is now a good time to buy CCL stock?

mikeytnj

Consider there appears to be no stopping the rise in crude prices and consequently the US economy is appearing to stall or even move into a recession as a result. I would think cruising would be on the low-end of priorities as people's expendable cash starts to dry up.

With that said, the PE is low and airlines are getting scary so perhaps people would look beyond the above mentioned issues and see the value in cruising.

Of course the above is a logical discussion and if anything is true about the stock market, it is that it isn't logical.

You're better off buying a mutual fund that has Carnival as part of it. Buying a stock because you like to cruise and it's low now doesn't guarantee a good return, or any return at all. Just don't buy it thinking it will make you rich or even just some money. The return on the stock market is good over 10+ years, but too volatile over the short run. I don't see anything happening in the travel industry that would make the stock increase dramatically, just gradually over years as do most stock.

One question, just because a stock is low doesn't mean it's a good investment, what research have you done to make you think this is a good time? A 52 week low doesn't mean a stock is a good investment. It could mean revenues are down or there's been a shake up somewhere personnel wise, or some investors know something and have dumped some stocks.

I personally didn't purchase the stock expecting to make a fortune. We purchased it for the share holders onboard credit. We fully intend to hold the stock for the next 30+ yrs until we are no longer able to cruise. We take 1-2 Carnival or Princess cruises each yr. Over the next 30 yrs that's 45 cruises x $100 for a 7 day sailing. I'll have more than gotten my original investment back. I can then sell the stock for it's value at that time (over long term history has proven the stock mkt increases). Not to mention that most quarters since we purchased our stock Carnival has issued dividend checks of $10-15/quarter.

I'd say if you plan to cruise frequently it's a good investment to own and HOLD......

I personally didn't purchase the stock expecting to make a fortune. We purchased it for the share holders onboard credit. We fully intend to hold the stock for the next 30+ yrs until we are no longer able to cruise. We take 1-2 Carnival or Princess cruises each yr. Over the next 30 yrs that's 45 cruises x $100 for a 7 day sailing. I'll have more than gotten my original investment back. I can then sell the stock for it's value at that time (over long term history has proven the stock mkt increases). Not to mention that most quarters since we purchased our stock Carnival has issued dividend checks of $10-15/quarter.

I'd say if you plan to cruise frequently it's a good investment to own and HOLD......

So you purchased the stock to enable you to receive an onboard credit. I suspect A LOT of people do this but there are those that will make it known to other pax and crew that they are "stockholders" :rolleyes: but fail to tell them they only own a few shares

I'm the first to tell people I own the minimum required shares (100) in order to receive my ship board credit. Don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket. However, I think you may be correct.....many may purchase the stock to get their credit and then "claim" to be something they truly may/may not be.

I'm the first to tell people I own the minimum required shares (100) in order to receive my ship board credit. Don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket. However, I think you may be correct.....many may purchase the stock to get their credit and then "claim" to be something they truly may/may not be.

Cheri = Thurston Howell III

I'm the first to tell people I own the minimum required shares (100) in order to receive my ship board credit. Don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket.

However, I think you may be correct.....many may purchase the stock to get their credit and then "claim" to be something they truly may/may not be.

Kudos to you then :) (can you put a bug in UB's ear that I'd like a free cruise:p)

Exactly....Thurston Howel III wannabes:rolleyes:

Archived