or is a waterproof ski parka needed? Also, are sweats appropriate for day wear?

I am used to packing light for travel, and utilizing "layers" and interchangeable pants/tops etc. What kind of jacket is necessary for the Alaska cruises. Will a regular parka be sufficient or is a waterproof ski parka needed? Also, are sweats appropriate for day wear?

When are you going to Alaska? We went twice in May and once in Sept-didn't do the Denali thing - just a cruise. May was warmer than Sept which we found to be rainy. This past May it was really warm in Juneau and we walked around in t-shirts and jeans and could have worn shorts! I think a parka will be a bit of an over kill. I would suggest a sweatshirt and a wind breaker. The only time we felt cold was the morning we cruised the glacier-you are surrounded by ice! Sweats are fine, depending on when you're going or you will just need jeans etc.

The weather in Alaska is extremely variable. The thing to do is to dress in layers. I wear a t-shirt, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve wool shirt and a waterproof windbreaker, with a hat and gloves. Then I am ready for anything, and can take off layers on those nice sunny days! I don't think you will need a parka unless you plan on getting off the beaten track.

You can see the various styles of dress in our group in the pics at

Zuiderdam to Alaska

Have a GREAT cruise!

Alot depends on how warm blooded you are. I was on Dawn last week and when sailing Tracy Arm ( as well as one of the sea days) I was really happy to have my ski jacket and knit gloves.

On Port days windbreakers and sweatshirts were all that we needed. Just make sure you have something with a hood in case it rains.

If you decide not to bring a warm jacket and you get cold on deck you can get a wool deck blanket from the ship locker.

Archived