Princess now docking at Crown Bay - ? for Islander

Redsgj

This article (http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=17595311) says that three of Princess' ships will now use the Crown Bay pier exclusively starting in October. We are going on the Crown Princess in October so I guess that means we are going to be docking at Crown Bay. When we were in St Thomas in January, we enjoyed the walk from town to the Havensight pier.

My question is - is it easily walkable from town to the Crown Bay pier? How long would it take and would there be sidewalks all the way like to Havensight?

Thanks!!

It's about the same distance maybe a little bit longer, but unfortunately, it's not along the waterfront. However, the walking route takes you past Frenchtown, where you may see fishermen selling their catch or take photos of St Ann's Catholic Church, and the seaplane dock where you might get good photos of the plane coming in.

Here's another thread on this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=398039

MS411: I had looked at a map of St Thomas, and I thought I saw Crown Bay was way west of town -- am I reading my map wrong? I thought Crown bay was west of Charlotte Amalie, and if thats the case, you'd have to walk all the way into town, thru town and then to Havensight. This would not be a short walk!!!

Well, isn't that special!

[sarcasm]I'm sure the change is being made strictly to enhance the passengers' cruise experience. Princess wouldn't benefit financially from this change, would they?[/sarcasm]

This throws a big monkey wrench into our plans to grab a dollar ride safari bus to Red Hook so we can catch the ferry to St. John. Is that even possible from Crown Bay? How long should we plan on the ride taking?

What is the standard taxi fare from Crown Bay to Charlotte Amalie? To Red Hook? Per person, of course! :( Plus tip.

Maybe we'll just stay on the ship.

I thought Crown bay was west of Charlotte Amalie, and if thats the case, you'd have to walk all the way into town, thru town and then to Havensight. This would not be a short walk!!!
No, it wouldn't be a short walk, but....why would you want to walk to Havensight?

Obviously, I wasn't very clear in my post :) ! I don't want to walk from Crown Bay to Havensight :eek:.

What I want to do is walk from Charlotte Amalie downtown to the Crown Bay pier. We found it easier and maybe even faster to walk from downtown back to the ship (which was docked at Havensight last time).

I was just wondering if it is possible/safe to do this to the Crown Bay pier! Thanks!

Hello,

In terms of easily walkable, its flat so easy enough. The distance is a bit longer; it takes about 30 minutes to walk from Havensight dock to downtown Charlotte Amalie's (by the fort, east side of shopping area). It would take likely 35 minutes to walk from Crown Bay to dowtown Charlotte Amalie (but the western side of the town which means you'd have still another maybe 8 minutes walk to get into the central shopping area. There are sidewalks some part of the way from Crown Bay to town. Its safe, along a busy road, not scenic like the walk along the harbor is from Havensight to town.

Crown Bay is west of town.

The bus and dollar rides route does head west, the University is west of Crown Bay and the routes go usually as far as the University some a bit further west. The return route is back through town, passed Havensight, passed Hospital and then sort of central island then east route. The closest bus stop area to Crown Bay I believe is by Nisky Center (a shopping/office center).

Crown Bay to downtown takes about 8 minutes and taxi cost is $4 pp and Crown Bay to Red Hook $11 pp and takes about 30-35 minutes. (Driving time in low/medium traffic.

--Islander

http://www.*****

There are sidewalks some part of the way from Crown Bay to town. Its safe, along a busy road, not scenic like the walk along the harbor is from Havensight to town.

Thanks for the info! Approximately how much of the walk would have sidewalks? For the parts where there is no sidewalk, where would we be walking? Is there any areas of "interest" which we would walk past?

If it's not a sidewalk, there's something to walk on like part of a paved road or gravel, I think. I've done it often enough, so it must not be that big of a deal if there's no sidewalk. It's probably 75% sidewalk, though.

On the right, you'll pass a marina, a sugar cane stand, some local restaurants, the Dept of Motor Vehicles, a car rental, lots of other businesses, Frenchtown, the Post Office, a fruit stand, and the sea plane. Nothing exciting.

If you take the $1/$2 safari from Nisky, it'll take you further west passing the airport and University of the Virgin Islands, where it terminates and then heads back east. They'll probably charge you an additional fare since you'll now be going in the opposite direction. You can walk to Lindbergh Beach from the stop closest to the airport.

Ms411, Good thing to note about being on the correct side of the road to catch the bus/dollar ride going in the direction you want to go in.

Isn't there a bus stop on the opposite side of the road from Nisky for people heading into town?

--Islander

Will the distance to Red Hook be about the same?

sppunk - Crown Bay to Red Hook 30-35 minute drive, Havensight to Red Hook 17-20 minute drive... in low/medium traffic.

jbrambach - I don't know of any private charters that depart from Crown Bay to St. John; there may be a cruise excursion that offers this - check and see what your ship offers.

--Islander

Islander, the bus/safari stop heading in the direction of town isn't directly across the street from Nisky. I think it's across the intersection and across the street, and they make the left turn at that street where the outdoors Latin bars are (the road that takes you to Island View Guest House) where there's another sheltered bus stop.

If you go into town, you can take a ferry to St John and back. Islander has the link to the ferry schedule. The safari heading to town, however, also goes to Red Hook for $2 and you can take the ferry to St John from there. From Crown Bay, add maybe 10 minutes to the trip from Havensight.

Islander, what is the best way, both distance and cost, to get from Crown Bay to the Tram to Paradise Point?

We will be on the Caribbean Princess in St Thomas, in a couple months, (November 2nd). Our excursion book is still showing the Princess excursion to Paradise Point as $15 and a "short walk, 5-15 minutes" to the base of the tram.

Well, isn't that special!

[sarcasm]I'm sure the change is being made strictly to enhance the passengers' cruise experience. Princess wouldn't benefit financially from this change, would they?[/sarcasm]

This throws a big monkey wrench into our plans to grab a dollar ride safari bus to Red Hook so we can catch the ferry to St. John. Is that even possible from Crown Bay? How long should we plan on the ride taking?

What is the standard taxi fare from Crown Bay to Charlotte Amalie? To Red Hook? Per person, of course! :( Plus tip)

My thoughts exactly when I first heard it. I have already emailed Princess Customer Relations and complained. As you said I will bet you a $$ to a donut it is all about money or some type of incentive for them to dock there since they are trying to build this up. Like you this has thrown a wrench in my plans for Red Hook. As I predicted the cab ride over to red hook is much longer and I can just see sitting in all that traffic going there as you go through town. So how about Princess stepping up and contracting out it's own Ferry Service to St. Johns for a reasonable price. :rolleyes: Now if they do that I will be just a tad happier of course I won't be holding my breath.

I will bet you a $$ to a donut it is all about money or some type of incentive for them to dock there since they are trying to build this up.

See this other earlier article I found (http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=17593322)

Princess is getting incentives for bringing more passengers.

It wouldn't bug me so much if they would guarantee that the shops are going to be open starting October 1st but it seems as though they aren't. Seems to me Princess shouldn't start docking there until the shopping centre is totally ready.

I guess I get to keep my $$ and of course now that I think of it, donuts cost almost a $ now. :eek:

I agree with you about the shops but it has yet to be proven if they are as good as the ones on the other side and as I have stated my big issue is with the Travel Time to get to Red Hook. Princess can re-deem themselves if they start some type of reasonable Ferry Service to St. John or at least a boat to Red Hook to catch that Ferry. The drive will be much longer now.

Islander,

If you hear of any Ferry Service between Crown Bay and Red Hook or straight to St. Johns please let us know. I will now to re-evaluate how I am getting to St. Johns now. Might be that catching the Ferry to St. Johns from town may be better now vs. a cab to Red Hook. I guess all that will have to be worked out.

Thanks

Hi Islander - thanks for the great info!! What is the current state of the shopping at Crown Bay? Is the exterior construction done yet? Is there word on St Thomas as to whether or not it will be done by October?

Please keep us posted -- enquiring minds want to know!!:D

Thanks again!

Archived